The Day After?

Jason1983

GateFans Noob
What will Syfy do the day after they cancel SGU? What will the future of the Stargate franchise be?
After Syfy cancels SGU and Caprica they will have plenty of new shows to replace them with according to this story from July:
<H1 class=entry-title>Syfy Announces Development Slate of 7 New Scripted Projects Featuring ‘Ball & Chain,’ ‘Me and Lee,’ ‘Orion‘ & ‘Sherwood

By Robert Seidman
– July 30, 2010
</H1>http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/30/syfy-announces-development-slate-of-7-new-scripted-projects-featuring-ball-chain-me-and-lee-orion-sherwood/58709 (Link has descriptions of new shows)

Most of these new shows appear to be action/adventure in nature...especially "Orion" and "Sherwood."
We also have another action /adventure for BSG...called "BSG Blood and Chrome."
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/10/syfy-greenlights-pilot-for-third-galactica-series/

So what does this mean for the Star Gate franchise?

My guess is that the most we might get is two tv movies primarily funded by Syfy. I can't see Syfy spending more money on another Stargate tv series because they have all these other shows in production. Of course with all these new shows in production Syfy might not have much money to make an SG-1 or Atlantis tv movie and so that might not happen...at least for a while.

What does everyone else think?

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

What will Syfy do the day after they cancel SGU? What will the future of the Stargate franchise be?
After Syfy cancels SGU and Caprica they will have plenty of new shows to replace them with according to this story from July:
<H1 class=entry-title>Syfy Announces Development Slate of 7 New Scripted Projects Featuring ‘Ball & Chain,’ ‘Me and Lee,’ ‘Orion‘ & ‘Sherwood

By Robert Seidman
– July 30, 2010
</H1>http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/30/syfy-announces-development-slate-of-7-new-scripted-projects-featuring-ball-chain-me-and-lee-orion-sherwood/58709

Most of these new shows appear to be action/adventure in nature...especially "Orion" and "Sherwood."
We also have another action /adventure for BSG...called "BSG Blood and Chrome."
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/10/syfy-greenlights-pilot-for-third-galactica-series/

So what does this mean for the Star Gate franchise?

My guess is that the most we might get is two tv movies primarily funded by Syfy. I can't see Syfy sending more money on another Stargate tv series because they have all these other shows in production. Of course with all these new shows in production Syfy might not have much money to make an SG-1 or Atlantis tv movie and so that might not happen...at least for a while.

What does everyone else think?

Hey I don't mind no SGA or SG-1 as long as there is not going to be an SGU movie.

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
I think "Stargate" will be done for a bit at that point. Who even knows if anyone will green light a movie, after all, that takes money to produce and budgets are tight these days.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Dustbin Destiny

I wonder if it ever occurred to these Brainiacs to sit down with fan focus groups and ask them what they want Stargate to be? Too late now: the magazine is dead, the movies are dead, and the dog's dinner of a television show is already exhibiting rigor mortis. Even Gayteworld is promoting that new BSG series as if it's their new horizon.

Stargate production will be dead (esp after they close the Bridge Studio operation) for a while, likely until they go back to the movie and rework it. Since everyone involved will be turfed (except Gero, I bet he'd survive) I'd bet they would also move production elsewhere. Expect to see, "Stargate Hawaii" in 2015.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I want it to be a complete clean sweep. A purge.

I wonder if it ever occurred to these Brainiacs to sit down with fan focus groups and ask them what they want Stargate to be? Too late now: the magazine is dead, the movies are dead, and the dog's dinner of a television show is already exhibiting rigor mortis. Even Gayteworld is promoting that new BSG series as if it's their new horizon.

Stargate production will be dead (esp after they close the Bridge Studio operation) for a while, likely until they go back to the movie and rework it. Since everyone involved will be turfed (except Gero, I bet he'd survive) I'd bet they would also move production elsewhere. Expect to see, "Stargate Hawaii" in 2015.

I dont want ANY of them to survive this. I want them ALL disconnected permanently from this franchise so that we can get a whole new reboot. Syfy should never have bankrolled this stupid show, and perhaps they will listen to the fans next time they try anything with Stargate. But this new BSG action/adventure thing sounds promising. I assume the "chrome" means cylons, and the blood is the humans which means WAR! It will most likely be a huge hit, as long as it doesnt try any of the soapy stuff BSG had going in seasons 2 3 and 4.

The next Stargate thing should be a movie, but not from the current people. I would rather they permanently shelve their movies and lets wait for a sequel from Emmerich and Devlin after the dust at MGM settles and the rights can be looked at.

Jason1983

GateFans Noob
The next Stargate thing should be a movie, but not from the current people. I would rather they permanently shelve their movies and lets wait for a sequel from Emmerich and Devlin after the dust at MGM settles and the rights can be looked at.

Have Emmerich or Devlin ever said what exactly the sequel would be about? (Are there any spoiliers for it?)
I heard they originally wanted to make it a trilogy.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I dont want ANY of them to survive this. I want them ALL disconnected permanently from this franchise so that we can get a whole new reboot. Syfy should never have bankrolled this stupid show, and perhaps they will listen to the fans next time they try anything with Stargate. But this new BSG action/adventure thing sounds promising. I assume the "chrome" means cylons, and the blood is the humans which means WAR! It will most likely be a huge hit, as long as it doesnt try any of the soapy stuff BSG had going in seasons 2 3 and 4.

