Tired of PAYING your bank to keep your money? They should be paying YOU.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
They are suing Westpac as well.
I have been with Westpac for YEARS, but I have not paid any fee's for a good 14 years. I think it comes down to what account style you have.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here in Australia, they are taking the big banks to court for bank fees on late payment for credit cards. ANZ charges $30 for an annual fee it's such a rip off.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-12/bank-fees-class-action-lodged/5664382

LOL, most banks in the US charge $35.00 in overdraft, even if it is just $1.00 over. :smiley-laughing021:In the checking fee alone for a personal checking at Bank of America, at $15.00/mo, that is $180.00. At Capital One 360, I can write checks for hundreds of dollars with nothing in the account, and only pay interest on what I have borrowed with no overdraft fee...if I wanted to. :) I envy the rest of the world which has moved into the 21st century with aplomb. :chargrined:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, as you can see from what CA said, we still have such BS going on, but if you are AWARE of their tricks and traps,, you can dodge nearly ALL such crap.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, as you can see from what CA said, we still have such BS going on, but if you are AWARE of their tricks and traps,, you can dodge nearly ALL such crap.

Yep, and I am finding that you can do this with a whole lot of things. But none of them are advertised! I guess that is a savings for them right there...no advertising. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The information is all out there, and they don't even try to hide it. In fact, it was the bank itself that said I should change my account setup to avoid the fee's. :lol:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
LOL, most banks in the US charge $35.00 in overdraft, even if it is just $1.00 over. :smiley-laughing021:In the checking fee alone for a personal checking at Bank of America, at $15.00/mo, that is $180.00. At Capital One 360, I can write checks for hundreds of dollars with nothing in the account, and only pay interest on what I have borrowed with no overdraft fee...if I wanted to. :) I envy the rest of the world which has moved into the 21st century with aplomb. :chargrined:
I think they should do something similar with online downloads and buying things online. I don't know why do I need to pay an overseas tax on top of the fact that they mark up the prices as well for something that consists nothing but 1s and 0s. Internet is really really expensive here and also public transport you guys have it so easy over there.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
So these are the rates here in Australia for credit cards. As you can such a rip off on so many levels.

http://compare.smh.com.au/credit-cards

Yeah. Our credit cards go as high as the 30 percent range. The advertised rates are "starting as low as". :icon_lol:

Our banks had even become abusive until the current administration regulated that credit abuse. They eliminated practices like dropping your limit then penalizing you for being over it, shifting you to biweekly payments without warning and penalizing you like you were late 30 days and hitting your credit score for each payment missed (twice a month), forced overdraft whether you wanted it or not then charging you penalties, etc. This regulation extended to debit cards where banks were reordering charges and/or withdrawals so your account would go into overdraft earlier and they would get to charge you more overdraft fees per transaction ($35 each transaction into overdraft). The new law prohibits banks from forcing overdraft on you and are required to get a written consent from you to opt-in.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think they should do something similar with online downloads and buying things online. I don't know why do I need to pay an overseas tax on top of the fact that they mark up the prices as well for something that consists nothing but 1s and 0s. Internet is really really expensive here and also public transport you guys have it so easy over there.

It's really not that great over here in terms of what you're describing. Granted, I don't know how it is in OZ so I admit I could be wrong. But still, things like Internet are not that great of a deal. We get screwed in many ways, like with data throttling and monthly fees in general.

And don't even get me going about how ridiculous it is to have to pay more for "e" transactions verses hard paper ones. For instance, I just renewed my car registration and it was actually cheaper for me to write out a paper check, put a stamp on an envelope and mail it in verses paying it online, which would have been way more convenient for everyone involved. The thing is, the people running the joint know that most people will pay the stupid online fee because they are too lazy to demand better terms of service. Plus it's a way for the DOT to keep paying salaries for union employees to sit on their butts. In short, it's a huge scam. I mean, it's actually more work for them to process paper checks but somehow it comes out cheaper to the consumer. How that works is beyond me.