The Borgias

G

Graybrew1

Anybody else out there watching the Borgias? It is a down and dirty nitty gritty kind of show. The acting has been superb , I too love Jeremy Irons. The oldest son almost steals the show. Alot of R rated stuff and not for the faint of heart.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Anybody else out there watching the Borgias? It is a down and dirty nitty gritty kind of show. The acting has been superb , I too love Jeremy Irons. The oldest son almost steals the show. Alot of R rated stuff and not for the faint of heart.
I've been watching it and love it.

Rodrigo Borgia wasn't Pope for very long (a little over a decade), but he certainly made an impact on things.

I love history :)

G

Graybrew1

Yes, I love all period pieces, when they are done well. And this one fits the bill for me. I have no idea how much is "real" and how much is pure hollywood drama but it is still interesting to say the least.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Yes, I love all period pieces, when they are done well. And this one fits the bill for me. I have no idea how much is "real" and how much is pure hollywood drama but it is still interesting to say the least.
I would imagine that there is little on record about internal Borgia machinations before, during and after Rodrigo achieved the Papacy, but some very creative minds obviously put a lot of thought into the possibilities therein.

G

Graybrew1

I would imagine that there is little on record about internal Borgia machinations before, during and after Rodrigo achieved the Papacy, but some very creative minds obviously put a lot of thought into the possibilities therein.

I certainly hope so , from what I've seen so far. :facepalm: That would be ugly indeed , if it was all based on facts for a Pope. :eek:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
yep head full of useless info.....

I've been watching it and love it.

Rodrigo Borgia wasn't Pope for very long (a little over a decade), but he certainly made an impact on things.

I love history :)

Me too and much of the show (i have heard) is based on things written after rodrigo died, to flatter an "enemy" pope (Julius II- the one who hired Michelagelo to paint the sistine chapel)so take it with a grain of salt, but then all the Borgias (especially Cesare) were nasty pieces of work. Rodrigo was not unusual for a pope of his time period. oh is the character of Leonardo DaVinci in it? he was cesare's "weapons master". he designed weapons.

G

Graybrew1

I really like the actor playing Cesare, he is both loveable and hateable at the same time. Have not seen Leonardo Davinci's character in it yet. I think the daughter is getting ready to make a major turn for the bad side next week.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Anyone watched this?

from what i can gather it seems intresting and its stars Jeremy irons so it cant be horrible but im wondering if anyone has seen it and if it is worth watching?
i find the premise sort of intresting but im still on the fence wether to go for it or not.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1582457/

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
It's pretty good - I'd say go for it. Sort of like Sopranos in the Middle Ages. :icon_e_wink:

OMNI

It's pretty good - I'd say go for it. Sort of like Sopranos in the Middle Ages. :icon_e_wink:
thats sort of what peeked my intrest in it ie "the original crime family" so i like the premise and Irons... meh ill go check out the pilot and see how it is :)

G

Graybrew1

Anyone watched this?

from what i can gather it seems intresting and its stars Jeremy irons so it cant be horrible but im wondering if anyone has seen it and if it is worth watching?
i find the premise sort of intresting but im still on the fence wether to go for it or not.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1582457/

I absolutely love this show. :thoranime12:

It is very,very gritty. I just mentioned it on OT.

SGU had nothing on steamy scenes, the older brother is gorgeous evil naughty fun. Jeremy Irons is superb in it. The best thing about this is the character's are all three dimensional. And Heck you even find yourself feeling sorry for the assassin, if not respecting him. There is alot of drama to it. So, If you don't like drama, you might not like it. But it is historical drama. About the faliings of years gone by religious corruption to the papacy. A perfect example of why there is separation of church and state.

Murder, War, Sex, Politics....juicy :biggrin:

If I had to describe the experience of watching this show I would say devilishly delicious. :P

OMNI

I absolutely love this show. :thoranime12:

It is very,very gritty. I just mentioned it on OT.

SGU had nothing on steamy scenes, the older brother is gorgeous evil naughty fun. Jeremy Irons is superb in it. The best thing about this is the character's are all three dimensional. And Heck you even find yourself feeling sorry for the assassin, if not respecting him. There is alot of drama to it. So, If you don't like drama, you might not like it. But it is historical drama. About the faliings of years gone by religious corruption to the papacy. A perfect example of why there is separation of church and state.

Murder, War, Sex, Politics....juicy :biggrin:

If I had to describe the experience of watching this show I would say devilishly delicious. :P

Thank you! ill definatly be checking it out now.

and i do like drama but goooood drama ala sopranos etc not ala SGU :P
ill be watcing the pilot tomorrow then :)

SciphonicStranger

I gotta say - King Charles is really growing on me. :cool:

G

Graybrew1

also what sort of sold me in the premise :P (big history buff ;))

Me too. I love period stuff. Tudors is much closer to this than Sopranos. I think Sopranos was good, but this show to me is much better. It is mixed with assumed real, dramatized and somewhat factual history. When I watch stuff like this, I personally like to wikipedia the heck out of the character's to see which one are "real" and which ones are completely fabricated.

I am a total dork for this stuff. :biggrin:

OMNI

Me too. I love period stuff. Tudors is much closer to this than Sopranos. I think Sopranos was good, but this show to me is much better. It is mixed with assumed real, dramatized and somewhat factual history. When I watch stuff like this, I personally like to wikipedia the heck out of the character's to see which one are "real" and which ones are completely fabricated.

I am a total dork for this stuff. :biggrin:
ok noted im sure ill love this then :) (hopefully i can sell the mrs on it to - shes not a big history buff but she likes good drama)

*Same goes for me, i love history as knowing it can explain the present ;)

SciphonicStranger

You are a sick pup, and so was he. But he did not pull any punches , that is for sure.

It's good to be King! :biggrin:

I haven't seen the Tudors yet - will need to check that out someday.

G

Graybrew1

It's good to be King! :biggrin:

I haven't seen the Tudors yet - will need to check that out someday.

Yes, but you see Lucrezia has him wrapped around her little finger. :P

I loved Tudors. It think it was on the air for 4-5 seasons. All six wives. Once again, lots of Murder, Sex, War...not quite as gritty but close.