THE LEFTOVERS==believe this show got another season?

B

Backstep

Does this show answer the eternal question; Was the Cavendish banana, human made to fit the human hand?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
BAHAHA! The second Brietbart link said:

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing024::smiley-laughing024::rotflmao:

I gotta wonder about the people who watch shows like this and then express APPROVAL for them. Really? Im not watching after only two episodes, but at least a million are. Why? All along the way from the concept of this turd to it's premiere, people at HBO were giving the stamp of approval. How did that happen? :confused0006:

Exactly--I can not fathom how this made it past the execs--maybe they were fed the same "string theory" connected/caused dissappearance thing and tie ins to real world ast dissappearances and gave the green light because of that

I will watch the rest of this season just to see what happens with it--mainly because I don't like to give up on anything

If it stays so turdworthy- I don't see how it gets a 2nd season

and how are they getting away with calling it "sci fi"? Somebody told a mighty big fib to the HBO peeps

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Does this show answer the eternal question; Was the Cavendish banana, human made to fit the human hand?

Perhaps the human hand was made to fit the Cavendish banana. :stung:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The critics are DESTROYING this show. The ratings have toppled, yet HBO has ordered a second season of the show (HUH?) A scathing review:

http://www.tv.com/news/the-leftovers-season-1-episode-4-bj-and-the-ac-review-140589565900/

As boring and constrictive as it sounds, television dramas require plot and theme. Plot is what we watch on the surface, theme is the sneaky lesson we accidentally learn. We watched Breaking Bad to see how far Walter White would go as a drug kingpin, but we learned about morality and the dangers of being consumed by personal drive. What are we watching The Leftovers for? To see people act out because their cousin winked out of the universe? What have we learned from The Leftovers? That it sucks to live in a world where millions disappeared without any reason and that toasters can be evil bagel stealers? The theme-heavy The Leftovers probably worked better as a book, but as a television series, it's failing. The frustrating part of all this is The Leftovers has so much potential.

The ratings are still around 1.5 - 1.6 million, so the bear is not chasing them yet. But the show is just sooooo bad.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The critics are DESTROYING this show. The ratings have toppled, yet HBO has ordered a second season of the show (HUH?) A scathing review:

http://www.tv.com/news/the-leftovers-season-1-episode-4-bj-and-the-ac-review-140589565900/

The ratings are still around 1.5 - 1.6 million, so the bear is not chasing them yet. But the show is just sooooo bad.

Yeah-I dont see what justification they are using..unless of course they know something /(i am fairly certain HBO execs can/could see every ep ahead of time if they want)we do not know

Though my enthusiasm has greatly dropped since the start, I must admit though the plot is all over the freaking place-the individual acting is pretty good though it varies-two seem real good; Margaret Qaulley-who plays the Cop's daughter and Scott Glenn who plays the guy;s dad-he is an experienced actor though.

IDK, maybe they will "reveal" whatever it is that they are using to call this show "sci fi" and also to justify all of that sci fi hype pre-launch

doubt it but will see--I will watch the rest of this season and if doesn't have some spectacular turn around, I'll be done with it

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah-I dont see what justification they are using..unless of course they know something /(i am fairly certain HBO execs can/could see every ep ahead of time if they want)we do not know

Though my enthusiasm has greatly dropped since the start, I must admit though the plot is all over the freaking place-the individual acting is pretty good though it varies-two seem real good; Margaret Qaulley-who plays the Cop's daughter and Scott Glenn who plays the guy;s dad-he is an experienced actor though.

IDK, maybe they will "reveal" whatever it is that they are using to call this show "sci fi" and also to justify all of that sci fi hype pre-launch

doubt it but will see--I will watch the rest of this season and if doesn't have some spectacular turn around, I'll be done with it

The Leftovers is not scifi. Nothing about it is scifi. They can call it whatever they like, but that does not make it so. There is nothing scientific about The Rapture. Not even remotely. And there is a plot? Please share it with us!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The Leftovers is not scifi. Nothing about it is scifi. They can call it whatever they like, but that does not make it so. There is nothing scientific about The Rapture. Not even remotely. And there is a plot? Please share it with us!

Dont ask me!! :SmileyLaughingTears: I am just as confused by what they are trying to lay down as well

I am asking what has the TPTB told to HBO or shown them to allow them to promote it as a sci fi show? And how did they attract well known scientists to take part in their 'making of' show talking about string theory and how that could theoretically explain disappearances--i mean, scientists aren't dumb (I hope)

Did they flat out lie, or is there something coming?