The current PTB thought that because they had the legal "rights" to the SG franchise that it was their legal & artistic right to ride roughshod over a much-loved, 15 year sci-fi enterprise......... not so! To the fans (like myself), like the people who made the show a success by having such good taste, we ensured it's success, loved it & nurtured it. So it should come as no surprise the reaction from us with what TPTB did! To me it is the same as seeing some purple-suited "A-Pimp-Named-Slickback!" pimping off my little sister who I have always known as a decent, respectable young lady with morals & ideals to rival a saint! I take it just as personally.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I looked for some...

Have Emmerich or Devlin ever said what exactly the sequel would be about? (Are there any spoiliers for it?)
I heard they originally wanted to make it a trilogy.

No, I dont think they have written them yet. But They did say they were both interested in doing the other two and they did say they wanted it to be a trilogy. They are currently working on the next two Independence Day movies which makes ID4 a trilogy as well. So, I think the only thing in the way is MGM's stranglehold on the rights to Stargate. If the rights can be acquired by a more stable studio, we have a real chance at a proper reboot in the form of those two movies. If successful, we could be looking at a whole new reborn franchise.

I am wondering how Paramount is going to further Trek on TV...makes you wonder with excitement, huh? I would LOVE a new Stargate.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

No, I dont think they have written them yet. But They did say they were both interested in doing the other two and they did say they wanted it to be a trilogy. They are currently working on the next two Independence Day movies which makes ID4 a trilogy as well. So, I think the only thing in the way is MGM's stranglehold on the rights to Stargate. If the rights can be acquired by a more stable studio, we have a real chance at a proper reboot in the form of those two movies. If successful, we could be looking at a whole new reborn franchise.

I am wondering how Paramount is going to further Trek on TV...makes you wonder with excitement, huh? I would LOVE a new Stargate.

Overmind, please stop all of this talk about new science fiction movies & TV shows - I'm getting a lob on.

Jason1983

GateFans Noob

I had no idea they were working on 2 new Indep. Day movies. Thats Great!!!

What really makes me happy is the announcement of BSG Chrome and Blood.....not because its more BSG but because it definietly spells the end of "Soap Opera/Scifi."

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep...Will Smith is already locked in.

I had no idea they were working on 2 new Indep. Day movies. Thats Great!!!

What really makes me happy is the announcement of BSG Chrome and Blood.....not because its more BSG but because it definietly spells the end of "Soap Opera/Scifi."

Will Smith is already locked in to both movies:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/09/3...ls-plot-details-bill-pullman-roland-emmerich/

When we checked in with the director in February of this year as he was promoting the DVD for "2012," we asked for some "ID4-ever" plot details. And, much to our surprise, he delivered. Yet we haven't published Emmerich's thoughts until now. Sorry! First off, he describes the story — which would be set in the present day, over a decade after the alien invasion of the original film — as an "alternate reality" film.

"It's an alternate reality kind of movie," he said. "We pick up the story, what would have happened after this kind of attack? Naturally, the alien technology has changed everything."

Did they rebuild the White House? Who will be president?

"Or, who will be president?" Emmerich answered. "Who will be president? See?"

He'd just dropped us a non-too-subtle clue with that drawn out "will," and the implication was clear:
Will Smith, the fighter jet-flying hero of the 1996 film, at some point became commander-in-chief after the attacks. Whether he remains Mr. President during the course of the sequels or is eventually elected during the new films is an open question.

Interesting twist, huh?

Now to Bill Pullman, the president during the events of the first flick. While at the Toronto Film Festival to promote the indie "Rio Sex Comedy," Pullman chatted with MTV's Josh Horowitz about the "Independence Day" sequels and expressed skepticism that the movies would actually ever shift into production.

IMDb has some stuff on these films as well. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What is good for you?

Dude what did I just tell you?! Ooooohh, no to late, there it is. SPOOGE!

Dont you just HATE when that happens? Okay, better change before your shorts stick to your leg. :icon_lol:

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic

Blood and Chrome will likely have quite a bit of political drama, and Adama having young adult issues (notice i don't say teenage?)

It's going to be utterly epic, but don't think it'll just be action/adventure. There'll be romance, drama, and maybe some light soapish elements. I fully don't expect any full on soap opera stuff though, it'll be a true space opera :D My one worry is soapy stuff with the Cylons becoming Skinjobs. The whole thing about Cylons trying to learn to love.

I just want to see Vipers fighting Raiders and fucking Battlestars dueling Basestars :D FLAK!!!!!!

OMG, THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO SEE.

[video=youtube;XWfew_IbA-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWfew_IbA-0

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
Blood and Chrome will likely have quite a bit of political drama, and Adama having young adult issues (notice i don't say teenage?)

It's going to be utterly epic, but don't think it'll just be action/adventure. There'll be romance, drama, and maybe some light soapish elements. I fully don't expect any full on soap opera stuff though, it'll be a true space opera :D My one worry is soapy stuff with the Cylons becoming Skinjobs. The whole thing about Cylons trying to learn to love.

I just want to see Vipers fighting Raiders and fucking Battlestars dueling Basestars :D FLAK!!!!!!

OMG, THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO SEE.

[video=youtube;XWfew_IbA-0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWfew_IbA-0

You're right, this is what it needs to be. The soap opera/teen angst needs to be driven back to being a sub-story in order for this show to survive. No one wants another "Caprica", in fact, no one wants the current "Caprica", so either the people creating this new BSG show have learned their lesson and will give the viewing public what it wants or they will fail miserably. God help us all if they simply continue with the same tired blueprint of faux drama based "sci fi" shows nowadays.