THE LEFTOVERS==believe this show got another season?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
No surprise. This reminds me too much of drivel like "The Event". Something just happens that affects everyone and focus on the interpersonal stuff after that. Shades of the GEI (Global Epidemic of Incontinency) I posted here as a variant on Revolution.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I am watching this right this minute (Sunday Jul 6 2014 1:08pm). So far, it seems watchable and the dialogue is sufficiently gritty.

EDIT:

Ho hum. This is a LINDELOF creation? Not surprised there, since this thing is all over the place and has no direction. The young people in this thing are just aimlessly living their lives doing a whole lot of nothing. The adults are all nutty and damaged by this "event" which is a very thinly suggested Rapture event. The dogs are obviously the dogs of hell, or something like that. Now I see that "leftovers" represents those who were left behind after the others were taken up into heaven. Whatever.

I need to know what the freaks in white who smoke like crazy are.
I need to know more about the event "3 years ago".

Whatever. Im already turned off by the show. I will watch the next one to see if they fill in some of the blanks. But if it is just more nonsensical garbage, Ill pass on this.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I thought by now it is pretty simple - see the name Damon Lindelof and immediately turn it off.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought by now it is pretty simple - see the name Damon Lindelof and immediately turn it off.

How does he get work in Hollywood? I dont get it. I do not see anything of note that I like from him. Nothing at all. Usually, there is a gimmick that these "Wonder Boys" have. I cant stand Michael Bay or JJ Abrams either, but we see that Michael Bay does big explosions, smash-em-up action and animal house humor well. JJ Abrams does his lens flare thing. Lindelof? Not seeing anything special. Beyond Lindelof himself, the writing of this show is so disjointed. It is almost as if he has to actually TRY and be confusing to write this crap. Does he do it while sitting on the toilet with a bottle of whiskey?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This is an HBO production and they tend to back their shows for the most part so no doubt there will be a full season. I'm not really sure how they handle cancelling the turkeys in their line-up so who knows how it will play out.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just look at his movie credits- Prometheus and Star Trek Into Darkness. Notice a commonality? He specializes in writing incoherent nonsense.

The RedLetterMedia gang called him out by name over Star Trek Into Darkness too (along with Orci and Kurtzman).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is an HBO production and they tend to back their shows for the most part so no doubt there will be a full season. I'm not really sure how they handle cancelling the turkeys in their line-up so who knows how it will play out.

They can tease the premise and leave things unanswered for only so long before the interest will wane. After watching the first episode, I want to see the second one, but only to get more of what is supposed to be happening here. If I dont get any more of that, and only the lame cop story with the daughter and a bunch of mysterious mute people smoking cigarettes, Im out.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That is the formula. Start out right after the "disaster", and jump right to the interpersonal drama. Watching the clip the guy says clearly that his hopes are that the audience ignores the reason for the "catastrophe" and instead focuses on the characters. Why would anybody do that? The context is just as important as the characters. Maybe even moreso. I need to know that the reason people disappeared was not the Rapture and was something which makes more sense.

I think they are going in the direction of a "worldly reason" but that still may be one that does not make sense like with the Roanoke disappearances. the Bermuda Triangle and some of the other lesser known unex disappearances mentioned

I am guessing though that we will see nothing in any direction till the end of the season--string us out,etc (sigh)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OMFGIH. :facepalm: I just watched episode 2 of this. The WHOLE THING. And I even watched the first episode before this one.

How the hell do you make something like this? Im thinking they just took lots of random footage and then crafted the episode from long pieces of this footage. This thing is more loosely woven than a 10 year old plastic lawn chair. I spent this episode trying to get a deeper meaning, but there just isnt one. Something tells me they are going for a Lost sort of feel, but the thing is that you can only do a show like Lost ONCE. You cant do it again and spin it, because the novelty of Lost was that it was the first. This show starts off making me eyeroll with the opening scenes:

