The Best and the Worst - Depictions of women in Science Fiction Television series.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, the "Women of SciFi" thread that runs parallel with the blog post JL published. I thought a new thread instantly gets created when that happens, no? :daniel_new004:

(I know this is the initial thread but it isn't logging the comments from the article the way the Rick Grimes one did/does.)

Yes, unless he did not select the category the thread is supposed to be published in. :daniel01: The video showed the process...I will check.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Oh, and how come no one mentioned Farscape??
You want to compare writing and depictions of woman, Compare Aeryn Sun and Vala

Farscape crossed my mind actually. The female characters on that show were, for the most part, fascinating.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
You make excellent points here.

Most shows seem to show women simply as mobile heaving breasts looking to be "saved" by the show's menfolk. Firefly's women wouldn't have put up with that kind of rampaging stupidity.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You make excellent points here.

Most shows seem to show women simply as mobile heaving breasts looking to be "saved" by the show's menfolk. Firefly's women wouldn't have put up with that kind of rampaging stupidity.
Not "saved", but LIBERATED! :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I could, once we get it all straightened out how to make it work - I'll just merge these two into a bigger initial article then others can respond.

I fixed everything wrong with it. You have to choose GateFans Newsline EVERY time. I have successfully merged all of the threads and you have credit. Comments are working from the blog and from the forums, and you can reply either place. :)

This is a great article. :cameron21:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
My bad. I had selected Editorial because I figured an opinion piece wasn't "news".

Good points. I would note that with Seven of Nine the producers may have originally intended her to be eye candy (although interestingly there was a divide was Moore had wanted her to look rather more Borg) but the end result was a strongly written character with a definite arc.

As to Farscape, I do agree that it did a good job of not presenting women as simply relationship objects. It is an example of the "good" but to me the two I presented were just a little bit more distinct in this area. Now the character in SG-1 of Vala is interesting. I would call that character more of a comedy character than a drama character and Claudia Black did a great job of bringing her to life. That said, the material given her was kind of thin and Vala wasn't really given an arc that developed her that well - a true pity given the caliber of the actress.

And Shaved, James in SGU is an excellent point. I had considered going into more detail on just how offensive the entire character was but I wanted to keep the blog post length manageable. However on second thought I might do an edit and expand a bit on her because she so typifies the wrong headedness of the writing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My bad. I had selected Editorial because I figured an opinion piece wasn't "news".

Good points. I would note that with Seven of Nine the producers may have originally intended her to be eye candy (although interestingly there was a divide was Moore had wanted her to look rather more Borg) but the end result was a strongly written character with a definite arc.

As to Farscape, I do agree that it did a good job of not presenting women as simply relationship objects. It is an example of the "good" but to me the two I presented were just a little bit more distinct in this area. Now the character in SG-1 of Vala is interesting. I would call that character more of a comedy character than a drama character and Claudia Black did a great job of bringing her to life. That said, the material given her was kind of thin and Vala wasn't really given an arc that developed her that well - a true pity given the caliber of the actress.

And Shaved, James in SGU is an excellent point. I had considered going into more detail on just how offensive the entire character was but I wanted to keep the blog post length manageable. However on second thought I might do an edit and expand a bit on her because she so typifies the wrong headedness of the writing.

James was SO BAD in Stargate Universe that she set a new low. This is all I can remember of her in the show:

stargate_darkness_3.jpg

I cant remember her doing anything but standing around Destiny, or having sex with somebody. She didnt really have her own episode where she was focused on, and I dont remember how she even got to Icarus.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
IIRC she traveled to Icarus in the broom closet...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
IIRC she traveled to Icarus in the broom closet...

Chloe was supposed to be one of the central characters along with Lt Scott (BJS). Neither one of them did anything for the show IMO. But the worst thing of all were those idiotic, mindblowingly dumb communications stones. :facepalm: They added the mega-whore element to it by allowing Chloe (already a slut) to REMOTELY slut out some hapless, dumb volunteer female on earth and get drunk in a nightclub with Eli.

SGU is beyond wrong.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
You think so? Jeri Ryan is actually quite a good actress. :) They never really focused on her...um...assets like they did for T'Pol. No private massage sessions, no secret trysts with officers, no sweaty shower scenes. Only at the end of the last season did they ship her with Chakotay and I thought that was done well.
never focused on her "assets"? the costume did that. everyone else was in starfleet uniforms - even the former Maquis-- why not her????? Be'lanna & janeway were great characters- both attractive women but not in catsuits and spike heels (and where in hell did those heels come from?)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They actually didn't Rac. Despite the catsuit (the spurious explanation was it was supposed to help her skin recover from being Borg'ed) they didn't do pseudo erotic stuff like the gel rubs in the decon chamber or T'Pol receiving gene therapy from Trip. That was the irony - she wore a catsuit and heels but the actual writing of the character was very UN-cheesecake.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I would say the women in BABYLON 5 were depicted pretty well. Particularly Ivanova.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They actually didn't Rac. Despite the catsuit (the spurious explanation was it was supposed to help her skin recover from being Borg'ed) they didn't do pseudo erotic stuff like the gel rubs in the decon chamber or T'Pol receiving gene therapy from Trip. That was the irony - she wore a catsuit and heels but the actual writing of the character was very UN-cheesecake.

Don't forget, the gel rubs were necessary, though I don't recall them ever having say, Tripp and Archer coming back from a trip at the same time...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
All these silly ratings I can now give posts has got me spending more time rating than posting. I also seem to be handing out pointless ratings that make little sense. :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
All these silly ratings I can now give posts has got me spending more time rating than posting. I also seem to be handing out pointless ratings that make little sense. :D

In other words, you are having fun. :) That is why they have been installed here. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
@ Joe
I assume Buffy is not on this list as she more fits into the fantasy/supernatural schtik?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That and I never saw it.