The Fate of Blood and Chrome May Be Online

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
YES!!
It is a fun discussion :), I agree 1000% :P

True, but you are........ fortunate :P enough to live in the area. "Movie Magic" as a concept still attracts masses of attention, either directly via the movies or by the "follow on" markets.
I won't argue with you that the "entertainment industry" costs way, WAY too much (cause I wholeheartedly agree), but it is doing what any other industry does, charge what the market can bear (or tolerate). I RARELY go to the cinema, simply because it is FAR better for me to just buy the DVD of movies I am interested in, it's why I own so many movies, even ones I will happily say are junk. :)

Sure, but that not really the issue I am trying to address is it? It's not so much about what is "possible" but HOW it works? To use politics for an example (example only, I have ZERO interest in a debate on that issue :P) How much of the "red tape" is actually useful? do you *need* a structure like the White House as a "presidential home"? do you NEED the "Pentagon" as a buiding to be it's size? Do we Aussies need a frakking huge "parliament house" with what amounts to it's own purpose built state to govern a population smaller than New York State??
So much comes down to "image" as to be redonkulous, but that is the system we operate in. I think it sucks, but hey, I won't change it, so all I can do is try to understand it.

See my previous comments :P

Yes, I agree, and I think that is one reason why this discussion is interesting to us both, we don't actually "disagree" per se in essence, just the way we percieve the issue is different. What I'm asking I suppose is WILL people accept those changes? Will they (or even do they) WANT to loose the "movie magic" they grew up on? Most people have precious little "suspenstion of disbelief" in thier lives and reality has a fist like a brick sometimes. People thrive on "the ideal" (weather they admit it or not), so will they continue to pay to maintain that "ideal"? So far, the answer is YES.

You need to get out more bro............ :laughing:
Yes they are wildly different skill sets, one is high on the "social aspect", one is high on the "technical aspect" (or left Vs right brain dominance if you prefer :P) That However does NOT mean that given the same options, they would not become the same way..............

40-50 years ago ACTORS would dream of a million bucks, they did not get it then either. Yes you are looking at a theoretical "reset" on pay and such, but AGAIN, the scales are already set much, MUCH higher than they were 40-50 years ago. Its a temporary "fix" at best.

No, they won't. I have lost count of just how many excellent shows or movies I have missed because they were not "marketed" to me at the time. Many Indie films are FAR superiour to the crap getting regurgitated through hollywood, yet the "GP" still follow the "hollywood" market, and as such, that is were the money is. Again, it sucks, but there it is. I know YOU hate Advertising bro, but don't let your dislike of it minimise your understanding of the impact it has on people.

No, they haven't, they utilize the tools availiable to them to make sure "you" WANT to see it.

Yes it IS a monopoly, that is why it is at the point it is now, and that is very much part of my point. If you "control" every aspect of a feild, you can do whatever you want with it. (within certain reason)

Yes they are shut out, see my comments on "monopolies"
As to "shifting the distribution model" Yes, I agree, I shift needs to happen, my question is, *HOW* will that happen? YT views? they register hits and views yes, they measure "popularity" ,but until you can monetize that popularity, it don't mean jack, simply because *Money* is how we determine "worth" in western culture. Again, fair, no, real, yes.

It's not (OMNI's work), any different *in quality* the difference is in it monetary value. The guys doing the CGI for shows are getting PAID, AFAIK, OMNI isn't (much as I think his work is worth it). People won't "flock" to quality, they will "flock" to what gets sold.

To be continued :P
oh i have been payed for certain comissions etc so i can call myself a "proffesional" but i would def like to do something more long term and something i could live off of.

and yep they sure will.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
oh i have been payed for certain comissions etc so i can call myself a "proffesional" but i would def like to do something more long term and something i could live off of.

and yep they sure will.

You see what I am trying to say however. Yes you may have been paid for some work, yet more like than not probably NOT what is was worth in time and work. :(

sigh
I wanna say more, but I think it will be misread :(

OMNI

Note, that most of what is taped here is for television, not movies. It covers several acres and costs several million just to maintain. Entities like this are unnecessary and lavish to a degree no longer acceptable. Its comparable to the old 6gb Fireball hard drives of the 1990s as opposed to the ultra small SSD drives we use in laptops today. The Industry has never downsized. Indeed, they have bloated out even further. That is going to change because costs are out of control. I will not miss Fox Studios. But I will miss some of the stuff they have produced in those studios. They can produce more in facilities a fraction of that size. Look at all the sound stages! A high end CGI workstation (say, $4000 with external SAN) and a database of voice waveforms and algorithms can produce an entire cast of characters as well as the sets they are using. A modest sized (2000sq ft green screen sound studio can cover live action in any virtual locale.
indeed it can.