Screenshot from 2014-07-09 00:52:05.png

100% this is a Rapture story. Or, rather after that event. First, we have Dominion, and now this? What about all the non-Christian/non-religious people who do not believe any of the supernatural events in the Bible like the Rapture and angels and demons? This show does not even give you the option of interpreting the implications of the impact on these characters in the show. NO, I am not interested in the angsty kids or the anguished families who were abandoned by the mysterious cult. NO, dropping F-bombs all over the place is not making it "cool and hip", or "dark and gritty". The psychopath black guy Wayne is not creating mystery, and neither are the mute cult members or the wild dogs. I just cant accept the premise, and therefore I cant like the characters. Im outta this one.

rolling_eyes_neil_degrasse_tyson.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think they are going in the direction of a "worldly reason" but that still may be one that does not make sense like with the Roanoke disappearances. the Bermuda Triangle and some of the other lesser known unex disappearances mentioned

I am guessing though that we will see nothing in any direction till the end of the season--string us out,etc (sigh)

No mystery here folks, this is not the plot you were looking for. You can see clearly and unquestionably that you are supposed to be living the drama of people left behind after all of the worthy believers (forget about the definition of that for this show), in the Biblical rapture story of "those taken up" and we are just supposed to get into their struggles.

Star-Wars-These-Arent-the-Droids.gif

This is CLEARLY, 100% undeniably about the Biblical Rapture story. This one is even more overt than Dominion in that regard. The leftovers are those left behind after the Rapture (the unbelievers, the unworthy). The very title of the series reminds us of that every time it starts.

View attachment 30088

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That is, don't just assume it is some show based on any sense of christian "rapture". I think that the TPTB's want the viewer to assume that though

No need to assume. They show us.

In the HBO "making of.." special they had a physicist talking about string theory and multiple dimensions that, he said' could be theoretically possible for those who dissappeared to have "slipped" between dimensions

Not this time, not this show! :)

also, those that went missing do not all fit the biblical qualifications for rapture (a discussion which is a part of the plot) it was more a random event

only 1 ep out so can't really say much about it yet though, but it is HBO and they tend to make fairly decent shows (in the execution)

The Bible does not even use the term "rapture". It is a nickname for an event where there is basically a "Holy Lottery" where select few are taken up. In the story, there is a period of 7 years between the rapture and the return of Christ. So, by starting this show 3 years into the 7 year period, that leaves a convenient 4-year arc to complete the story (but the show wont go that long I think). HBO or not, this show completely and thoroughly sucks (in my opinion). :) It's better than Dominion, which is far worse. But it's definitely a turd.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
No need to assume. They show us.

Not this time, not this show! :)

The Bible does not even use the term "rapture". It is a nickname for an event where there is basically a "Holy Lottery" where select few are taken up. In the story, there is a period of 7 years between the rapture and the return of Christ. So, by starting this show 3 years into the 7 year period, that leaves a convenient 4-year arc to complete the story (but the show wont go that long I think). HBO or not, this show completely and thoroughly sucks (in my opinion). :) It's better than Dominion, which is far worse. But it's definitely a turd.

Well, I am pretty sure you are wrong

just like with LOST, when ppl thought they were watching some new drama based on the show SURVIVOR but then were slowly led into liking a scifi/fantasy show instead--if one thinks they are watching any type of christian themed show here, I believe they are wrong

Why else would they spend so much time talking about string theory and mysterious disappearances?

They have never came out and said that it was a show based on any "rapture" idea or on any religious idea, just that ppl disappeared. Why are you so quick to deem it a "religious" show? There is really no reason for doing so.

The last episode showed some hints at the possibilities of dimension slipping (or whatever)--the mysterious man (who no one else seems to be able to see save the chief's daughter) who shows up to shoot the dogs (which we have been hinted at that they are not from our world "those are not our dogs") and that the chief's institutionalized father has been 'told' by someone that the guy was coming to help--perhaps he is deemed crazy because he can still see/talk with ppl who have disappeared to others' view?

