The Truth about the Bromance

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I have only seen a handful Supernatural episodes so far, and so haven't read fanfiction of that series. But like with everything, you must remember that they aren't real people and real brothers.

ahhh, yeah I do realise it mate, they are 2 actors on a show that bounce really well off eachother (bad choice of words), If the slash fans are slashing the actors, well, I get that, they are both, umm, "attractive", guys, but the characters??, that's just wrong.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
ahhh, yeah I do realise it mate, they are 2 actors on a show that bounce really well off eachother (bad choice of words), If the slash fans are slashing the actors, well, I get that, they are both, umm, "attractive", guys, but the characters??, that's just wrong.

so is Dumble/Harry pairing....Squick

stclare

Forgive my ignorance on the matter but is "Squick" a term between Squee and Sick?

Squick - yucky, makes your skin crawl, just plain wrong, all those kind of things. well thats how it was explained to me. Most fanfic writters use it as a warning on fics along with normaly dubious con(sent) etc.

fic may squick. = this fic has got some weird shit it in it and maybe upsetting to the reader!

It seems you havent immersed yourself in fanfic? i also had to get people to explain some of the terms used. it can be a scary place sometimes.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Forgive my ignorance on the matter but is "Squick" a term between Squee and Sick?

This isn't even a joke but years ago I was told that "squicking" means "skull-fucking a foetus".......... just so you know. :icon_e_confused:

stclare

I think they ignore the "brother aspect" and concentrate on the "good looking guys aspect." ;)
I mean slash writers ignore all kinds of other things, especially that most male characters are straight and are often shown together with women.

hey when has het canon ever stoped a slash writer? man theyve blown the woman up, turned the women into men and vice versa (@gatefan known as genderfuck/genderswitch) Crack fic can be awesome, yes i have read fic where John and Rodney are socks in a washing machine and sauce pots on a table even a flower and a bee - yes inter species sex....haha

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

It's times like this I'm glad I CAN read but choose NOT to most of the time. Some literature is painful on the eye, the mind & the soul.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
It's times like this I'm glad I CAN read but choose NOT to most of the time. Some literature is painful on the eye, the mind & the soul.
I wouldn't even use the word literature to describe some of it....UGH :puke:I tend to be picky about what I read (one reason I like the twilight & harry potter books...clean!) and have a certain rating I won't read above in fanfics as well.

stclare

I wouldn't even use the word literature to describe some of it....UGH :puke:I tend to be picky about what I read (one reason I like the twilight & harry potter books...clean!) and have a certain rating I won't read above in fanfics as well.

arhh but then you miss the LOLS..

back on topicish.. do you think the writers have purposly moved away from the friendships so completly because they were embaresed by it and have gone to far the other way, so now you cant even say any aboad the destiny are even friends? does having no friendships provide a better opportunity for character development?

podbaydoors

GateFans Noob
yes. i dont know how imo they could have created such engaging characters in sg1 and sga yet i cant see any of that in sgu. i know its darker , grittier etc i just dont see the chemistry. i belive however that the cast itself are probably friends and have a great laugh but that transfered to the screen - im not seeing it.

I don't think anyone sees any chemistry in these characters. For fun I often log onto GW just to see how many people are checking out the C & R folders, and I was just there. SG-1 and SGA both STILL have MANY times more people involved in the C & R threads, and always have. Pretty pathetic for a current show to be easily beaten out by a show that's been off the air for more than three years! But the secret to Stargate has always been the characters, and they've really mucked that up with SGU.

Why would anyone want to write any fanfic about these people? I used to write some ship fic and I just can't see writing any of that for this bunch of misfits. I just don't care about them. I may be simplistic, but they don't really have any redeeming qualities, and if I don't like the characters, I just can't get into writing about them.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I don't think anyone sees any chemistry in these characters. For fun I often log onto GW just to see how many people are checking out the C & R folders, and I was just there. SG-1 and SGA both STILL have MANY times more people involved in the C & R threads, and always have. Pretty pathetic for a current show to be easily beaten out by a show that's been off the air for more than three years! But the secret to Stargate has always been the characters, and they've really mucked that up with SGU.

Why would anyone want to write any fanfic about these people? I used to write some ship fic and I just can't see writing any of that for this bunch of misfits. I just don't care about them. I may be simplistic, but they don't really have any redeeming qualities, and if I don't like the characters, I just can't get into writing about them.

To be honest, I could imagine writing stuff about the Destiny and it's mission, but not with most of the current crew of errrrmmm, people on board.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
A bromance happens when two guys have hung around each other/worked together/ played together for long enough to actually care what happens to the other for more than just a feeling of 'obligation'.

Greer would save Scott's life and vice versa, but not because it's "them", rather just because it's their 'job'. That's not a bromance, that's a co-worker.

John and Rodney had a bromace. No two ways around it. When one was in severe trauma the other would always be there even if it was awkward as hell. Same with Ronon.

Slash? I could see where it's coming from ,but TBH that's not John. Rodney maybe but John is quite straight and while he seems to have no issues with gays, he clearly isn't given that he's canonically attracted to women, not men (Just look at how he peeks down Larrin's shirt when she leans towards him! :P)

Will that stop slashers? Nah. I draw the line at sharing bodily fluids, but a bromance is always fun.

I always find myself thinking of American Dad when it comes to whether it's 'slash' or not. When Stan tried to force himself to be gay, he just couldn't get excited. I see the same with John.

Friendships like that take time. It's natural for people to tease each other and such, and over the course they find out about each other, yadda yadda, next thing you know it's Rodney with a parasite in his brain and of all people he's calling out for John.

Here's a question, would John in the same situation call for Rodney? I don't think so. I think he would have tried to endure and stay quiet, but maybe he'd mutter something about Nancy.