The cake is a lie!

Was surfing through SGU images and came across this promo "poster" and I realized something: If the show actually was as exciting as this pic implies then it probably wouldn't have tanked as bad as it did.

(I love the way it shows the characters in motion, as if they're efficacious problem solvers when in reality they spend most of their time standing around whining and worrying about their personal problems, lol.)

Stargate+Universe+Promo+Poster.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Was surfing through SGU images and came across this promo "poster" and I realized something: If the show actually was as exciting as this pic implies then it probably wouldn't have tanked as bad as it did.

(I love the way it shows the characters in motion, as if they're efficacious problem solvers when in reality they spend most of their time standing around whining and worrying about their personal problems, lol.)

Stargate+Universe+Promo+Poster.jpg

SGU was such a painfully bad show. After all these years canceled, it still is really really bad. ZERO rewatch potential. You can't just jump in and watch a single episode because too many WTFs come up. A stranger to Stargate who has seen any of the other shows would ask questions. What are those rocks, and how do they allow these people to transport to earth? Oh wait, so it's just their consciousness? I see, but aren't they like...billions of light years away? This is Stargate? Are you sure?

A goodly portion of SGU never used the stargate at all.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to come down in the camp that says that SGU was incoherent, poorly written drivel. The logical problems with the plot only got worse as the show progressed, the characterizations were terrible (especially the misogynistic portrayal of all the women characters) and the tone (feeling of the show) was all wrong too. Need we even go back into things like the "sexstones"? Or how about these?

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads/is-the-use-of-the-communication-stones-in-sgu-rape.24667/

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/would-cannibalism-attract-viewers-to-sgu.23246/

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads/lou-diamond-philips-needs-a-job.24068/page-2#post-768550

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/thr...n-in-science-fiction-television-series.27089/

Last edited:
Ah, the magic "communication stones" that operated via "subspace", yet another thing the Stargate writers ripped off from Star Trek. :rolleye0014:

What makes it really pathetic is that the stones can't even be explained using the definition of subspace. Theoretically the laws of physics differ in subspace compared to normal space. But there are still laws of physics that apply to both space and (science fictional) subspace. Real time interstellar communication using subspace would still have limitations, namely a time delay caused when that signal re-entered normal space, and that's just with a simple voice transmission. Positing that one could transmit one's consciousness instantaneously across galaxies is beyond laughable. It doesn't even rise to the level of believable science fiction, that's how bad it is. There is no science there. None. Not even theoretically. None. Nada. Zero. Zippo. Zilch.

What a shit show. The writing on SGU was so bad it no doubt gave cancer to more people than Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined. Bastards.

Last edited:
I should say that as science fiction fans we give a lot of leeway to fantastical premises and theoretical science. We forgive the use of subspace on Star Trek because it's (mostly) used to facilitate communication between characters. It would be impossible to have a show if Picard had to wait a couple days to get a response to his stellar text message to Federation HQ. So we make allowances for that despite knowing that such a thing wouldn't be possible within this galaxy, the distances are just too great despite the gimmick of subspace. (And don't even get me going about communicating between disparate galaxies, oy!)

I have to come down in the camp that says that SGU was incoherent, poorly written drivel. The logical problems with the plot only got worse as the show progressed, the characterizations were terrible (especially the misogynistic portrayal of all the women characters) and the tone (feeling of the show) was all wrong too. Need we even go back into things like the "sexstones"? Or how about these?

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads/is-the-use-of-the-communication-stones-in-sgu-rape.24667/

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/would-cannibalism-attract-viewers-to-sgu.23246/

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads/lou-diamond-philips-needs-a-job.24068/page-2#post-768550

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/thr...n-in-science-fiction-television-series.27089/

When I first saw that promo pic at the top of the thread I was struck by how much it gave a false impression of what the show was about. We see Lt. Scott, Dr. Rush and CJ, all looking like they are in motion and heroically handling their "mission".

But the reality behind that pic is something much different:

-- Lt. Scott turns out to be nothing more than a walking, talking erect penis.

-- Dr. Rush turns out to be a vile sociopath/psychopath.

-- And worst of all, CJ turns out to be a misogynistically drawn door mat for her abusive commanding officer.

