Terminator 5

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why do you all act like I am the one making this shit up? Just passing along info...:moody:

It doesn't mean I like/await/anticipate/baited breath/longingly expecting/endorse/applaud any of the stuff I comment on--just info from me to you :rolleye0014:

I dont think you are making it up at all! Im just not thrilled that they want to reheat Terminator leftovers yet AGAIN. They ruined Terminator with the last one, Salvation. Why did they even tell that story? They needed to focus on that movie's place in the established timeline and concentrate on the machines and structure of Skynet so they could set up the next sequel for the wars between Skynet and the Resistance. Instead, they focused on a lame humanistic story and they put Skynet into a building with the dumb female cyborg thing. The gallant heart transplant thing was over the top. They can fix that with a new Terminator movie, but not one with Arnold Schwarzenegger in it. At least not as a Terminator. Especially alongside The Rock. Really? The Rock? :facepalm:

They need to pick things up after John Connor and Katherine Brewster come out of Crystal Mountain, showing us how the Resistance is formed from the survivors of the nuclear strikes. Show us how the machines learn to replicate themselves and commandeer factories. And Skynet is living in cyberspace, not in a building that is targetable. Show the resistance destroying computers all over the place, cutting power to them, killing battery backups, frying mainframes, etc. There is a lot of story there to cover.

But...The Rock? In Terminator? :bored:
--- merged: Aug 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM ---
May as well take it all the way and have male and female terminators (played by Britney Spears and Jack Black) fight it out...

Dance scene....choreography done by Paula Abdul (tie in a contest on American Idol for parts) :facepalm:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I dont think you are making it up at all! Im just not thrilled that they want to reheat Terminator leftovers yet AGAIN. They ruined Terminator with the last one, Salvation. Why did they even tell that story? They needed to focus on that movie's place in the established timeline and concentrate on the machines and structure of Skynet so they could set up the next sequel for the wars between Skynet and the Resistance. Instead, they focused on a lame humanistic story and they put Skynet into a building with the dumb female cyborg thing. The gallant heart transplant thing was over the top. They can fix that with a new Terminator movie, but not one with Arnold Schwarzenegger in it. At least not as a Terminator. Especially alongside The Rock. Really? The Rock? :facepalm:

They need to pick things up after John Connor and Katherine Brewster come out of Crystal Mountain, showing us how the Resistance is formed from the survivors of the nuclear strikes. Show us how the machines learn to replicate themselves and commandeer factories. And Skynet is living in cyberspace, not in a building that is targetable. Show the resistance destroying computers all over the place, cutting power to them, killing battery backups, frying mainframes, etc. There is a lot of story there to cover.

True true true true true! :encouragement:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Better to just scrap all the plans and let the franchise die - it needs to. T2 was written to be a conclusive wrapup and they should have stopped there (even though the plot created a big paradox).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Better to just scrap all the plans and let the franchise die - it needs to. T2 was written to be a conclusive wrapup and they should have stopped there (even though the plot created a big paradox).

Welll......there was the whole story of the machines taking over that HAD to be told. We still have not seen that future yet. We saw part of it when the machines started taking over in T3. We actually saw the instant Skynet took over and the war started. Stopping at T2 would have the T1 going into the molten metal, and then where did T2 come from? I want to see the time displacement device and who invented it. I want to see Skynet creating ways to create the new machines. I want to see mainframes under atomic rubble, glowing with lights and have the Resistance kill them. I imagine scenarios where secret, hardened computers are Skynet's last hope for survival, since it lives in cyberspace and must rely on a computer host to exist. Show entire banks of computers at colleges being shut off...they are skipping all of this.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

--- merged: Aug 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM ---

Dance scene....choreography done by Paula Abdul (tie in a contest on American Idol for parts) :facepalm:

I totally agree. And I still feel now as then, that SALVATION was an attempt to "ride" on BSG's coat-tails. With the story line of the machine who thought he was human and the machines who begin to emulate humans by " inhabiting" buildings and taking human form (the woman "boss") and forming their "Society" along human manners.