I disagree because the type of person that acts/performs is not the same type of person that programs in CGI. I have never seen a cigar chomping geek or a pouty female geek. Never. :) Many CGI artists would be ecstatic for a million dollars. They certainly dont get that right now! The scales are only set for live actors, not for CGI actors or teams producing them. Those scales are being made now, and they are far below that of actors/actresses. The buckets of cash come from the audiences of films, and the audiences will go where the fun is. If a great movie is made, people will flock to see it no matter where they have to go to see it. The Industry has made the grave mistake of assumption. They assume that if a movie is made, people will go to see it. If it is in 3D, then even more will see it. The same will be true, but the things being made may come from some small four-man production company doing CGI instead of Paramount or Warner Bros. The little man has been squeezed out by not being able to get on a cable network owned by their gigantic competitor, and by being denied running time in theaters. Its a freakin monopoly! But that is changing because home theaters are becoming the weekend outing. Those home theaters are usually connected to the internet which means that the distribution model can shift to paid subscribers to a specific producer's website ("XYZ did the CGI"). Artists would love to get just 2 mil. Right now, they are shut out. Soon, many of those waiters and waitresses who claim to be "writing a screenplay" will be taken seriously. When I look at OMNI's renderings of Atlantis, I find myself thinking "How is what he is doing any different (in quality) than the CGI done in the real show?". I dont see any...except his looks better :). People will flock to what is fun and entertaining.
damn straight i know many that would sell their souls and the souls of their loved ones for a chance at such pay for their VFX and CGI currently during crunch time in a CG house the higest you could possibly earn as a supervisor that can do everything and i do mean everything is aprox 1000US/day and imo that is piss poor earning for people that litterally kill themselfs for their house and in the end they recive NONE of the credit or the profit even tho these are the people that make what we all love to see and they most likly started out loving what they did only to end up hating every minute of it bc their are under payed and grossly overworked, dont get me wrong tho i myself would jump on the chance to be underpayed and overworked as a VFX/CGI artist but im sure id grow tired of it just as fast.

anyway check out this:
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/times-in-which-we-live.html

Very much related to this topic and make sure to read it all as its def an eye opener.

and i thank you again for the flattery and only to clear things up there the difference between my stuff and studio stuff is basicly budget as i am making my stuff for me i can take as much time as i like and make it the way that i like, i can also afford to throw thigns like rendertimes and deadlines out the window and make what i want and you cant do that in a studio for budget and time constraints.

also a difference worthy of note is HARDWARE i am currently marroned on a laptop running on one leg so i have to be smarter and more detail conservative and in some ways its similar to what video game modelers and 3d artist have to do as they have a certain detail budget the game engine can render in real time but me i have a limit of what my computer can render period if i had a real wor station quad core 16gb ram i could most def match and even surpass the detail levels weve seen in most new movies as id have the computing power to render it out which i dont have atm
I think that CGI artists will begin to emerge as their own powerhouses. Thats because now they see a way to get their stuff to an audience without having to do the Casting Couch or the Runaround when shopping their stuff "to the studios". SCREW the studios. Lets wait until some truly great Science Fiction is made by CGI geeks and written by true science fiction aficionados is available. Illiterati mentioned in another thread that she has taken up writing. I have as well, and Kindle Direct Publishing is free and available (I joined. :)). You can publish your books AND sell them on Kindle without ever needing to send anything to Clearing House or Publisher X in New York.
id love to see that how ever single individuals making full feature length movies are still ways off and probably will be for a long time if not forever as it is still ALOT of work but say 10 people and a time table of say 3-4 years would certainly be able to compete with todays super studios.

and yes that would indeed be a glorious day when the entertainent is made by true science fiction aficionados with the goal of being good epic entertainment and not the maximised uber profit bullsh't we see today.

OMNI

You see what I am trying to say however. Yes you may have been paid for some work, yet more like than not probably NOT what is was worth in time and work. :(

sigh
I wanna say more, but I think it will be misread :(
Definatly NOT what i would deem it as worth as i have to compete with others and that pushes the prices waaaaaaaaaay down.

an example take my destiny IF i could sell it the most i could charge would be around 100 bucks yet i have probably put in 40-70hours on that thing as is and if you put that in pay per hour it isnt even minimum wage.

btw check out this link: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/times-in-which-we-live.html
(i posted it in my last post aswell)

im sure youll find it iluminating.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Do I detect a bit of a thread drift Mr. Mod man? :rononwhistle::P

I feel a GateFans movie in the making. We'll call it Clash of the Mods. :D

Galactica13

GateFans Noob
huh? This was totally unexpected.
Here is what I am seeing syfy is doing.
Either...
1.They are testing an experimental business model and hoping that more people will watch online rather than TV.
OR...
2.Syfy has zero faith in science fiction and don't really want to see a TV show being made.Unlike the previous A Game of Thrones: Genesis game, Game of Thrones Seven Kingdoms will be free to play, and browser-based, so both Mac and PC compatible (though not Linux at launch), and is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG).
In Battlestar Galactica Online, it is for you to decide which side to stand for: Humanity or Cylon. You can not only experience the action-packed strategic battle with numerous offensive and defensive systems for resources and territory between Human and Cylon players,

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
In Battlestar Galactica Online, it is for you to decide which side to stand for: Humanity or Cylon. You can not only experience the action-packed strategic battle with numerous offensive and defensive systems for resources and territory between Human and Cylon players,
1: welcome to the monkey house.
2: I believe they are referring to what was a proposed web series.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep, this has nothing to do with the online game.