The cake was a lie. A sad, pathetic, poorly written, misogynistic lie.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Let's not leave out Chloe the vapid twit.....or Wray the power hungry lesbian.....or James and her t-shirts (note a pattern here)....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Must be time to jerk off the pubescent male audience. Cue half naked, big boobed thot.

benson6.jpg

Oooh, the show is so much better now!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Let's not leave out Chloe the vapid twit.....or Wray the power hungry lesbian.....or James and her t-shirts (note a pattern here)....

A particularly satisfying clip

Yes, it was obvious the female characters were written by a man (men) with a juvenile view of women. One doesn't have to be a feminist flag-waver to see how ridiculous the female characters of SGU were. The writing really was cringe worthy when it came to women. (Lt. Tits -- I mean, Lt. James, in a Hooters T-shirt? Yeah, that's not misogynistic at all. :rolleye0014:)

Oh wow, just found this amazing description of the females of SGU. It's near perfect, lol!
sguwomen.png~original

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, it was obvious the female characters were written by a man (men) with a juvenile view of women. One doesn't have to be a feminist flag-waver to see how ridiculous the female characters of SGU were. The writing really was cringe worthy when it came to women. (Lt. Tits -- I mean, Lt. James, in a Hooters T-shirt? Yeah, that's not misogynistic at all. :rolleye0014:)

Oh wow, just found this amazing description of the females of SGU. It's near perfect, lol!
sguwomen.png~original

They nailed it! I wish there was one on the guy characters too. I still have not yet figured out what they were trying to do with Rush. He was like Garek on DS9 where he had agendas wrapped inside of plots wrapped inside of manipulations wrapped up in decoys. And Lt Scott? Really? He had the decorum of a bad Private who was thrust into this situation before graduating from boot camp. And Eli, I still am not buying his Last Starfighter backstory even for fun.

I can actually watch the first three episodes without wanting to take a hand drill to my eyes, but that is about it.

They nailed it! I wish there was one on the guy characters too. I still have not yet figured out what they were trying to do with Rush. He was like Garek on DS9 where he had agendas wrapped inside of plots wrapped inside of manipulations wrapped up in decoys. And Lt Scott? Really? He had the decorum of a bad Private who was thrust into this situation before graduating from boot camp. And Eli, I still am not buying his Last Starfighter backstory even for fun.

I can actually watch the first three episodes without wanting to take a hand drill to my eyes, but that is about it.

The difference was that Garak was superbly written. He was layered and complex and his motivations were skillfully doled out over the course of the show. There was a fascinating yin vs. yang to his character. Was he a bad guy? Was he a covert good guy? If he was such a bad guy then why did we find ourselves liking him and understanding his motivations? The answer is, as I said, superb writing (and acting of course).

Contrast this with Rush who was written (and performed) like a hammer hitting a nail, over and over and over. Rush was psychopathic bluntness. He wasn't layered. He wasn't nuanced. He was just an asshole. Bad writing all around with this one, ugh! :sour:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Initially I thought SGU would be great, but as more and more news surfaced, I started to lose interest and then came the first episode - tried getting into it only to lose interest. As I watched more and more I started to hate it. The characters were obnoxious, annoying and just god awful. The storyline made no incoherent sense whatsoever. They kept jumping from place to place without following a coherent plot. Where they were going etc. The shaky cams made it even more annoying to watch. The only good episode was "Time" and perhaps 'Human' was another good one but that's as far as I know was a decent episode. Human still wasn't stargate. It was just well acted and that's it. Time was more Stargate.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
out of all the characters and the "Wrong people, wrong place" theme of the show, Rush did seem like the only character that did belong on the ship

and, his caffeine withdraw issues were hilarious!

couldn't stand any of the other characters -especially the commander. In the 'real world' a guy like that might never make LTC ,let alone be an officer in the USAF or any branch

But the massive mis-characterization of the military in SGU was not only not in sync with reality , it was also not in sync with the way SG1 and even SGA depicted the military.

that is a whole other topic though

This guy wrote up a rewatch review of part of Season 2 of SGU. As I read it I couldn't help but be reminded just how tortured the writing was on this show. It gave me shudders as I remembered just how awful it was. My God, I couldn't possibly sit through a rewatch. Just thinking about it saddens me. I mean, the producers had a great opportunity to give us a likable show for several more years and instead they willfully gave us this pile of crap. Ugh!

At any rate, here's the link. Try not to allow your brain to melt as you read through the description.

http://www.tor.com/2015/09/11/the-stargate-rewatch-universe-season-two/