The Truth about the Bromance

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
After watching a few eps, and seeing some of the screencaps of other eps I have come to the conclusion that there really is no mystery behind Scott & Greer's Bromance...Scott is Greer's bitch! Obviously Greer is the alpha male in that situation and while Chloe thinks she has Scott's heart, his heart (and other parts ;)) in reality belong to Greer. Chloe is merely Scott's "skirt"...because in the US military gays can't serve! So they are undercover (in more ways than one) to protect their careers! :eek:

sp23

GateFans Noob
Personally I think there isn't even a non sexual bromance between those two. A very strong friendship is necessary for that. I don't get that vibe from them. They are more like normal colleagues, which like each other, but not very strongly.

I agree with this. I don't see any sparks between the two at all. With McKay & Sheppard, the sparks lit up the screen! Not so much with these two. In fact, Scott pretty much shrugged his shoulders and left Greer behind in Lost. You would have had to drag Sheppard kicking and screaming through the gate before he would leave any of his team, let alone Rodney, behind, especially after only trying for about five minutes to dig the poor man out. I completely lost whatever tiny bit of respect (and believe me it wasn't much to begin with) I had for Scott in that episode.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
I don't get much of a vibe between ANY of the characters on U, probably why there is so little fanfic based on the show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I would not say that Rodney and sheppard on SGA was a "bromance". What it was was a well written friendship between two people who on first impression would have nothing in common. It worked very well and their underlying friendship (and the subsequent behavior at times like siblings) helped drive the show.

By contrast, the SGU people show no bonds between each other. And the pairing they have created (Scott/Chloe) does not work at all - they have the chemistry together of oil and water. Ironically they actually had a pairing that could have worked because the two actors play well off of each other - Chloe and Eli. Those two actually show a rapport and would have made sense as a relationship.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I would not say that Rodney and sheppard on SGA was a "bromance". What it was was a well written friendship between two people who on first impression would have nothing in common. It worked very well and their underlying friendship (and the subsequent behavior at times like siblings) helped drive the show.

By contrast, the SGU people show no bonds between each other. And the pairing they have created (Scott/Chloe) does not work at all - they have the chemistry together of oil and water. Ironically they actually had a pairing that could have worked because the two actors play well off of each other - Chloe and Eli. Those two actually show a rapport and would have made sense as a relationship.

You couldnt see the bromance because you forgot to put on your slash goggles :D

The friendship between John & Rodney was present in the little glances hand pats or head slaps rather than the dialogue they were given! by the end of season 1, i had looked up fanfic that concentrated on these two's friendship, and that led me to my first ever slash fic. Ive never looked back.
some of the writters who delve into our fandom are just awesome and i would love to see some of the bigger stories made into an ep/series. Cause lets face it, people who write fanfic about tv shows that dont get paid or published. do it out of love for the show and for the fandom and that comes across in the story.

I love the mcshep fandom its freakin amazzing - sga bigbang was just last sunday and there was over 20 40k plus stories! this year.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Still don't see it. Friendship does not mean bromance. Two people can bond and become like family to each other without introducing "slash". And that is what I see in Sheppard and McKay. In a way it was the Kirk-Spock of SGA - a friendship that would up defining both men.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
You couldnt see the bromance because you forgot to put on your slash goggles :D

The friendship between John & Rodney was present in the little glances hand pats or head slaps rather than the dialogue they were given! by the end of season 1, i had looked up fanfic that concentrated on these two's friendship, and that led me to my first ever slash fic. Ive never looked back.
some of the writters who delve into our fandom are just awesome and i would love to see some of the bigger stories made into an ep/series. Cause lets face it, people who write fanfic about tv shows that dont get paid or published. do it out of love for the show and for the fandom and that comes across in the story.

I love the mcshep fandom its freakin amazzing - sga bigbang was just last sunday and there was over 20 40k plus stories! this year.

I'm not sure I want an answer to this question, but I must ask
By that definition, do the "slash fans" ship people like Gibbs and Tony on NCIS or Sam and Dean on Supernatural?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Naw, they just shipped T'ealc and O'Neal on SG:1....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I with you, bro.

Still don't see it. Friendship does not mean bromance. Two people can bond and become like family to each other without introducing "slash". And that is what I see in Sheppard and McKay. In a way it was the Kirk-Spock of SGA - a friendship that would up defining both men.

I really dont understand any of the homosexual "slash" stuff between any of the SG-1 or Atlantis characters. But a bromance IS a friendship, a straight friendship not a gay one. Its the sort of bond you have with your best male buddy, especially if you have known him most of your life. Not all friendships between men are bromances, but all bromances are friendships between STRAIGHT men.

This "slash" thing is completely different, putting the men in a sexual relationship like a couple. I just dont see any of that at all with any of the male Stargate characters in any of the series. But in Universe, they might just do anything! :icon_e_surprised:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Thanks Overmind. I've seen that term used in a sexual manner before and thought that was the case here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When I first heard it I thought that too!

Thanks Overmind. I've seen that term used in a sexual manner before and thought that was the case here.

