The Real Reason the BSG Franchise is Dead Forever To Us

CylonRomo

GateFans Cadet
I was reading another thread about Caprica... and it struck me BSG 2004 did not just re-imagine the series, it really did create something entirely new. It borrowed concepts, names and protocols from the original series, but you have to admit it was one of a kind.

Having said that, there are not very many shows that are so incredibly RICH in mythology. By that, I mean WHERE the story comes from and WHAT is going on in the deeper levels of the story proper. Caprica - itself- was a show I don't think had a chance were it not an expansion of the BSG universe. It failed anyway, but there were other reasons behind that: the fact people were by then torrenting and traditional ratings could not provide accurate data to warrant continuation.

The famous quote going around by Eick was about how methodical season 2 of Caprica was in theory... and had they put that much effort into BSG it would have been an even better show. I believe mystery in a show like Galactica is essential. Some things cannot and should not be explained, attempted to be explained or fleshed out at all. Mystery - itself - is or can be a huge part of storytelling.

The natural progression from BSG to Caprica was organic and held within it the seeds of a much larger tree if the Galactica universe. Not comprehending this, B&C simply gave Adama youth and took all the general/common elements of BOTH shows (original and new) in an attempt to make a bang-up shoot-em style action video game - while the mythology of the show was largely ignored (if adressed at all).

IMO, any new Galactica franchise MUST be true to and build on the already-laid foundation established by Galactica 2004. There can't be a sequel due to the way it ended. But the more time goes by Caprica was a completely perfect vehicle for the extension of the Galactica universe.

We were getting to see the colonies which we'd only heard about previously, we were getting to see the LIFESTYLE of Caprica and the human degradation of that place, the "dirt-eating" Taurons and the struggles of the Adama family as having one foot in 2 worlds/cultures. The religions centre of Gemennon, and that was only the "hurry-up-and-end" of season 1.2.

The more time passes, the more I long for what Caprica could have been. We had a show that was going to show us the origins of things we'd only heard about in BOTH original and new series. The fact there was a Head.Zoe blew me away, they were really sticking to their mythological guns.

The bindings of dead #7 cylon named Daniel, whom - the centurions with a part of Zoe in them - would want a skinjob represented by him. BSG TNS really puts a "human face" (and no pun intended) on what the cylons were about why they did what they did. That Cavil is made in the image of Ellen's father. That skinjob evolution happened WAY before the 7 who breached the colonies before the second war.

Razor's epic theme of the lone FIRST hybrid and his band of centurions.............. who left their people because they did not agree with the Final Five compromise and "strove to find the OWN WAY TO EVOLVE." It's frakking brilliant. Cain is spared because the centurion receives a signal that an agreement has been reached............. just like the survivors in the Caprica rescue (who are hopelessly pinned down) aree freed because the cylons have made a NEW decision.

The sentience of the cylons, to the point of angry toward their makers is profound. It may have been a science fiction theorem for decades but BSG was the first one to flesh it out with integrity. On Earth1, they found centurions among the destroyed bones. It could have even been a rebel faction who facilitated THAT uprising - killing their mechanical brothers out of dogma.

I am very ssad this thread won't be picked up again. B&C is not going to offer any grand notions of walking in the footsteps of greatness. While in the beginning, BSG was a draw to me as a mysterious enemy chasing a RTF that could barely resist and flee. But around the Eye of Jupiter/Rapture arc, the show changed and elevated to something so incredibly refined and beautiful.

I read an article (forget now) about the 15 best shows of the millennium and BSG was one of them. In the end, I think viewers were enthralled with the lingering questions that had been laid out early in the show.... and were ready to have them answered.

You have something like a dying 8 demanding to see her "father" (Tigh) before she dies, who has no idea what to say to her. And Athena who refuses to embrace her dying sister because she inwardly is no longer a part of them (even though they are genetic equivalents).

Gina Inviere, whom Baltar forsakes Head6 SIMPLY because there is actual flesh involved.

