Time for a "power trip"

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
OK
If YOU were in charge of Syfy's programming right now, what shows would you be airing in a "standard week" (i.e., no special events) You can choose from any show that exists now or from the past, and you can justify or not justify it as you wish. No other "rules" apply, so if you want to give WWE the arse, thats fine, and if you wish to use the "paid programming" space, thats cool too. All it has to do is make sense and not violate ratings (G/PG13/M/MA) laws.

Have at it people!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WOW...this is a loaded topic!

OK
If YOU were in charge of Syfy's programming right now, what shows would you be airing in a "standard week" (i.e., no special events) You can choose from any show that exists now or from the past, and you can justify or not justify it as you wish. No other "rules" apply, so if you want to give WWE the arse, thats fine, and if you wish to use the "paid programming" space, thats cool too. All it has to do is make sense and not violate ratings (G/PG13/M/MA) laws.

Have at it people!

A whole week? Thats difficult! How can you answer that without posting an entire week's schedule?

Lilith

GateFans Noob
Sorry.

I cancelled Syfy when SGU came out s I'm not up on what is on. SGU certainly wasn't family friendly or intelligent.

I don’t know if I can put forth an entire schedule, but I would love to see these shows fill the lineup. Feel free to plug in where I’ve left holes/add to your lineup. I’m assuming you need twice as many as normal since most shows have smaller episode orders than network shows - how many hours do you need anyway?

One thing I will admit, I kind of like the mini-marathons of shows no longer on the air during the day. And if the WWE brings in the cash so that they develop quality SCRIPTED shows (not just knockoffs of shows already on the air), then let them wrestle.

Fantasy:
Merlin
Legend of the Seeker

SciFi:
Sanctuary
Eureka
Warehouse 13
Stargates
Ark http://www.webseriesnetwork.com/profiles/blogs/ark-web-series-the-complete
V
Being Human (BBC)
Fringe
Dresden Files
The Lost Room
Babylon Fields. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_Fields

Retro shows (Maybe even a retro night):
Red Dwarf
Original Doctor Who
Star Trek (all series)
Firefly
Babylon 5
Farscape
Batman (Adam West & Burt Ward)
X-Files
Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits

I'm sure there are many more shows that I'd know if I saw it, but just can't remember right now.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
A whole week? Thats difficult! How can you answer that without posting an entire week's schedule?

You can't :)

I'm working on one right now (I used to do all the rosters for nearly every job I have ever held and find it a relaxing thing to do)

Edit: However, as a "basic weekly schedule" alot of your time will have the same stuff with different eps, so it's not as daunting as it first appears

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I did that too.

I cancelled Syfy when SGU came out s I'm not up on what is on. SGU certainly wasn't family friendly or intelligent.

I did the same. I did mine in November of 2009. The only reason I had cable was because of the SciFi Channel (yes, the older one), and Discovery and The Science Channel. When Atlantis was cancelled, I decided to wait until SGU came out. I wasnt hearing good things about it on Gateworld or other places before it was actually aired. But after Air Pt1 and Pt 2, I already did not like it. But when Earth aired on November 6th, I couldnt take it anymore and I cancelled my service on that day. Now its strictly Hulu and a variety of other online channels I watch. And of course there is my media collection where I can actually schedule complete programming for a whole week or more.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I did the same. I did mine in November of 2009. The only reason I had cable was because of the SciFi Channel (yes, the older one), and Discovery and The Science Channel. When Atlantis was cancelled, I decided to wait until SGU came out. I wasnt hearing good things about it on Gateworld or other places before it was actually aired. But after Air Pt1 and Pt 2, I already did not like it. But when Earth aired on November 6th, I couldnt take it anymore and I cancelled my service on that day. Now its strictly Hulu and a variety of other online channels I watch. And of course there is my media collection where I can actually schedule complete programming for a whole week or more.

See, it shouldn't be that hard for you :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes it is!

See, it shouldn't be that hard for you :)

All I have to so to create a weekly schedule (playlist) in Media Player or VLC is to drag files into a window. :) I think I need a spreadsheet for this.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
All I have to so to create a weekly schedule (playlist) in Media Player or VLC is to drag files into a window. :) I think I need a spreadsheet for this.

