The Starlost

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
He didnt (Devon was the first). He accidentally activated it by touching the interface chair, which was in the first Sphere Projector room he came to (it makes sense it would be located there and at every jump tube intersection). But if you are asking me this, then it means you havent watched it. It shows you exactly how they discovered the computer. :)

??? They were only primitive in lifestyle. Their leader used the Creator (a computer) as the center of the religion in Cyprus Corners. Again, this tells me that you have not watched any of this show. :). I think you should do that before passing judgement, because they are basic to the show. The computer, unlike in Star Trek, is primarily a visual interface, and the computer is a main character in this show.

Um, no. :) The science in this show is actual science (mostly), from scientific sources, not made up crap. They did go there a couple of episodes, but not too deeply. Scientific terminology sounds "science-y" because it IS science. They did indeed explain how these characters know what they know, and they dont really know all that much!

This premise is closer to BSG than to any other show, because it represents the last of a race travelling through space trying to find a home. But it is still only very distantly similar in a most superficial way. I agree, this show would be AWESOME today. But they couldnt make Starlost into a movie. It just would not work, nor should they try and make it work as a movie. It is an episodic TV show. And they CAN use complete unknowns in it. No need for any name recognition.

I did watch the first 4 eps--Ep 1 started with the Dullea character being prepared for removal by the elder dude. Perhaps the beginning was cut out? I was viewing on YT. Sometimes loaders miss crap

The first time I saw any of them dealing with Mr Irritating computer was when they found the bridge

This show was poorly made and executed..it is "ok" to watch but so was the original LAND OF THE LOST but I would hardly call LofTL "quality" TV

As for unknown actors, Dullea was pretty big at the time, he had recently been in a starring role in 2001 a space odyssey==this must have been a disappointment for his fans

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I did watch the first 4 eps--Ep 1 started with the Dullea character being prepared for removal by the elder dude. Perhaps the beginning was cut out? I was viewing on YT. Sometimes loaders miss crap

That was the beginning...but that whole thing ended with Devon coming back for Rachel and then Garth followed. The computer and everything came 15 minutes into the episode. It was impossible to miss how Devon discovered the computer or what he was told by the computer at that time. You need to watch ENTIRE episodes, even just the first one, and it will become very clear.

The first time I saw any of them dealing with Mr Irritating computer was when they found the bridge

Episode 2.

This show was poorly made and executed..it is "ok" to watch but so was the original LAND OF THE LOST but I would hardly call LofTL "quality" TV

True. And Land of the Lost was already an old trope when it came out. The "lost world of dinosaurs found by explorers" has been done to death, and we saw it first in Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959). The thing Starlost has going for it most is it's premise. :)

As for unknown actors, Dullea was pretty big at the time, he had recently been in a starring role in 2001 a space odyssey==this must have been a disappointment for his fans

Actually, no. This show DID have a loyal following of fans, either because of Dullea, or because it was just good storytelling (my reason). The execution was absolutely horrible. I cringe every time I see the credits at the end. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh, the irony. :icon_lol:

But I DO watch entire episodes (I know you are talking about SoA!). You must be shaking your head..."He liked Starlost, but doesnt like Sons of Anarchy? IDIOT!" :anim_59: :P

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
But I DO watch entire episodes (I know you are talking about SoA!). You must be shaking your head..."He liked Starlost, but doesnt like Sons of Anarchy? IDIOT!" :anim_59: :P

No, no, no! LOL! Two completely different shows. Starlost has a completely different appeal. :icon_lol:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, no, no! LOL! Two completely different shows. Starlost has a completely different appeal. :icon_lol:

Okay, but I dont just sample the episodes and turn it of then pass judgement. :) When I do that, I try and avoid starting threads on said show. But I might comment on them. I stopped watching TWD over a year ago, and I still comment on the thread we have for it. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Okay, but I dont just sample the episodes and turn it of then pass judgement. :) When I do that, I try and avoid starting threads on said show. But I might comment on them. I stopped watching TWD over a year ago, and I still comment on the thread we have for it. :)

TWD is an exception. We discuss it in such vivid detail that you're practically watching it after the fact.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So I went back on YT (VIA my GENIE) and re-looked at ep1

The first time, I selected an offering that was obviously incomplete--it went from Devon being ostracized and kicked out, to his floating down the corridor, a "commercial" break (the break away for one) and then seeing Devon going back into his home dome

The other selection for ep 1 that I viewed today seems the complete one--it starts with a scene (foreshadowed) of Devon and the other two in the bridge looking out at space, then amishville, THEN his talk with Abraham-who gave him the 'key' for the doors. It also included the oh so important scene of Devon in the information station learning about the Ark from the 'deranged' computer, THEN going back to amishtown..

So, as to my prior critique, it now makes sense how they-or at least Devon-knew how to use the computer on the Bridge

It is still a poorly made show though, very dull at the best.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So I went back on YT (VIA my GENIE) and re-looked at ep1

The first time, I selected an offering that was obviously incomplete--it went from Devon being ostracized and kicked out, to his floating down the corridor, a "commercial" break (the break away for one) and then seeing Devon going back into his home dome

The other selection for ep 1 that I viewed today seems the complete one--it starts with a scene (foreshadowed) of Devon and the other two in the bridge looking out at space, then amishville, THEN his talk with Abraham-who gave him the 'key' for the doors. It also included the oh so important scene of Devon in the information station learning about the Ark from the 'deranged' computer, THEN going back to amishtown..

So, as to my prior critique, it now makes sense how they-or at least Devon-knew how to use the computer on the Bridge

It is still a poorly made show though, very dull at the best.

Dull looking, yes. Poorly executed, hell yes. Good storytelling...YES. :)