The Everyman of Gauis Baltar who has sinned so often and thinks only of himself, arguably redeemed in the end by returning to his roots. The Daybreak backstory of him and 6 may have been a bit much, but the CONCEPT payed off brilliantly.

In the beginning we see 6 as a marauding machine snapping the necks of inants.... and in the end we realize she was more capable of love and DID love Baltar to unprecedented levels.

How each and every "machine" finally chose for itself (even the centurions) and were honored for their choices instead of their past crimes and indiscretions. There is not enough I can say about the show.

Let's just keep talking about it :joy:

B

Backstep

I liked the mini-series and part of season 1 of NuBSG, then it left the realm of scifi and into pseudo-scifi with all the I.D. crap, hopefully SG○U was the steak through the heart, the last nail in the coffin for this genre.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I was reading another thread about Caprica... and it struck me BSG 2004 did not just re-imagine the series, it really did create something entirely new. It borrowed concepts, names and protocols from the original series, but you have to admit it was one of a kind.

Having said that, there are not very many shows that are so incredibly RICH in mythology. By that, I mean WHERE the story comes from and WHAT is going on in the deeper levels of the story proper. Caprica - itself- was a show I don't think had a chance were it not an expansion of the BSG universe. It failed anyway, but there were other reasons behind that: the fact people were by then torrenting and traditional ratings could not provide accurate data to warrant continuation.
[...]

Sorry, dude, but that's a cop-out used by showrunners to help justify poor ratings performance, just like we heard from Mallozzi et al as the reason why Stargate Universe did poorly. The reality is that live & time-shifted TV are doing quite well. Caprica failed due to its extremely slow pace and the fact they spent too much time in Zoe's head. I thought it had potential but, IMO, it lacked the necessary ingredients to keep me on the edge of my seat week to week.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy good drama when done well. Four of my favorite shows on TV right now are Burn Notice and Suits on USA, Sons of Anarchy on FX and Dexter on Showtime. These shows are able to keep me involved week to week.

I wasn't a fan of BSG mainly because it tried to "re-imagine" BSG rather than just saying, "Here's a brand new show with borrowed elements from an old show", which is exactly what it was. Other than names and a few concepts, it had nothing to do with the original BSG.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Some of the old concepts Nu Bsg lifted from the original for one was the whole pantheon of the gods/Kobol belief system. A major part of the colonial ideology.

I liked how nuBSG -other then what I have stated before- didn't revert to explaining things away by introduciing aliens -that if there is a higher 'other' power then it has wholly incorporated itself(s) into humanity--both through humans and cylons. Of course I am speaking of the "head" creatures.

To show that Zoe also had a "copy" amongst these beings was an exciting bit, one that could have led to more in the ways of possibly showing that the "all this has happened before and will again" bit is possibly just a higher being(s) interfering with the destiny of mankind

I have said before that although I liked daybreak I think it would have been more "mythologically and evolutionary" appropriate to have placed their arrival here more like 10,000 yrs ago. That is after all, that 'special era' that archaeologists and other scientists say something happened in mankind's progression --like the blue and green eyes thing- research suggests that all people with blue (and green) eyes are descended from one woman who lived around 10,000 yrs ago. Plus the- relativily speaking in the expanse of humankind, "all of the sudden" burst of mankind into collectives of larger sizes and the formation of basic town and city states at around the same era.

All of this could have been given a "sci fi" explanation of how these things may have happened=blue eyes from the colonials, the idea of humanity coalescing around a civilized hub into a town/city introduced by the colonials. The birth of out myths--like the greek and hindu ones of 'flying gods' like the mythological Apollo and his chariot inspired by the BSG Apollo and his "I want to fly around and explore this planet".

But no, RDM was temp. enamored by the whole Mitochondrial eve thing that he intro'd that wrench into a story that many were already having issues with.