:rotflmao::laughing::rotflmao:

I iz "lotech cat", Mines on pen and paper :P

A Nonny Mouse

GateFans Noob
I don’t know if I can put forth an entire schedule, but I would love to see these shows fill the lineup. Feel free to plug in where I’ve left holes/add to your lineup. I’m assuming you need twice as many as normal since most shows have smaller episode orders than network shows - how many hours do you need anyway?

One thing I will admit, I kind of like the mini-marathons of shows no longer on the air during the day. And if the WWE brings in the cash so that they develop quality SCRIPTED shows (not just knockoffs of shows already on the air), then let them wrestle.

Fantasy:
Merlin
Legend of the Seeker

SciFi:
Sanctuary
Eureka
Warehouse 13
Stargates
Ark http://www.webseriesnetwork.com/profiles/blogs/ark-web-series-the-complete
V
Being Human (BBC)
Fringe
Dresden Files
The Lost Room
Babylon Fields. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_Fields

Retro shows (Maybe even a retro night):
Red Dwarf
Original Doctor Who
Star Trek (all series)
Firefly
Babylon 5
Farscape
Batman (Adam West & Burt Ward)
X-Files
Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits

I'm sure there are many more shows that I'd know if I saw it, but just can't remember right now.

These shows look good to me. I'd watch combinations of all these. :)

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
SciFI_schedule.png

As you can see, this is probably closer to what a real network exec would put out. Basically, my idea was to keep things as simple and flexible as possible so that 1) the channel isn't always repeating the same stuff and 2) more variety can maintain viewer interest in the channel. Plus you can put all the shows people want in without having to rework everything (although I'm not too in love with the 70s slot; it could be dropped and replaced with another hour of 2000s material).

As you can see, I got rid of wrestling, turned Monday into recap night for whatever shows are airing new episodes, got rid of all the reality shows aside from Hollywood Treasure since that has some value to scifi fans, made a night for older fantasy shows (new ones get the Tuesday slot if there's nothing else filling it), made Friday nights a movie block night, and put the Ani-Monday block on Saturday nights.

So a few words about Friday nights and the Anime block. First, the Friday night block is for marathons of films in a series, like the Star Wars Original Trilogy or Star Trek II - IV, or foreign language scifi films. The Anime block is for shows where the scifi/fantasy elements are fairly important, so stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Outlaw Star, Gundam, and Macross are OK. Shows that have scifi elements that are completely irrelevant and/or are pretty bad in terms of writing don't get in.

And of course, back to back airings of two Trek shows AND SG-1 and Atlantis (with SGU relegated to daytime airing, way down the list of shows to air).

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Okay here's what I'd like to see on Syfy. I hope I understood what you meant correctly.

I'll assume I can use shows that have been cancelled and bring them back, as well as using shows that have been pitched to Syfy but aren't airing yet. Oh, and since Syfy airs their programming in blocks over the year, I'm posting schedules for several different times of the year. Okay, here's my view of what their line-up should look like. I've only listed original scripted shows in time slots because anything else would be too time consuming.

Summer

Tuesday night
Warehouse 13, 8PM
I can't say that I'm a fan but the show pulls in great numbers of viewers to the channel so it stays.
Eureka, 9PM
It's fun enjoyable show that I'm still a casual fan of and it did good in this time slot last year.

Friday night
Haven, 8PM
Not a fan of the show, but if I remember correctly it did okay back when it first aired in 2010.
Alphas, 9PM
http://io9.com/#!5330939/syfy-picks-up-superpowered-pilot-alphas
Can't say that I'm very exited about the premise for this show, but it could do okay.
Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles, 10PM
Yes, let's say that this little show got picked up by Syfy after Fox cancelled it. It had its ups and downs but I hated how the show ended on that cliffhanger. From the look of the direction the show was going in at the end of season 2, it could've been a hell of a third season!

Fall

Monday night

V, 8PM
V is in danger of being cancelled so I think Syfy would be a good home for the show
Fringe, 9PM
Fringe is in danger of being cancelled by Fox so I really think that Syfy should pick it up if that happens.
Caprica, 10PM
This show had a real rocky start and they really could've told the entire first season over the course of 10 episodes, but the it showed some real promise towards the end of the season, epecially in "The Shape of Things to Come Sequence" so I would truly like to see it continue.