There are many shows on TV now that just totally suck and are not even worth the time to take a passing "it's entertaining" view on (defiance, dominion, duck dynasty,etc) but there are many shows that are just ok to watch--something to do at night or in the day when the weather's crappy

this is one of those (or at least it is so far) how can you be so sure in your pronouncement that this is a christian show? The opening sequence is just that-and if done for this reason; a great way to distract and divert by playing to expectations--I do not see why HBO or any other of the "better" networks would take the money into making another "angel" or rapture show--its been done so many times and it is a dead genre so far as I am concerned (of course there is SYFY and they are forever behind the times it seems)

I COULD BE WRONG, you could be wrong, OR with both may be wrong and the show may take a whole other direction--WE'LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE :rolleye0014:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, I am pretty sure you are wrong

just like with LOST, when ppl thought they were watching some new drama based on the show SURVIVOR but then were slowly led into liking a scifi/fantasy show instead--if one thinks they are watching any type of christian themed show here, I believe they are wrong

Why else would they spend so much time talking about string theory and mysterious disappearances?

They have never came out and said that it was a show based on any "rapture" idea or on any religious idea, just that ppl disappeared. Why are you so quick to deem it a "religious" show? There is really no reason for doing so.

Why? Because the beginning sequence SHOWS us the Rapture. This is a screencap of the opening scene:

Leftovers.png

The first episode specifically uses the word "Rapture", and in the TV newscast in the show, two people are speaking, and one of them says specifically that this event on Oct 14 was the rapture and that everyone "leftover" should repent. The bald guy who was shooting the dogs says that shooting the dogs is "the Lord's work". There is no possible way to avoid the fact that we are watching a show about the people left over after the Christian rapture. Not aliens, not magic. No string theory is going to explain away any of that, and they do not leave it vague and open to interpretation. Watch episodes 1 and 2 back to back like I did and then try and claim that this is not what it is. :). This is a painting (enlargabe) of the rapture having nothing to do with this show:

2009 - Rapture Watchman Articl - The Rapture.jpg

The New Yorker printed an article on this show, and they see this as clearly as I do...especially since the author of the book in 2011 lays it out pretty clearly:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2014/06/the-leftovers-tom-perrotta-subtle-rapture.html

What if the Rapture, the fire-and-brimstone Biblical one, actually happened, but, instead of being stranded to dwell in a hell on earth, those left behind simply continued on, living more or less as before—taking their kids to soccer practice, voting at town meetings, pushing carts through gleaming supermarket aisles, and living under a cloud of dread no more pervasive or crippling than the one that had previously shadowed their lives.

This is the gently unnerving post-apocalyptic world that Tom Perrotta creates in his novel “The Leftovers,” which was published in 2011 and serves as the basis for an HBO series débuting this Sunday. Perrotta’s Rapture occurs on a minor scale: about two per cent of the world’s population disappears in an instant on October 14th. Vladimir Putin, Jennifer Lopez, and the Pope are all taken. Talking heads on cable news try, and fail, to identify a coherent explanation for who was raptured and who was passed over; it was, it seems, a “random harvest.” The U.S. government establishes a bipartisan panel to investigate; people settle on the phrase “Sudden Departure” to refer to the event, and they prepare for further calamities that, for some reason, never arrive. “Nothing happened,” Perrotta writes. “As the weeks limped by, the sense of immediate crisis began to dissipate.”

This pretty much throws any speculation out the window. I do not think anybody would have any trouble seeing what this is about, especially when they know the Biblical stories surrounding this event that took place on October 14. AND, there is a message being conveyed by periodically saying who got taken, including famous people. The people they mention are significant. Perotta himself uses the word post-Rapture to describe the town of Mapleton:

Of the town’s Guilty Remnant, Perrotta writes: It was a lifestyle, not a religion, an ongoing improvisation rooted in the conviction that the post-Rapture world demanded a new way of living, free from the old, discredited forms—no more marriage, no more families, no more consumerism, no more politics, no more conventional religion, no more mindless entertainment. Those days were done.

This is the Biblical rapture, not string theory. The only elements not known about this Rapture is how the people disappeared or where they went (kinda hard to show heaven dontcha think?). This contrasts sharply with a show like the 4400 who were taken by aliens, gone for decades or days, and suddenly return. That was not about the Rapture, but the effects were similar. People disappeared, went somewhere and then returned.