When a show inspires me to think of possibilities in this way, then I know it is/was something different then the usual fare. the recent shows that have done this are BSG/CAPRICA AND SG1 SGA (like, we saw where the 'snake' Go'auld came from-that pond, and their union with the Unas, but since neither creature had the tech to get off of their planet then was it ancients from earth via the SG that got infected and brought the 'snakes' to Earth? Mainly Egypt?-I still think there is a lot of story there that could be told in the SG-verse as well)

I understand the frustrations and the dislike of some with BSG; I see how we all were 'sold' a new sci-fi show and got morphed into a space opera of sorts. I understand how some got upset after season 2 or 3 by this. To me and quite a few others, that is what made me enjoy it more. The fact that B&C didn't have any of these other bsg 'touchstones' is why i didn't like it.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I still don't get the "Starbuck is an angel" thing. :daniel_new004:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

i just think she is a "head creature" that is revealed to all although she does not know it and has only the memories of the actual starbuck to operate with

she screwed up their plan--she was obviously considered an imp part of it--by getting killed. so "they" brought her back (her "head creature" copy) to complete the mission.

"they" (higher power/God/gods whoever) want the humans to make it to safety to start the whole cycle over again but this time with the twist of having the cylons along --a way for "them" to get their jollies

think of "them" as those who have engineered every iteration of the human cycle; Kobol-were they the "lords of kobol" revealed to all (Sharon; "Athena, whoever she was, whatever she was...") to add "their" flavor to that part of the great game

"they" are like little kids with an ant farm; sometimes the kid feeds the ant and lets them multiply, sometimes he puts a big azzed magnifying glass over them to see how many he can cook. "they" are bored and powerful beings of some type

one of the reasons RDM couldn't redo the whole TOS "beings of light" thing was because Ed Olmos said he would walk the minute he read of aliens in the script seen or spoken of

CylonRomo

GateFans Cadet

"Angel" is the word you choose to ascribe to it. I think conventional western mythos ruined many of the reimagined concepts of the show. Such as "the gods". When they went down to Kobol to look for the tomb, Future-Athena (she was still Sharon at that time) said "........... your god, whoever OR WHATEVER she was............." and that's not only consistent with the original series but brings more life to the concept.

Kara died and returned. But "angels" are technically not resurrected human beings. They are more like creations of god that existed before time/man. Head6 was an "angel" (and I will use that word for utility) and we are introduced to her character as such AS A BEING WHO WORKS FOR GOD OR GOD'S PURPOSES by her own volition. "Resurrected" Kara is the same form of being as Head6 except at the VERY MOST beginning stages.

Head6 has most-likely been around for a long, long time. She talked about "when your life is played in harmony with god's plan" (and I will use the word god as utility too). Most likely, Head6 is a very experienced angel that knows her purpose very well. Contrast that with Kara who is just an infant in this setting. She doesn't know what she is, what she is there for, or what she is supposed to do. Throughout season 4 she is struggling to 1) accept 2) understand what's going on with herself.

By the mid-way, she discovers her body which pushes her along into acceptance she is not the thing she used to be. But still, she doesn't know what she is.

*the show never told us what she is, EXACTLY. Nor did it ever really say what is Head6 HeadElosha or HeadLeoben. Personally, I love that. I think it actually tried to explain too much.

However, I think Kara's purpose as "angel" had a few different roles:

1) it gave Baltar an excuse to propagate the new mono religion by being like "there is one here who has CROSSED OVER" in the same way biblical Paul used Christ as an instrument of his (Paul's) religion. To give it weight and "evidence".

2) it plugged Kara into the mass consciousness to essentially receive the coordinates to their new home (Earth2). Hera, I guess, needed a conduit............... and it was through Kara's final sort of "trial" (the interaction with her fatther) that allowed Earth2 to be revealed.

I've said many times, the humans AND the cylons had to prove themselves "worthy" of getting a fresh start and it had to be TOGETHER. Earth1 was the cylons' test. To see and accept their own failures (which had nothing to do with humanity) was important. So, the Angel Kara receives the cryptic location of Earth2 via a convoluted manner.