And they have shown.spoke about nothing in the plot to confirm or deny that it was any kind of "religious event". One small comment in the first ep by a character who is a anglican priest and that was only made to show his position of why it was not the rapture (missing ppl include murderers, rapists, corporate raiders, etc,etc all the wrong ppl with few of the "right" ppl)

The opening sequence which you referenced as a "rapture scene" isn't one. Instead on closer look, it only shows ppl fighting with one another, having sex, arguing with each other, etc,,all on a cathedral styled ceiling. there is no depiction in it of ppl "going to heaven

Not saying that if they do reveal something it will not be rapture-esqe just that they haven't gone there yet--just as they haven't gone anywhere really

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dont ask me!! :SmileyLaughingTears: I am just as confused by what they are trying to lay down as well

I am asking what has the TPTB told to HBO or shown them to allow them to promote it as a sci fi show? And how did they attract well known scientists to take part in their 'making of' show talking about string theory and how that could theoretically explain disappearances--i mean, scientists aren't dumb (I hope)

Did they flat out lie, or is there something coming?

And they have shown.spoke about nothing in the plot to confirm or deny that it was any kind of "religious event". One small comment in the first ep by a character who is a anglican priest and that was only made to show his position of why it was not the rapture (missing ppl include murderers, rapists, corporate raiders, etc,etc all the wrong ppl with few of the "right" ppl)

The opening sequence which you referenced as a "rapture scene" isn't one. Instead on closer look, it only shows ppl fighting with one another, having sex, arguing with each other, etc,,all on a cathedral styled ceiling. there is no depiction in it of ppl "going to heaven

Not saying that if they do reveal something it will not be rapture-esqe just that they haven't gone there yet--just as they haven't gone anywhere really

I am not saying they could not retcon it so that this Rapture is explained away scientifically somehow, but I have posted direct quotes from the writer and the author and they specifically state that this story is about those left behind after The Rapture (yes, the one described in the Bible). In the show itself, the word Rapture is mentioned in the very first episode. And to just gloss over the fact that the depiction of people being taken up into heaven on a cathedral ceiling is NOT the Rapture is just....LOL! Cmon man...:rolleye0014: :anim_59:

TheRapture.biz Header New 2 6 13.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just to refresh the memory...

From Tom Perotta's website itself (Tom Perotta wrote The Leftovers book and also is the writer for the series):

http://www.tomperrotta.net/content.php?f=2&n=2&page=the_leftovers

Excerpted QUOTE:

"What if the Rapture happened and you got left behind? Or what if it wasn't the Rapture at all, but something murkier, a burst of mysterious, apparently random disappearances that shattered the world in a single moment, dividing history into Before and After, leaving no one unscathed? How would you rebuild your life in the wake of such a devastating event?

This is the question confronting the bewildered citizens of Mapleton, a formerly comfortable suburban community that lost over a hundred people in the Sudden Departure. Kevin Garvey, the new mayor, wants to speed up the healing process, to bring a sense of renewed hope and purpose to his traumatized neighbors, even as his own family falls apart. His wife, Laurie, has left him to enlist in the Guilty Remnant, a homegrown cult whose members take a vow of silence but haunt the streets of town as "living reminders" of God's judgment. His son, Tom, is gone, too, dropping out of college to follow a sketchy prophet by the name of Holy Wayne. Only his teenaged daughter, Jill, remains, and she's definitely not the sweet A student she used to be."

End quote.

The bolded black is the first sentence of the paragraph, and is the opening of the show. They are showing the Rapture. It couldn’t be anything else. The story, however, picks up three years after this event. The green bolded is a tease, since this entire premise of people suddenly being taken away in an instant only exists in one religion on earth, and I do not even have to say it by name. Of course, the green bolded might be a possibility, but nothing in the show is allowing for the possibility of anything else. The Guilty Remnant could only exist if there was a Rapture (which meant redemption and salvation), and there were the (wicked and unworthy, supposedly) who were not taken up and left behind. Guilty. This is the story of those left behind after this specific event. When somebody comes along in the series and presents another possibility (perhaps a scientist with string theory?), then we have something interesting. Otherwise, I see it as just a snag from yet another oft used source for cinematic popcorn.