The last episode showed some hints at the possibilities of dimension slipping (or whatever)--the mysterious man (who no one else seems to be able to see save the chief's daughter) who shows up to shoot the dogs (which we have been hinted at that they are not from our world "those are not our dogs") and that the chief's institutionalized father has been 'told' by someone that the guy was coming to help--perhaps he is deemed crazy because he can still see/talk with ppl who have disappeared to others' view?

:) No, that same guy was the one that said shooting the dogs was the Lord's work. In the Bible, 1 Thessalonians 4:17, this event involves a Tribulation which lasts 7 years. This show is three years into that. What dimension slipping? I did not see that. I saw this guy shooting dogs. I saw the neighborhood dogs attack and kill a deer in a pack. Dogs are frequently mentioned in the Bible, including pack dogs. How are you getting dimension slipping? Please tell me the very scenes you are talking about, because I have both episodes downloaded and I can go exactly to whatever scenes you describe and look closer. :)

There are many shows on TV now that just totally suck and are not even worth the time to take a passing "it's entertaining" view on (defiance, dominion, duck dynasty,etc) but there are many shows that are just ok to watch--something to do at night or in the day when the weather's crappy

Okay, I can see that. Sometimes, I even purposely watch a cheesy movie or TV show just for entertainment. SGU is one of those for me, as is watching old shows like Bewitched and Gilligan's Island or Star Trek TOS. Im just a different person, like all of us are different. I could easily sit and watch 5 or 6 episodes of the dumb cop drama Alien Nation, but I could not even stomach 15 minutes of Duck Dynasty. I think it has to do with messages for me. I think that putting insidious messages to the audience by using a vehicle inspired by religion is offensive. No science fiction shows do much of that. Mention religion, yes. 2/3 of the world population is religious to some degree. But to use events in the Bible to create a show like Dominion or The Leftovers or Humanity's End or similar, is silly to me.

this is one of those (or at least it is so far) how can you be so sure in your pronouncement that this is a christian show? The opening sequence is just that-and if done for this reason; a great way to distract and divert by playing to expectations--I do not see why HBO or any other of the "better" networks would take the money into making another "angel" or rapture show--its been done so many times and it is a dead genre so far as I am concerned (of course there is SYFY and they are forever behind the times it seems.

Please see the quotes and Perotta's own words. :) No event in any religion has a Rapture event except Christianity. Perotta has drawn upon this event, he specifically users the word Rapture, and he admits the source material, even though he has put his twist on it. The show is taking place after the Rapture:

For Mr. Perrotta, a cheerful, compact 50-year-old with no strong religious beliefs, the Rapture is less important from a theological perspective than from a novelistic one. He started thinking hard about the subject while researching evangelical culture for his 2007 novel, “The Abstinence Teacher,” about a divorced sex-ed instructor who becomes entangled with an evanglical group.

This show is not about Christianity or even religion. But it takes place in an "authorverse" which is based on a Biblical event (like Dominion). If you make a show about a guy who suddenly starts hearing commands to build a huge ship (maybe via mysterious emails or text messages), and to collect a pair of all animals on earth because a giant flood is coming, what story are we telling? If that ship is an old retrofitted supertanker, and we tell the story of the people this guy encounters whilst collecting his animals, does that change the foundation of the story? Sure, we can use a supertanker, do some drama about the people watching the main character working on the ship, perhaps have an antagonist who wants to stop him, etc. But we are still telling the story of Noah and his Ark, which makes it Biblical and therefore Christian. Perrotta says of the inspiration of this show:

“I kept bumping up against the Rapture scenario,” he said this month at home in this Boston suburb, where he lives with his wife, Mary, and their teenage daughter and son. “And I got in that ‘What if?’ mode. What if this happened, what would it be like three or four years in? I immediately thought, you know what, we probably would have forgotten about the Rapture. Because three or four years is an eternity in this culture.”

Not much room for misinterpretation here. No mention of string theory, or just saying this is some mysterious alien thing. It's the Rapture. He says so. I dont have a problem with people who believe in that, but I do not believe in a Rapture. If they did not mention the Rapture and omitted the opening scenes or at least changed them to something more generic, I could MAYBE warm up to it (probably not though).

