Syndicate

S

Stonelesscutter

I was just watching Terminator 2 and when I got to the scene where Arnold devastates the vehicles of a couple of dosen police vehicles with a minigun I was suddenly reminded of a golden oldie in the world of computer games. Syndicate!

View attachment 4369

In this brilliant game by Bullfrog the player got to run a team of 4 people going on missions to secure more and more terrain for their syndicate. The team members could be enhanced. Stamina, speed, accuracy, responsiveness and intelligence were some of the things that could be improved upon. There was a vast array of weapons and other helpful gadgets available to the team once the necessary research had been done and enough money had become available. (money would come in through taxes levied on the conquered territories) One of my favourites, the minugun! But the flamethrower and rocket launcher could also come in quite handy. :)
One would often run in to police officers or guards which would completely ignore the team as long as they weren't openly carrying their guns or firing them. Stealing a police vehicle and driving around town shelling enemies was a lot of fun too. Ofcourse from time to time you would also run in to some rival syndicate's teams which is when the shit really hit the fan. Towards the final levels the place was swarming with enemy soldiers and missions got to be increasingly hard.
I've had so much fun playing this game. When I think about it now I just want to play it again, right now! :D I wished they would make a present day sequel to this game, without changing it into one of those dreaded first person shooters which are more common these days than fresh air. There was a sequel called Syndicate Wars which I bought, but I never got to play it because I couldn't get it to run on my system. :(

Anybody else have fond memories of Syndicate?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I was just watching Terminator 2 and when I got to the scene where Arnold devastates the vehicles of a couple of dosen police vehicles with a minigun I was suddenly reminded of a golden oldie in the world of computer games. Syndicate!

View attachment 4369

In this brilliant game by Bullfrog the player got to run a team of 4 people going on missions to secure more and more terrain for their syndicate. The team members could be enhanced. Stamina, speed, accuracy, responsiveness and intelligence were some of the things that could be improved upon. There was a vast array of weapons and other helpful gadgets available to the team once the necessary research had been done and enough money had become available. (money would come in through taxes levied on the conquered territories) One of my favourites, the minugun! But the flamethrower and rocket launcher could also come in quite handy. :)
One would often run in to police officers or guards which would completely ignore the team as long as they weren't openly carrying their guns or firing them. Stealing a police vehicle and driving around town shelling enemies was a lot of fun too. Ofcourse from time to time you would also run in to some rival syndicate's teams which is when the shit really hit the fan. Towards the final levels the place was swarming with enemy soldiers and missions got to be increasingly hard.
I've had so much fun playing this game. When I think about it now I just want to play it again, right now! :D I wished they would make a present day sequel to this game, without changing it into one of those dreaded first person shooters which are more common these days than fresh air. There was a sequel called Syndicate Wars which I bought, but I never got to play it because I couldn't get it to run on my system. :(

Anybody else have fond memories of Syndicate?

Yes indeed, but only the first one, You didn't miss anything special in sydicate wars IMO.
To help with your trip down memory lane: http://syndicate.lubie.org/

S

Stonelesscutter

Yes indeed, but only the first one, You didn't miss anything special in sydicate wars IMO.
To help with your trip down memory lane: http://syndicate.lubie.org/

I have just downloaded Syndicate for pc but at first it wouldn't run due to the 64-bit operating system.
So I installed dosbox and now I got it to run but the damn thing occupies only a tiny section of my high res screen. Aaargh!
So I think I'm going to get the Amiga version and run it on WinUAE. Probably would have been the best way to go in the first place.
WinUAE FTW! :D

S

Stonelesscutter

I've been playing the Amiga version of Syndicate for a few days (not continuously) and now only the final level remains.
I remember that one being particularly difficult. Insanely hard is more like it actually.
But I beat it in the past so I should be able to do so again. Probably after a hundred tries or so. :)
Anybody have any tips?
I was thinking Gauss guns, miniguns and medikits. Possibly a shield.

S

Stonelesscutter

Just saw this trailer for a videogame that's to be launched next week. It's a long awaited "sequel" to the classic Syndicate.