Terra Nova Cancelled

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They never had a season 2 - just a season 1.

I'm sure there are a lot of complicated numbers involved in bringing any show to Netflix. As a current subscriber I would love to see more original content there.

Thats right, the break. I would also love to see some original content, but do something cheaper like the sorely missed "V" with Morena Baccharin. :). That show could EASILY be done with a modest bidget. Terra Nova had outstanding effects far and away better than many shows. But without a solid premise and interesting characters, it flounders. You can see what they are trying to do:

• Appeal to families
  • Appeal to mothers
  • Appeal to children
  • Be cool, yet responsible at the same time

These canned shows just don't work. Best to appeal to each segment separately and give us something better. :cool:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Thats right, the break. I would also love to see some original content, but do something cheaper like the sorely missed "V" with Morena Baccharin. :). That show could EASILY be done with a modest bidget. Terra Nova had outstanding effects far and away better than many shows. But without a solid premise and interesting characters, it flounders. You can see what they are trying to do:

• Appeal to families
  • Appeal to mothers
  • Appeal to children
  • Be cool, yet responsible at the same time
These canned shows just don't work. Best to appeal to each segment separately and give us something better. :cool:

Yeah the "be all things to all people" template seems to work against all these shows. It waters them down and makes them uninteresting over all, like vanilla ice cream. You can't please everybody.

For what it's worth I think Terra Nova was pretty good even though the style was stretched thin trying to appeal to all audiences (kids, teens, adults). I think Falling Skies tends to do this too so I wonder if they're going to change up the style for the second season and make it more gritty and/or go in a different direction than trying to appeal to all audiences. I guess we shall see. Suffice to say I found the focus on children in the first season of FS to be a turn-off. I just don't think it works to focus on cutesy cutesy kids in post-apocalyptic worlds. I get what the writers are going for there but it often doesn't work.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah the "be all things to all people" template seems to work against all these shows. It waters them down and makes them uninteresting over all, like vanilla ice cream. You can't please everybody.

For what it's worth I think Terra Nova was pretty good even though the style was stretched thin trying to appeal to all audiences (kids, teens, adults). I think Falling Skies tends to do this too so I wonder if they're going to change up the style for the second season and make it more gritty and/or go in a different direction than trying to appeal to all audiences. I guess we shall see. Suffice to say I found the focus on children in the first season of FS to be a turn-off. I just don't think it works to focus on cutesy cutesy kids in post-apocalyptic worlds. I get what the writers are going for there but it often doesn't work.

Agreed. If you draw in that audience, then you should not have adult story lines going on because it takes away from the child's experience. I think the kids want to see dinos and explosions and cool fights and guns, and the adults need the drama and suspense and some T&A. But like you said, it comes off dull and bland. Sorta like a Barbie doll with all her bits smoothed over. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Next thing we know they will try to make such shows "edgy", probably by including human-dinosaur shipping...:eek:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Next thing we know they will try to make such shows "edgy", probably by including human-dinosaur shipping...:eek:

Well, many many many shows have had human/alien shipping so the human/dino thing isn't that far fetched (provided we aren't talking about beastiality here). They'd probably do a sentient and intelligent dino-man type of thing. At any rate, the race relations issue from the 60's has been done ad nauseum under the guise of human/alien relationships so unless it can be done with a new twist then it's not that interesting any longer.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Knowing the producers Shaved, we'll get a torrid love affair between the teenage daughter and a Velociraptor...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I started to like this show near the end. I keep hoping to see a "Terra Nova Uncancelled" thread. :(