Finally, having accepted her human death and her new role as "god's servant" or whatever, she shows the first glimpse of being in control of her new abilities and identity: she vanishes (to where, we do not know) once she realizes her work there is finished. Vanishes in the same way Head6 appears and vanishes at will from the beginning.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
"Angel" is the word you choose to ascribe to it. I think conventional western mythos ruined many of the reimagined concepts of the show. Such as "the gods". When they went down to Kobol to look for the tomb, Future-Athena (she was still Sharon at that time) said "........... your god, whoever OR WHATEVER she was............." and that's not only consistent with the original series but brings more life to the concept.

Kara died and returned. But "angels" are technically not resurrected human beings. They are more like creations of god that existed before time/man. Head6 was an "angel" (and I will use that word for utility) and we are introduced to her character as such AS A BEING WHO WORKS FOR GOD OR GOD'S PURPOSES by her own volition. "Resurrected" Kara is the same form of being as Head6 except at the VERY MOST beginning stages.

Head6 has most-likely been around for a long, long time. She talked about "when your life is played in harmony with god's plan" (and I will use the word god as utility too). Most likely, Head6 is a very experienced angel that knows her purpose very well. Contrast that with Kara who is just an infant in this setting. She doesn't know what she is, what she is there for, or what she is supposed to do. Throughout season 4 she is struggling to 1) accept 2) understand what's going on with herself.

By the mid-way, she discovers her body which pushes her along into acceptance she is not the thing she used to be. But still, she doesn't know what she is.

*the show never told us what she is, EXACTLY. Nor did it ever really say what is Head6 HeadElosha or HeadLeoben. Personally, I love that. I think it actually tried to explain too much.

1) it gave Baltar an excuse to propagate the new mono religion by being like "there is one here who has CROSSED OVER" in the same way biblical Paul used Christ as an instrument of his (Paul's) religion. To give it weight and "evidence".

2) it plugged Kara into the mass consciousness to essentially receive the coordinates to their new home (Earth2). Hera, I guess, needed a conduit............... and it was through Kara's final sort of "trial" (the interaction with her fatther) that allowed Earth2 to be revealed.

I've said many times, the humans AND the cylons had to prove themselves "worthy" of getting a fresh start and it had to be TOGETHER. Earth1 was the cylons' test. To see and accept their own failures (which had nothing to do with humanity) was important. So, the Angel Kara receives the cryptic location of Earth2 via a convoluted manner.

Finally, having accepted her human death and her new role as "god's servant" or whatever, she shows the first glimpse of being in control of her new abilities and identity: she vanishes (to where, we do not know) once she realizes her work there is finished. Vanishes in the same way Head6 appears and vanishes at will from the beginning.

from what i stated above then of course i don't totally agree (but so what we are talking about a work of fiction:pride:), i guess i am focused more on RDM's take on the "beings of light" and their role as the omnipotent controllers of the cycle of life/fate. the head creatures (we both agree starbuck 2.0 is a angel/head creature) are their instruments

baltar again showed that he was possibly the most opportunistic man left alive when he used starbucks 'resurrection' to seal his new position.

CylonRomo

GateFans Cadet
Sorry, dude, but that's a cop-out used by showrunners to help justify poor ratings performance, just like we heard from Mallozzi et al as the reason why Stargate Universe did poorly. The reality is that live & time-shifted TV are doing quite well. Caprica failed due to its extremely slow pace and the fact they spent too much time in Zoe's head. I thought it had potential but, IMO, it lacked the necessary ingredients to keep me on the edge of my seat week to week.

I agree it was slow and convoluted in the beginning. It had A LOT of info/mythos to establish before it could get moving.

I wasn't a fan of BSG mainly because it tried to "re-imagine" BSG rather than just saying, "Here's a brand new show with borrowed elements from an old show", which is exactly what it was. Other than names and a few concepts, it had nothing to do with the original BSG.