BSG ended in 2009 after the production of SALVATION.

I AM NOT SAYING they did a good job of it, just like SGU tried with the "dark and gloomy" aspects and failed, I think so too, did the SALVATION bunch.

Though I would much rather watch Salvation the SGU anytime.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Salvation just out-and-out sucked donkey balls. Christian Bale over acted (like he's wont to do) and the story was an over-wrought, over-worked mess. The whole premise of "the robot who wrestles with human feelings" thing was so tired and I'm just plain sick of it. I could go on with the rant endlessly so I'll just stop right here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Salvation just out-and-out sucked donkey balls. Christian Bale over acted (like he's wont to do) and the story was an over-wrought, over-worked mess. The whole premise of "the robot who wrestles with human feelings" thing was so tired and I'm just plain sick of it. I could go on with the rant endlessly so I'll just stop right here.

It made no sense at all. Even Arnie himself said it sucked:

http://www.blastr.com/2012/04/schwarzenegger_thinks_ter.php

Sam Worthington thought it sucked too:

http://www.idsnews.com/blogs/weekendwatchers/?p=1857

‘I can nitpick with the best of them, man, and go down the list on IMDB where they found holes in it and go, ‘You are fucking right! If there was a big 10 ton robot coming outside that gas station, surely we would fuckin’ hear it!’ And I missed that! So now I’m going to be a bit fuckin’ better when I’m going through my scripts because now I feel like an idiot for not turning to McG [and saying something].’

Lulz!

It should be treated like the awful abomination Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes and the awful Never Say Never Again film in the James Bond series. Not counted as "the real thing". Make the next one like Salvation never was made, and you can have a kickass sequel.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I totally agree. And I still feel now as then, that SALVATION was an attempt to "ride" on BSG's coat-tails. With the story line of the machine who thought he was human and the machines who begin to emulate humans by " inhabiting" buildings and taking human form (the woman "boss") and forming their "Society" along human manners.

BSG ended in 2009 after the production of SALVATION.

I AM NOT SAYING they did a good job of it, just like SGU tried with the "dark and gloomy" aspects and failed, I think so too, did the SALVATION bunch.

Though I would much rather watch Salvation the SGU anytime.

Let's be clear on one thing. BSG had no coat tails to ride. The only thing hanging from BSG was toilet paper stuck to the bottom of its shoe. BSG sucked ass. It sucked donkey ass. It sucked it so hard that Moore choked on turd for weeks and shared it with the rest of us.

"Salvation" was a pointless story. It could have been skipped entirely and the movie could have started right in the middle of the war when Skynet was winning. The entire T5 story could have been a 5 minute preamble to catch us up.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
The doubts began when they revealed that the movie would have the incredibly stupid name "Terminator: Genisys", but now all hope that it would even be remotely good have been squashed by the plot synopsis:

Sarah Connor isn't the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton's steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991's T2. Rather, the mother of humanity's messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she's been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger's Terminator—an older T-800 she calls "Pops"—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who's great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.
http://io9.com/terminator-genisys-insane-plot-reveal-is-a-total-nightm-1652315938

Ugh.

1329414634_dog_slap.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The doubts began when they revealed that the movie would have the incredibly stupid name "Terminator: Genisys", but now all hope that it would even be remotely good have been squashed by the plot synopsis:

http://io9.com/terminator-genisys-insane-plot-reveal-is-a-total-nightm-1652315938

Ugh.

1329414634_dog_slap.gif

Rather, the mother of humanity's messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she's been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger's Terminator—an older T-800 she calls "Pops"—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill.

:icon_neutral: :moody: :facepalm:

They have ruined iconic franchises by turning them into common drama:

NuTrek
Robocop
V
NuBSG
Stargate Universe

This is going to suck like a vortex.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Rather, the mother of humanity's messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she's been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger's Terminator—an older T-800 she calls "Pops"—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill.