This is the painting in the opening scene of The Leftovers:

TheLeftoversPainting.jpg

That damned well IS depicting the Rapture, dude! If you are still going to argue this, even after seeing the author's own words, seeing the opening of the show, and looking straight at that painting, perhaps you just dont know the Rapture story?

The Rapture is not really in the Bible. It is a 19th Century creation of a man named John Nelson Darby, and is most widely taught in the Bible Belt states. It is an American creation and export. A pseudo-religious construct. It connects to the more rural/suburban/small town folk than city dwellers. It is a dramatised fiction based on these three scriptures:

• 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18, “For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.”
  • 1 Corinthians 15:20-23, “But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. 21 For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all shall be made alive. 23 But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ’s at His coming.”
  • 1 Cor. 15:51-52, “Behold, I tell you a mystery; we shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed.”
But today, many a religious zealot will talk about the Rapture as though it were in the Bible, and not only that but we all better prepare for it or become a leftover. That is why I do not like this show. The premise is unacceptable (not because of religion), and the two episodes I watched did nothing to present anything other than the angst of those left behind.

HOWEVER....

It has it's audience, as all products do. :). A fairly large swath of Americans actually believe this event will take place. The same Americans who are the majority of the Far Right and the Tea Party. Evangelicals with a social agenda. Target that crowd and you have a success in terms of TV viewership. :)

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So in season 1, the idea that the show is about the "rapture" was put to bed as just a smelly red herring.

It was something only being pursued by one main character anyhow

The disappearances do not meet the "specifics" of the rapture--one thing-raptured persons are to be taken body and soul with none of their earthly goods. that means naked. so, like in say either version of "LEFT BEHIND" (either the really bad Kirk Cameron one or the slightly better Nic Cage remake) we see piles of clothing, jewelry,shoes, cell phones, wallets left where the person was last standing

this did not happen in this show's disappearances

this season opened with a scene of a neolithic setting; the place in Texas where S2 takes place is shown in that long ago time with proto Native Americans (are they?) in a cave. A earthquake ensues, the sky does some stuff, and only two survivors.

This was to set up that this place in TX has some kind of geo-physical significance

During the disappearances-no one in this town was taken but more geologic happenings did take place.

other earthquakes opens what is a seeming vortex into which the water of a river (in the same place as the neolithic setting) vanishes

we see the main character "die" in one ep--trying to free himself of what is either a ghost or some one from perhaps a parallel universe

he wakes up in a hotel where the tv in his room seemingly serves as a conduit back to his plane where his father is in the exact room and is communicating to him through the tv

it also has the 'guilty remnant cult' trying to cause trouble on top of the paranormal

I'd say the show is taking more of a tack towards X-files then anything else

either way--HBO is still showing it--don't know how it made it after last season's performance

I watch it due to my "completer's disease" :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is not the first time a cable network has approved a show that right from the concept description should have been obviously bad news. For example, Torchwood Miracle Day should never have been greenlit and was a disaster. Sadly the people who greenlight the shows aren't always the best at understanding what sort of material will draw audiences in.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
tonights ep--season finale (hbo has not yet said if it will or will not be back)--quite a strange ep--really like nothing i have seen on tv before

<<I can't wait till science comes up with a vaccine for "completer's disease" :redface:>>

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and it is getting a season 3--recently announced

s2 had some promise of going more paranormal at least, but then they went with wrapping up a lot of what happened into a very banal and entirely normal event

still some interesting things out there though; like how the main character can communicate from one reality (where he believes he had to die to get to) wit his father in the "real world" through a hotel TV set--when they are both in the same room at the same time but on different planes of existence

also, the neolithic shot from S2 E1 with the paleo native americans living in the same area of Texas and also experiencing disappearances as well

that and other issues still up for grabs

watching cause of my "completion issues" but the show isn't that good-not good enough for another season imo

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I gave this show a shot but just wasn't getting the payoff that I wanted.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just to update this thread: This show was canceled June 4, 2017.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just to update this thread: This show was canceled June 4, 2017.

yes but it was cancelled in a way to allow the show to have an ending

yeah, ashamed to say I watched it....yes it was dumb

i cannot for the life of me see how (even millennials and hipsters) gave this show critical acclaim, 5 stars ,etc ,etc

that 'completion disease' thing of mine (at least i used to have a GF member here to commiserate in our shared 'illness'- SHAVED had the same 'problem') :(