The Story of Ricky - Redefining over the top

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Do you like martial arts movies that go completely crazy? Do you like your action gory in the vein of "itchy and scratchy"? Do you like overacting and put no importance at all on story?

If so, then The Story of Ricky may be for you!

For those unaware of the history of this film, The Story of Ricky (a.k.a Riki-Oh) is a 1991 Hong Kong martial arts production. It is notorious as being the most over the top Hong Kong fight film ever produced and indeed one of the most extreme action movies ever.

I found this on Amazon in the Prime section, and out of curiosity gave it a watch. I found it:

a) EXTREMELY campy.

b) Gory as advertised, and the gore was so ridiculously over the top it became almost funny - kind of like "Shogun Assassin".

c) The dub into English is so bad it is funny.

d) Pacing is to put it lightly fast.

Overall this is not a film to be taken seriously. but if you're in the right mood it is fun - think of the old Adam West Batman with the fight effects done by George Romero and Tom Savini.

Weirdly that first YouTube is missing the last 6 minutes. Here is a subbed version that has all of it:

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Reminds me of Kung Pow but really gross mean and gory but I know this sounds weird , in a fun way !

;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
See what I mean? One running joke was how various characters say things about Ricky like “what does he think he is? A superhero?”....Well, HE IS A SUPERHERO. He’s basically Martial Arts Superman.