Thank the gods! The original BSG was REALLY bad. TNS managed to emerge from "reimagining" to an almost completely new thing altogether. You could call that cheating, by playing on the name in the beginning, but it never was TOS or pretended to be.
--- merged: Dec 23, 2012 at 1:15 PM ---
from what i stated above then of course i don't totally agree (but so what we are talking about a work of fiction:pride:), i guess i am focused more on RDM's take on the "beings of light" and their role as the omnipotent controllers of the cycle of life/fate. the head creatures (we both agree starbuck 2.0 is a angel/head creature) are their instruments

baltar again showed that he was possibly the most opportunistic man left alive when he used starbucks 'resurrection' to seal his new position.

Look, there were quasi-spiritual entities in TOS. It was never defined what they were. To use this theme in a new and further unexplained way is no sin.

No one ever said the god of Battlestar Galactica controlled everything. Even in the last moments of the finale, "so will it happen again" and she goes "I SAY NOT" and explains how chance is always a factor. This is a major misnomer for people that don't "get" the metaphysical nature of TNS and how it ended.

One example proves it: episode Hand of God. You can either say God literally guided Baltar's hand to the correct point on the map or that it was some supernatural event that can't (and shouldn't) try to be explained. It was even beyond the explanation or understanding of Head6.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

:daniel_new004: ...so, Starbuck was an angel?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
:daniel_new004: ...so, Starbuck was an angel?

if that works for you, then sure. or a head creature or a "mysterious other" or anything else that didn't break EJO's 'rule' of "no aliens or I walk"

that should rule out all ambiguity-right?

:jaded:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
if that works for you, then sure. or a head creature or a "mysterious other" or anything else that didn't break EJO's 'rule' of "no aliens or I walk"

that should rule out all ambiguity-right?

:jaded:

He actually said that?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
ah! All i can find on-line is a blog where someone is qtg him (i am pretty sure it is on the dvd set's podcasts-i think for the mini-series?):

[6]6 Jan 2006
  • level: 55
Ronald Moore wanted to model this show after dramas like NYPD Blue and ER. He purposely avoided the traditional "Star Trek"-type actors in makeup and head moldings. He wants to focus on telling a dramatic story with complex characters. He has also steered clear of "technobabble" in this series.

Edward James Olmos also said that he doesn't want to see "bumpy-headed aliens" on the show. In a few early interviews, he said he told the producers that if they began introducing a bumpy-headed alien-of-the-week, he would be outta there. Maybe he's exaggerating a little, but neither he nor Moore want to add goofy-looking aliens, so I doubt it will happen. On the off-chance that they do add aliens, it won't be a stereotypical sci-fi series alien. Not likely in any case.

But I did find something i haven't heard anyone talk about before. seems that in the course of the show, we are told by Dr Cottle ( i mean who really listened to Cottle anyhow?) that all colonial humans have type a,b, or ab blood. when Hera is blood typed she has a type never before seen-she is apparently type o-implying that all the skin jobs and their synth blood is type o as well (?)
some other info in this link also (just on bsg/cap stuff and what the writer thinks):
http://ideas.4brad.com/battlestar
My search engine tells me it is at this site but it is a pod as well, i didn't feel like listening right now but if you like:
http://scifidinerpodcast.com/2010/09/ep75/

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I'm trying to remember - how far along in the series were they before the "head" characters started talking to one another?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That was right at the very end.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
"Head" characters? I knew I bailed out in time when I stopped watching that bullshit. So, they went all Futurama on you, huh?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
"Head" characters? I knew I bailed out in time when I stopped watching that bullshit. So, they went all Futurama on you, huh?

Oh it was this whole "Final 5" thing not to be confused with the "Final 12" thing which shouldn't be confused with the "13th and final head Cylon" thing. I'm not a dumb person but seriously, that show petered out to be a lot of WTF. :confused0076:

At least we didn't get saddled with a "dagget" and an annoying kid in this one, so that's something to be grateful for.

bsg_boxy_muffy.jpg