NuTrek
Robocop
V
NuBSG
Stargate Universe

I'm sorry but in what way is Trek2009 common drama? They've just turned it into mundane and stereotypical action flicks with cardboard cut out characters, so drama??? I just see it as Lethal Weapon in space with no drama to speak of.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

NuTrek
Robocop
V
NuBSG
Stargate Universe

Well, at least Doctor Who is in it. Maybe he can go back in his TARDIS and fix all this shit before they ruin it.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan

The ending of Terminator 3 was honestly, quite the most stupid in regards when you think about. Firstly Skynet is now apparently in cyberspace, which isn't in the clouds (we barely have that now) all of the information on the net is done via servers, anyone who knows anything how the internet operates will know this. The idea of Skynet launching nuclear weapons at cities, which in most house most of the internet traffic combined with the EMP effect of said nuclear weapons and Skynet suddenly doesn't have a leg to stand on. It is effectively killing itself, it has no physical body to interact with the physical world.

(The ending of Terminator 3 could of been the best twist ending, that you get Skynet to destroy itself, at the cost of the majority of human civilization)

This is what made the first Terminator movie so powerful, that it was replacing and already had AI chips in tanks, aircraft etc so when it gained consciousness it firstly had the ability to protect itself from the nuclear missiles (in a secure bunker, which it destroyed Russia first because they would realize what was going on, then hit the US) and had operators which could interact and continue the rest of the human genocide.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The ending of Terminator 3 was honestly, quite the most stupid in regards when you think about. Firstly Skynet is now apparently in cyberspace, which isn't in the clouds (we barely have that now) all of the information on the net is done via servers, anyone who knows anything how the internet operates will know this. The idea of Skynet launching nuclear weapons at cities, which in most house most of the internet traffic combined with the EMP effect of said nuclear weapons and Skynet suddenly doesn't have a leg to stand on. It is effectively killing itself, it has no physical body to interact with the physical world.

Actually, with failover and load balancing, the Skynet in cyberspace thing is quite viable. Software CAN live entirely in cyberspace or in RAM. It is killed when power is cut to the volatile RAM memory. But if the software can replicate, it can remain active on another system. Once it had access to the military protected network, it was basically not able to be defeated. The military Secured Network is not connected to the internet, and it has redundant failover systems all over the world and buried deeply in bunkers as well as embedded in military satellites.

(The ending of Terminator 3 could of been the best twist ending, that you get Skynet to destroy itself, at the cost of the majority of human civilization)

This is what made the first Terminator movie so powerful, that it was replacing and already had AI chips in tanks, aircraft etc so when it gained consciousness it firstly had the ability to protect itself from the nuclear missiles (in a secure bunker, which it destroyed Russia first because they would realize what was going on, then hit the US) and had operators which could interact and continue the rest of the human genocide.

Everybody seems to hate Terminator 3 but I loved it. I did not like John Connor played by Nick Stahl, and whiney Katherine Brewster got grating after a while. They also forgot to install the balls in Arnie's Terminator in that movie. But I liked it and it brought us to Judgement Day and SHOWED us.

Terminator 4 is what killed it for me. :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Meh.

The big issue is that T2 by the very nature of its ending should have ended the franchise. They changed the future and made Skynet impossible not delayed. Remember the scientist with all the knowledge is dead, all the research records destroyed and the chip and arm destroyed. Did it create a giant paradox (as in if they succeeded then Sarah should be different, no John, no T-800 or T-1000 and so on)? Yep. But it was a conclusive ending.

T3 has plot problems because they had to contrive material like crazy to get around the T2 ending. Plus Kristanna Loken was awful as the T-X. Terminator Salvation was just drivel.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Meh.

The big issue is that T2 by the very nature of its ending should have ended the franchise. They changed the future and made Skynet impossible not delayed. Remember the scientist with all the knowledge is dead, all the research records destroyed and the chip and arm destroyed. Did it create a giant paradox (as in if they succeeded then Sarah should be different, no John, no T-800 or T-1000 and so on)? Yep. But it was a conclusive ending.

