The Oscars 2011

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Doing the PreOscar stuff for now. It's an annual ritual of sorts to watch the Oscars as a family here at Casa Insomnium.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
The only movie that was actually nominated that I saw and enjoyed was the King's Speech. Colin Firth was incredible in it as was Geoffrey Rush - great movie and excellently done.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Well, "The King's Speech" just got Best Original Screenplay, which is its first win for the night. The writer reminded me a wee bit of Spencer Tracy. :)

My daughter and I loved the movie.

That said, I loved Melissa Leo's response to getting the Supporting Actress Oscar for "The Fighter". She was just...well...gobsmacked.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
And the flame have already started over the omission of Corey Haim in the In Memoriam bit of the show.

They also "forgot" Betty Garrett, who died just the other day and Maury Chaykin (he was in 94 films and 60 TV programs. You may also remember when he played a Goa'uld on episodes of Stargate, as well as playing the Cavalry officer who kills himself after sending Costner on his way in Dances With Wolves).

Maury's SG episodes:

Off the Grid (2006) … Nerus
Beachhead (2005) … Nerus

There are times I hate the Academy.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
At this point, The King's Speech has one Best Original Screenplay, Best Director and Best Actor.

I wish we could have seen Colin Firth bursting into dance. Silly, self-conscious Brit. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Kudos to King's Speech! Hazzah! Hazzah!

the first time in MANY years I agreed with the Best Picture winner- hooray for the king's speech! :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Yeh baby . The Kings Speech was a wonderful movie . I was so hoping Jeremy Rush would have won best supporting but to me him and Colin were equals in the quality of character and acting skills . Wonderful movie and it deserves the accolades it has received . Bravo Bravo!!!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Yeh baby . The Kings Speech was a wonderful movie . I was so hoping Jeremy Rush would have won best supporting but to me him and Colin were equals in the quality of character and acting skills . Wonderful movie and it deserves the accolades it has received . Bravo Bravo!!!
Colin Firth won for Best Actor.

Best Supporting Actor was Christian Bale for "The Fighter".