I COULD BE WRONG, you could be wrong, OR with both may be wrong and the show may take a whole other direction--WE'LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE :rolleye0014:

I will read your comments on the show at GateFans, but I have watched my last episode of this. :) I'll try not to dump on anybody watching it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Why? Because the beginning sequence SHOWS us the Rapture. This is a screencap of the opening scene:

View attachment 30091

The first episode specifically uses the word "Rapture", and in the TV newscast in the show, two people are speaking, and one of them says specifically that this event on Oct 14 was the rapture and that everyone "leftover" should repent. The bald guy who was shooting the dogs says that shooting the dogs is "the Lord's work". There is no possible way to avoid the fact that we are watching a show about the people left over after the Christian rapture. Not aliens, not magic. No string theory is going to explain away any of that, and they do not leave it vague and open to interpretation. Watch episodes 1 and 2 back to back like I did and then try and claim that this is not what it is. :). This is a painting (enlargabe) of the rapture having nothing to do with this show:

View attachment 30092

The New Yorker printed an article on this show, and they see this as clearly as I do...especially since the author of the book in 2011 lays it out pretty clearly:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2014/06/the-leftovers-tom-perrotta-subtle-rapture.html

This pretty much throws any speculation out the window. I do not think anybody would have any trouble seeing what this is about, especially when they know the Biblical stories surrounding this event that took place on October 14. AND, there is a message being conveyed by periodically saying who got taken, including famous people. The people they mention are significant. Perotta himself uses the word post-Rapture to describe the town of Mapleton:

This is the Biblical rapture, not string theory. The only elements not known about this Rapture is how the people disappeared or where they went (kinda hard to show heaven dontcha think?). This contrasts sharply with a show like the 4400 who were taken by aliens, gone for decades or days, and suddenly return. That was not about the Rapture, but the effects were similar. People disappeared, went somewhere and then returned.

:) No, that same guy was the one that said shooting the dogs was the Lord's work. In the Bible, 1 Thessalonians 4:17, this event involves a Tribulation which lasts 7 years. This show is three years into that. What dimension slipping? I did not see that. I saw this guy shooting dogs. I saw the neighborhood dogs attack and kill a deer in a pack. Dogs are frequently mentioned in the Bible, including pack dogs. How are you getting dimension slipping? Please tell me the very scenes you are talking about, because I have both episodes downloaded and I can go exactly to whatever scenes you describe and look closer. :)

Okay, I can see that. Sometimes, I even purposely watch a cheesy movie or TV show just for entertainment. SGU is one of those for me, as is watching old shows like Bewitched and Gilligan's Island or Star Trek TOS. Im just a different person, like all of us are different. I could easily sit and watch 5 or 6 episodes of the dumb cop drama Alien Nation, but I could not even stomach 15 minutes of Duck Dynasty. I think it has to do with messages for me. I think that putting insidious messages to the audience by using a vehicle inspired by religion is offensive. No science fiction shows do much of that. Mention religion, yes. 2/3 of the world population is religious to some degree. But to use events in the Bible to create a show like Dominion or The Leftovers or Humanity's End or similar, is silly to me.

Please see the quotes and Perotta's own words. :) No event in any religion has a Rapture event except Christianity. Perotta has drawn upon this event, he specifically users the word Rapture, and he admits the source material, even though he has put his twist on it. The show is taking place after the Rapture:

This show is not about Christianity or even religion. But it takes place in an "authorverse" which is based on a Biblical event (like Dominion). If you make a show about a guy who suddenly starts hearing commands to build a huge ship (maybe via mysterious emails or text messages), and to collect a pair of all animals on earth because a giant flood is coming, what story are we telling? If that ship is an old retrofitted supertanker, and we tell the story of the people this guy encounters whilst collecting his animals, does that change the foundation of the story? Sure, we can use a supertanker, do some drama about the people watching the main character working on the ship, perhaps have an antagonist who wants to stop him, etc. But we are still telling the story of Noah and his Ark, which makes it Biblical and therefore Christian. Perrotta says of the inspiration of this show:

Not much room for misinterpretation here. No mention of string theory, or just saying this is some mysterious alien thing. It's the Rapture. He says so. I dont have a problem with people who believe in that, but I do not believe in a Rapture. If they did not mention the Rapture and omitted the opening scenes or at least changed them to something more generic, I could MAYBE warm up to it (probably not though).