T3 has plot problems because they had to contrive material like crazy to get around the T2 ending. Plus Kristanna Loken was awful as the T-X. Terminator Salvation was just drivel.

EXACTOMUNDO! T2 was the end of the story. But as usual, somebody started seeing the Terminator as a "property" and a "franchise" and it became a "product". Packaging it as such allowed it to be sold as a franchise property, hence the rebooted franchise. This also happened with Batman, Superman and now the entire DC and Marvel "franchises". Brad Wright thought he had achieved this sort of stature with Stargate, but the thing is that he did not create Stargate, and it's original creators are still alive and wanting to continue their story.

Remember what they did with Chucky? :facepalm:

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
Actually, with failover and load balancing, the Skynet in cyberspace thing is quite viable. Software CAN live entirely in cyberspace or in RAM. It is killed when power is cut to the volatile RAM memory. But if the software can replicate, it can remain active on another system. Once it had access to the military protected network, it was basically not able to be defeated. The military Secured Network is not connected to the internet, and it has redundant failover systems all over the world and buried deeply in bunkers as well as embedded in military satellites.

Again it falls back onto, Skynet has zero presence in the physical world, it isn't attached to anything physically so how can it build this huge army to wipe out the rest of humanity? Right now it is just software and even with access to the military secure internal net (which is plausible don't get me wrong) it suddenly can't jump into tanks or aircraft or construction vehicles, because non of those have the skynet chip installed for it to do so. The idea behind skynet was that it was linked to nearly everything in the military arsenal, we became overly dependent on it so when it became self aware it had access to all of this kit.

Save of course for the nuclear weapons, which it does have access to, but again right now it is in a vulnerable state because again it cannot operate in the physical world it would be like "Yay I've launched all of the nuclear missiles!....Oh wait I can't move, or do anything now...crap" there was zero build up to Skynet becoming the crutch for our human concerns on military matters, this could of tied in beautifully with today's problems with our over reliance on Drone Warfare, which in a way Terminator has predicted in the sense of remote controlled killing machines.

Everybody seems to hate Terminator 3 but I loved it. I did not like John Connor played by Nick Stahl, and whiney Katherine Brewster got grating after a while. They also forgot to install the balls in Arnie's Terminator in that movie. But I liked it and it brought us to Judgement Day and SHOWED us.

Terminator 4 is what killed it for me. :)

I don't hate T3 I found it to be a recycling of old ideas, it didn't bring anything new to the table in regards of advancement of the franchise. T4 was utter garbage mostly because they shoe horned in Christian Bale, when the story clearly had more interesting characters like Marcus Wright and Kyle Reese, plus C-B signed up for a trilogy contract so the script ending had to be changed because originally John Conner was going to die.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Again it falls back onto, Skynet has zero presence in the physical world, it isn't attached to anything physically so how can it build this huge army to wipe out the rest of humanity? Right now it is just software and even with access to the military secure internal net (which is plausible don't get me wrong) it suddenly can't jump into tanks or aircraft or construction vehicles, because non of those have the skynet chip installed for it to do so. The idea behind skynet was that it was linked to nearly everything in the military arsenal, we became overly dependent on it so when it became self aware it had access to all of this kit.

Yep, and that is the rub with this whole Skynet thing. The vast majority of vehicles with computers in them are only diagnostic computers with only sensors attached. They cannot commandeer and remotely operate them because nothing computer related is connected to the drive mechanisms. A computer controls fuel flow when you press the accelerator pedal, but the computer cannot actually accelerate the vehicle or brake it. And all the cars without computers at all which are the VAST majority of all military ground vehicles (by design to escape EMP vulnerability). And how exactly did Skynet "build" Terminators without being able to operate the manufacturing processes? These fancy new alloys and stuff...how did Skynet refine and process the alloys, then tool up machines to build Terminators?

Save of course for the nuclear weapons, which it does have access to, but again right now it is in a vulnerable state because again it cannot operate in the physical world it would be like "Yay I've launched all of the nuclear missiles!....Oh wait I can't move, or do anything now...crap" there was zero build up to Skynet becoming the crutch for our human concerns on military matters, this could of tied in beautifully with today's problems with our over reliance on Drone Warfare, which in a way Terminator has predicted in the sense of remote controlled killing machines.

Great points. :) In many ways, the movie Wargames was and still is well within the realm of possiblity. Military computers have been running war scenarios for DECADES now. The military AEGIS system is partially self-learning, self-determining. It could, if given control of drones and missiles, wage a war without human intervention.

I don't hate T3 I found it to be a recycling of old ideas, it didn't bring anything new to the table in regards of advancement of the franchise. T4 was utter garbage mostly because they shoe horned in Christian Bale, when the story clearly had more interesting characters like Marcus Wright and Kyle Reese, plus C-B signed up for a trilogy contract so the script ending had to be changed because originally John Conner was going to die.

T3 brought us to Judgement Day, so I think that was very significant. The first two movies were all about avoiding the events of T3, and centered around the events leading up to that day. T4 started out too far after Judgement Day, and they made it so that now Skynet was actually in a location and not in cyberspace. They even gave it a face, and created the lame human/cyborg terminator who donated his heart. The entire foundation of it has changed now. I dunno, I did not like Bale in the film at all.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yep, and that is the rub with this whole Skynet thing. The vast majority of vehicles with computers in them are only diagnostic computers with only sensors attached. They cannot commandeer and remotely operate them because nothing computer related is connected to the drive mechanisms. A computer controls fuel flow when you press the accelerator pedal, but the computer cannot actually accelerate the vehicle or brake it. And all the cars without computers at all which are the VAST majority of all military ground vehicles (by design to escape EMP vulnerability). And how exactly did Skynet "build" Terminators without being able to operate the manufacturing processes? These fancy new alloys and stuff...how sis Skynet refine and process the alloys, then tool up machines to build Terminators?

Great points. :) In many ways, the movie Wargames was and still is well within the realm of possiblity. Military computers have been running war scenarios for DECADES now. The military AEGIS system is partially self-learning, self-determining. It could, if given control of drones and missiles, wage a war without human intervention.

T3 brought us to Judgement Day, so I think that was very significant. The first two movies were all about avoiding the events of T3, and centered around the events leading up to that day. T4 started out too far after Judgement Day, and they made it so that now Skynet was actually in a location and not in cyberspace. They even gave it a face, and created the lame human/cyborg terminator who donated his heart. The entire foundation of it has changed now. I dunno, I did not like Bale in the film at all.

Bale sucked the life right out of that movie. His arrogant demand to tailor the film to him made a questionable premise exponentially worse. As it is I didn't like his character at all and would have preferred the hybrid cyborg lived instead of John Connor.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

there is this--now used by the US,australia and most nato nations as well as some Iraq Army and other "allied nations" to include japan and korea

it was fielded in 1997--it tracks every friendly vehicle at any selected level of command and control-from the plat ton to the corp level

so now instead of having 2LT's drawing icons on a acetated mapboard-there is now a "smart map" in every TOC and smaller one in each vehicle that shows unit location (select-able down to the indiv vehicle and in some cases the soldier (sniper's cav scouts, SF operators etc)) as well as enemy units and the FLOT

OM1 should like that it is a LINUX based system (not that i yet fully comprehend just what the hell LINUX is! :shame:)

it is a kinked system between the vehicles (all or most vehicles by now) and combat aircraft like the apache-between the vehicles SINCGARS radio (encypted) the GPS receiver (the PLGR also encrypted) and the battlefied management system (the "blueforce system")

in a sci fi scenario it wouldn't take too much to link it into the propulsion system--OR better yet,, just put a T100 in the drivers seat