Wednesday night
Zeros, 9PM
http://blastr.com/2010/08/syfy-announces-7-new-scri.php
We really need more sci-fi comedy on tv, and this could be a good show. It has zombies, and that's a plus in my book. Actually, does anyone else thinks that this show sounds a bit like Ghostbusters but with zombies?
Saved by Zeroes, 9:30PM
http://www.movieweb.com/news/michael-rosenbaum-teams-with-syfy-for-saved-by-zeroes
Michael Rosenbaum back on tv? Sign me up.
Starcrossed, 10PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Dog's_Breakfast#Starcrossed_and_sequels
I'm sure pretty much everyone who's a fan of Atlantis would have liked to see this show on our screens, and in my little world it's already there.

Friday night
Sanctuary, 8PM
It's a good and entertaining show so it definitely stays.
Stargate Atlantis, 9PM
I really did not care for this show towards the end, however I think it still could've gotten back to the same level of quality it had during the first season. And if not, at least the fans who still liked the show will enjoy it.
Stargate Universe, 10PM
Yes, I still remember the name of this site, but I enjoy watching the show even though it's nothing groundbreaking or fantastic.

Sunday night
Jericho, 8PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses this show. It had such potential and with the end of the second season I just want to see how the second civil war plays out (I haven't read the comics because I've been unable to get them).
Pioneer One, 9PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_One
It's an okay independent project that has lots of potential, and with some minor changes (and recasting of some roles with bad actors in them) it could be good on Syfy.
Dresden Files, 10PM
So much potential, so few episodes.
Winter

Monday night

Star Trek: Phase II, 8PM
http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/
We really need more Star Trek on tv and this could be a good fit.
Star Trek: Hidden Frontier, 9PM
http://www.hiddenfrontier.com/
Probably the best ST fan series ever made. It would be great on tv, even though it would have to be recasted because most of its actors don't have a lot of range.
Sherwood, 10PM
A show about a Robin Hood style character on a space ship in the future that's produced by Kindler, Tapping and Wood. What more do you need?

Wednesday night
Zeros, 9PM
Saved by Zeroes, 9:30PM
Starcrossed, 10PM

Friday night
Orion, 8PM
More space based sci fi is a good thing, and I like the sound of this one.
Legend of the Seeker, 9PM
It's aliiiive!
Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles, 10PM
Spring

Monday night
V, 8PM
Fringe, 9PM
Caprica, 10PM

Wednesday night
Merlin, 8PM
It gets okay ratings so why not?
The Sarah Jane Adventures, 9PM
Seems like a good fit for Merlin and there's no other American channel that airs the show.

Friday night
Sanctuary, 8PM
Stargate Atlantis, 9PM
Stargate Universe, 10PM

Sunday night
Jericho, 8PM
Pioneer One, 9PM
Dresden Files, 10PM

Reruns of other shows spread out over the year
Doctor Who (new and classic)
Stargate
all Star Trek shows
Farscape
The X-Files
Alias
Firefly
Babylon 5
Twilight Zone
The Outer Limits
Crusade
V (original)
Sliders
etc.

As an alternate history fan I would also like to see a tv adaption of the 1632/Ring of Fire series, as well as a show that features characters who travels between alternate universes like Sliders.

Tropicana

Council Member
So a few words about Friday nights and the Anime block. First, the Friday night block is for marathons of films in a series, like the Star Wars Original Trilogy or Star Trek II - IV, or foreign language scifi films. The Anime block is for shows where the scifi/fantasy elements are fairly important, so stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Outlaw Star, Gundam, and Macross are OK. Shows that have scifi elements that are completely irrelevant and/or are pretty bad in terms of writing don't get in.
I really like the sci-fi anime block you got there. When I was younger, our Channel 4 (UK) would show sci-fi anime around midnight on Friday and Saturday nights and I would try and stay up all night to watch it until my parents found out.

Syfy currently is lacking some anime.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
I really like the sci-fi anime block you got there. When I was younger, our Channel 4 (UK) would show sci-fi anime around midnight on Friday and Saturday nights and I would try and stay up all night to watch it until my parents found out.

Syfy currently is lacking some anime.
They actually have AFAIK an anime block on Monday nights from 11PM to 2AM. I think it still has Gundam 00 and Darker than Black or something.