I will read your comments on the show at GateFans, but I have watched my last episode of this. :) I'll try not to dump on anybody watching it.

Yup, thats all possible--I dont take much stock in shows based on books anymore --in that they will stick to the book that is--TWD and GAME OF THRONES are a couple of examples of extreme deviations

but we'll see, I just don't "buy" it that HBO execs would greenlight a show about "the" rapture--I am quite sure that the type of christians that buy into "the" rapture DO NOT pay for subscriptions to the Devil's Channel (HBO) :anim_59:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and more....

the "christian entertainment industry" is quite extensive and has completely served up this rapture rash trash many times to it's audience

whether the LaHayne "LEFT BEHIND" books (which I read not for the religiosity of the matter but I just thought it was a decent piece of future fiction)
or the plethora of movies about rapture and the loss and drama felt by those left behind to struggle with the forces of darkness

you know, the actual writer/editor of Revelations must have been quite a depressed, nihilistic (I think that fits best), "f" the world type of guy to write such a desperate piece

I do not believe that Jesus the man (or whatever 'collection ' of ppl delivered those sermons and thoughts) would of had any belief in the book of revelation or armageddon in any form. The msg's were of love and respect for one another knowing that for mankind to go on living in this world through offspring, then these teachings (really core human beliefs or "should be's" just wrapped up in a neat package) had to be addressed and delivered so that we could progress as a race. The seemingly endless wars and privations of that time must have made many to believe in no hope and no future--these teachings (THE ONES uncorrupted by later editors!) were necessary to show those who would listen that to move in to the future and progress then the old way of the world must be changed

I think that if Jesus the man believed in any kind of Armageddon or "rapture" then he would have said "you know what? everything is going to come to a "real" end. just ignore the "do unto others" stuff and those old laws of Moses and go party". Why bother with teachings of respect and platonic love of neighbor if he/they really thought that all would end soon? Some of his followers did beleive that the "end" would happen anyday--I blame them for starting this rapture nonsense

anyhow, I babble on...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well the last few eps haven't gone in any kind of direction-religious or otherwise

Just kind of boring

again, if it doesn't "shape up" I do not see why the HBO execs signed on to it

I have been reading some reviews of the book, and all of the reviews (those that I got through) only mention religion/religious 'rapture' as a touch stone point of reference. That is, many americans know about this biblical notion even if they do not believe it. They say Perotta-the author-uses this notion and reference just to ID the disappearances as an assumed "what if".

The only other type of "religion" is the inclusion of growing non christian cults in the aftermath of the disappearances.

Nothing references the end of the book--that is; no second coming, no Armageddon, etc

Sounds like a boring book as well. Wonder if HBO will be doing their own ending much like it seems they may be doing for GoThrones?

Anyhow, Stephen King liked the book, though lately, that isn't saying much:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/books/review/the-leftovers-by-tom-perrotta-book-review.html?_r=0

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

BAHAHA! The second Brietbart link said:

After three episodes, there's just one problem: the show sucks.

Oh, there's plenty of HBO sex and moody camerawork and solid acting and teases-about-something-bigger, but it goes absolutely nowhere and seems proud of that fact.

The first episode teased a bizarre cult that doesn't speak, wears all white, and chain smokes. The second episode… I can't remember a thing about the second episode. The third episode, which just aired this Sunday, centers on a mean-spirited priest trying to save his church from foreclosure.

I hung in there for three episodes because critics who had seen them in advance swore that episode 3 was where the show would finally take off and come together. "Hang in there; it's worth the wait."

No, no it's not.

Not even close.

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing024::smiley-laughing024::rotflmao:

I gotta wonder about the people who watch shows like this and then express APPROVAL for them. Really? Im not watching after only two episodes, but at least a million are. Why? All along the way from the concept of this turd to it's premiere, people at HBO were giving the stamp of approval. How did that happen? :confused0006: