Testing Windows 10

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
In a way I like the notion that everything Edge or related is always in a container, but on the other hand with the Edge engine no longer supporting VML, VB Script, Toolbars, BHOs, or ActiveX in any way I am not 100% sure of the need. Edge compensates by embracing HTML5 fanatically. So far I have not run into a site that does not operate properly in Edge, I suspect because of the heavy HTML5 support.

Plus, Edge will very soon have a VS/HTML based addon model.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This whole thing is mimicking the open source Linux model and IIRC, Microsoft briefly considered going open source. I think this move is brilliant because most of the newest Microsoft offerings (including the ones in the pipeline) have a cloud component which means the potential for subscription based software and "in app purchases" which can come from the apps in the "Metro" facet of Windows 10. I love the way you can run the Metro apps in a window on the desktop. :)

What is even nicer is the Universal App model allows full fledged Windows applications to be deployed in the "store". And any such App will operate properly on desktop, laptop, tablet or phone. That is because the UA development model scales across all devices just like the OS does.

And of course tip for the free upgraders - go to the store and if you don't already use Office grab the free Word, Excel, Powerpoint and such. The Universal Apps will rollout with Win 10.

http://www.windowscentral.com/universal-touch-first-office-apps-windows-10-will-be-available-july-29

ecgordon

Star's Hero
Other than, "Yes, go with the Windows 10 upgrade," almost everything else you guys have been saying might as well have been in Greek. :(

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
So, here I am, once again frustrated by Microsoft's incessant need to play nanny.

I have a zip file that contains copies of emails and various documents. When I navigate into or extract all files from the zip, nearly everything is missing. The file is intact. Corruption is ruled out because, well, the file opened.

So, I brought up the zip files properties and clicked "Unblock" to get rid of the Internet Zone bullshit that arbitrarily decides what content is safe. Didn't help at all.

To get around this, I downloaded WinRAR, opened the file and PRESTO everything shows up. However, viewing the file inline was impossible. I had to extract all files in order to open them for viewing.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or some group of well-hidden security settings need to be changed. If that's the case, why DA FUQ does Windows not even bother warning you that it's hiding files within the archive?!?

The whole thing happens quietly and I argued with my tech and a client for over 30 minutes that the files contain the contents I emailed.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That does sound weird. I use zip files all the time without issue.

Bluce Ree

That does sound weird. I use zip files all the time without issue.

Grab a bunch of emails in Thunderbird or Outlook, drag them into a folder then zip them up and email them to yourself.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, here I am, once again frustrated by Microsoft's incessant need to play nanny.

I have a zip file that contains copies of emails and various documents. When I navigate into or extract all files from the zip, nearly everything is missing. The file is intact. Corruption is ruled out because, well, the file opened.

So, I brought up the zip files properties and clicked "Unblock" to get rid of the Internet Zone bullshit that arbitrarily decides what content is safe. Didn't help at all.

To get around this, I downloaded WinRAR, opened the file and PRESTO everything shows up. However, viewing the file inline was impossible. I had to extract all files in order to open them for viewing.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or some group of well-hidden security settings need to be changed. If that's the case, why DA FUQ does Windows not even bother warning you that it's hiding files within the archive?!?

The whole thing happens quietly and I argued with my tech and a client for over 30 minutes that the files contain the contents I emailed.

That's what you get for running Windows 10! :anim_59: Seriously though, several previously taken for granted things cannot be done with Windows 10 without adding programs. Like reading and opening DVD's (don't ask about burning). Certain compressed files will not uncompress (I suggest 7zip over WinRAR). There are issues with digitally signed PDF's and installing third party encryption software (specifically Trucrypt 7a). Run a packet sniffer on your network when Windows 10 is "idle". You cannot see what is being transferred, but you can see the volume of data.

Some people are waking up in the morning to find that Windows 7 has upgraded them to Windows 10 because it is listed as a "recommended update".

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'll run this once I get home. Hopefully I can see something to make it easier.

Was the user receiving the zip file in the Outlook desktop application or another one? Or a browser interface?

Bluce Ree

That's what you get for running Windows 10! :anim_59: Seriously though, several previously taken for granted things cannot be done with Windows 10 without adding programs. Like reading and opening DVD's (don't ask about burning). Certain compressed files will not uncompress (I suggest 7zip over WinRAR). There are issues with digitally signed PDF's and installing third party encryption software (specifically Trucrypt 7a). Run a packet sniffer on your network when Windows 10 is "idle". You cannot see what is being transferred, but you can see the volume of data.

Some people are waking up in the morning to find that Windows 7 has upgraded them to Windows 10 because it is listed as a "recommended update".

I work in Ubuntu, as you know. I switched over to Windows this morning to look at why the people I emailed a zip file to were not seeing all the files within the zip.

I know it has to do with some sort of security settings but, following what I knew and some info I got off the net, there was just not way to show the missing files. The archive unzipped just fine. Windows was, let's say, "excluding" files it deemed insecure without any warning whatsoever and simply hid them from the user. Only using WinRAR was I able to extract these files. Oddly, even trying to view the files from within WinRAR without unpacking the archive was being blocked by Windows. :disturbed:

Bluce Ree

I'll run this once I get home. Hopefully I can see something to make it easier.

Was the user receiving the zip file in the Outlook desktop application or another one? Or a browser interface?

Both in Outlook desktop and in Gmail.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, just reproduced the steps in Outlook desktop. I got a security dialog asking me to confirm the zip file was trusted, after answering Yes I was able to open normally. Gmail likewise worked properly. All files were visible and accessible in both scenarios.

Bluce Ree

Okay, just reproduced the steps in Outlook desktop. I got a security dialog asking me to confirm the zip file was trusted, after answering Yes I was able to open normally. Gmail likewise worked properly. All files were visible and accessible in both scenarios.

I didn't get any security dialog, neither did my tech or my client. Another friend of mine just tried and got the same as us.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hmmm.....that suggests something different in our configurations

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Windows 10 problems. :) Money in the bank.....