When I first heard the term "bromance", I didnt like the way it sounded, and didnt know what it meant. Look here for the Wiki definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromance

The best way to describe it is a very close non-sexual relationship with another male friend. Kirk-Spock, Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble, Jack and Teal'c etc. So close as to pretty much be brothers not related by blood. Im sure you get the picture. :)

stclare

I'm not sure I want an answer to this question, but I must ask
By that definition, do the "slash fans" ship people like Gibbs and Tony on NCIS or Sam and Dean on Supernatural?

yep. if there's good looking men or women there game! word of warning Harry Potter fic is a scary place....

To be serious though, I know that not everyone sees it and thats fine. I Just enJoy a lot of the fanfiction written for mcshep than i do any other pairing within sga. I have read thousands of fics with all types of pairings or gen fic but my faves all come back to mcshep.

That is why sga used to be so good, the chemistry between all the charcters was so great that you could see what you wanted to see (with some tweaking of course). with sgu the chemistry isnt there to build up to a friendship or sexual relashionships imho. scott/chloe being a case in point i dont believe in that relashionship, they havent convinced me its real at all.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

yep. if there's good looking men or women there game! word of warning Harry Potter fic is a scary place....

To be serious though, I know that not everyone sees it and thats fine. I Just enJoy a lot of the fanfiction written for mcshep than i do any other pairing within sga. I have read thousands of fics with all types of pairings or gen fic but my faves all come back to mcshep.

That is why sga used to be so good, the chemistry between all the charcters was so great that you could see what you wanted to see (with some tweaking of course). with sgu the chemistry isnt there to build up to a friendship or sexual relashionships imho. scott/chloe being a case in point i dont believe in that relashionship, they havent convinced me its real at all.

It's all too clinical as if it's some kind of qualification course whereby "you turn up, you pass". It's almost as if the writers just use the actors & characters to get the story across as a device rather than a medium. Rather like a monitor/speaker instead of an avi/mpeg, a monitor instead of a jpeg & a speaker instead of an MP3 etc if you get where I am coming from. That made sense in my head as I was typing it.

stclare

Yes i know bromance doesnt mean sexual which is why i said slash goggles!

I only saw friendship till i read slash fic, then i was introduced to slash goggles where head slaps bring on a hole new meaning!

i didnt mean to cause any offense, though sorry.

stclare

It's all too clinical as if it's some kind of qualification course whereby "you turn up, you pass". It's almost as if the writers just use the actors & characters to get the story across as a device rather than a medium. Rather like a monitor/speaker instead of an avi/mpeg, a monitor instead of a jpeg & a speaker instead of an MP3 etc if you get where I am coming from. That made sense in my head as I was typing it.

yes. i dont know how imo they could have created such engaging characters in sg1 and sga yet i cant see any of that in sgu. i know its darker , grittier etc i just dont see the chemistry. i belive however that the cast itself are probably friends and have a great laugh but that transfered to the screen - im not seeing it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Feeling less green now, perhaps a deeper crimson will be better

Well, that does not suprise me at all. The minute JK.R said Dumbledore is her "gay character" I would expect alot of slash fic (not that Dumbledores "orientation" was questionable beforehand :D )

I can see what you mean, I just don't roll that way.

Yes I agree, but on the bold bit, I am agree +1, and on the bold/underline/italics bit, I agree + shitloads. My biggest gripe with SGU is not that SGA got canned for it, not that the stories are weak, and not even the damage it's mere existance has caused to the fanbase, but that I just could not give a flying fuck through a rolling dougnut about any of these characters, and if I don't care about your main characters, It's hard for me to care about the show.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

yes. i dont know how imo they could have created such engaging characters in sg1 and sga yet i cant see any of that in sgu. i know its darker , grittier etc i just dont see the chemistry. i belive however that the cast itself are probably friends and have a great laugh but that transfered to the screen - im not seeing it.

It's altogether possible if not probable, I've seen some of those rap videos with Elyse Levesque, she seems like quite a cool, lively person so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

sp23

GateFans Noob
Exactly! There is no chemistry between all of the characters, not even Scott and Chloe and they are a love pairing.

Scott/Chloe is, imo, a textbook case of tell, don't show. We were more or less told that these two are in love. We had a couple of conversations and one long glance when everone thought they were going to die, and then they were having sex. Since then I've never really seen much that convinces me that they're more than two people scared and desperate for a connection who have chosen each other. Yeah, Scott dumped James for Chloe, but with Chloe he could have an out-in-the-open relationsihp which he couldn't have with James. I'm not at all convinced that if they could get back to Earth that these two would last long together.

Eh, personally I don't care enough about either one of them to be bothered by the relationship. On the other hand, they've not shown me anything on the show that makes me want to root for the those two crazy kids.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yes, but NCIS isn't very popular among slash writers. Supernatural on the other hand is VERY popular. Sam/Dean slash stories are just everywhere.

Considering Sam and Dean are brothers, Thats just damn disturbing.
It is sorta funny however seeing as though the topic has come up in the show.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Scott/Chloe is, imo, a textbook case of tell, don't show. We were more or less told that these two are in love. We had a couple of conversations and one long glance when everone thought they were going to die, and then they were having sex.

Bang on mate! Their "romance" simply isn't convincing in that their "relationship" seems even less than a friendship - they don't seem to show any affection, let alone emotion....... they are like to cock & minge-hungry automitons.

You are right about the tell, don't show bit. The characters may say they are in love but without good writing, directing & acting, if it isn't believable then it quite simply isn't true.