SyFy Picks Up 3 New Reality Shows

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

SerenityS

GateFans Member
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syfy-picks-up-three-reality-169676

What shows will be leaving to make room for these?

Enquiring minds want to know.

They really need to change the name of the network to something that doesn't even vaguely imply Science Fiction...

It is getting a bit much, isn't it? :(

In a few years the only scripted shows left may be the cheesy Saturday movies!

Guess we'll have to hope Eureka and W13 and Blood and Chrome to do well over the next year, just to remind them that a scripted show can work. You just have to wonder if the cost is worth the benefit to them.

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
Honestly, those don't seem near as bad as wrestling. I do think they need to just detach themselves with the "Science Fiction" genre though. It is clearly not the ball & chain they want to be attached too. I think the channel should be called "Special Intrest Channel" or something. "SpInCh" maybe?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Great, more "paranormal" bump in the dark with infrared camera footage. :roll:

The other "artifact" collecting shows I'm sure will be more fiction than anything. Reality shows are so heavily scripted these days as to make them fictional themselves. Just more crap on par with "Mary the Psychic" or whatever that garbage was called.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Great, more "paranormal" bump in the dark with infrared camera footage. :roll:

The other "artifact" collecting shows I'm sure will be more fiction than anything. Reality shows are so heavily scripted these days as to make them fictional themselves. Just more crap on par with "Mary the Psychic" or whatever that garbage was called.
Oooooo...more SHAKEYCAM!

Blarf.

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
what they really need to do is sell the show to someone like David Hewlett that is a geek, And or someone that is a Sci-Fi Fan. So we can get some more Real Science Fiction going again.

Inara

GateFans Noob
They really need to change the name of the network to something that doesn't even vaguely imply Science Fiction...

I was really surprised when they changed it from Sci Fi to SyFy, and not just because the latter begs to be mocked. It's USA's sister station and has pretty much lost a focus on anything sci fi, so why not call it USA2 and be done with it?

They could still have as much sci fi as they do now, without it actually being in the name of the channel and people expecting it to actually air what the name implies. Though I don't think I'd want them to do that now, since SyFy is a slang term for syphilis.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Honestly, those don't seem near as bad as wrestling. I do think they need to just detach themselves with the "Science Fiction" genre though. It is clearly not the ball & chain they want to be attached too. I think the channel should be called "Special Intrest Channel" or something. "SpInCh" maybe?

That's a few letters shy of "sphincter" and oh so appropriate given what's been coming out of that network lately.

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
Ha, yeah.

I did not know that it was USA's history channel. But, yeah, they should just rename it USA2. That would sure get a lot of people off their back.

It's obvious they don't really want to air Science Fiction.

Red Mage

Boney
Why are these shows not debuting on Chiller, you know the sister network of Syfy that actually deals with ghosts and all this paranormal genre stuff?

Inara

GateFans Noob
Why are these shows not debuting on Chiller, you know the sister network of Syfy that actually deals with ghosts and all this paranormal genre stuff?

Chiller has a lower number of viewers because it's often in the higher tiers for cable or satellite. Same with the other sister network, Sleuth. SyFy's in the basic package in most places, so theoretically can draw in more mainstream viewers.

Though even with Chiller and Sleuth, I'm seeing a lot of programming that doesn't quite fit under the umbrella. But I'm also seeing things like Sleuth running marathons of Psych, which in turn could bring new viewers to the show on USA. I think SyFy would be wise to do some of the same with both new and old shows repeating on Chiller. I know NCIS, always highly rated, went up in the ratings as it aged, which is very unusual, but it happened because marathons were being shown on USA and hooked new viewers to watch new episodes on CBS.

G

Graybrew1

More reality cr#% ?

It is such a shame. I had never watched BBC America before. But I recently started because Syfy has less and less Science Fiction on it. At least now I have a backup. I really hope the next round of this junk , crashes and burns and they figure out it is a fad. All fads eventually die. Some live longer than others but they all die.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
More reality cr#% ?

It is such a shame. I had never watched BBC America before. But I recently started because Syfy has less and less Science Fiction on it. At least now I have a backup. I really hope the next round of this junk , crashes and burns and they figure out it is a fad. All fads eventually die. Some live longer than others but they all die.

Yeah, BBC America seems to be picking up the ball that SyFy has dropped. Don't get me started on the whole "Being Human" thing as I find the North American version to be a pale imitation (at best) of the UK version. Ugh!

G

Graybrew1

Yeah, BBC America seems to be picking up the ball that SyFy has dropped. Don't get me started on the whole "Being Human" thing as I find the North American version to be a pale imitation (at best) of the UK version. Ugh!

With so little to watch on TV these days. I watch them both. I started watching the American one when it started and reading posts on another site about the BBC , I started watching that one too. So now I have alot of old reruns of BBC BH to catch up on.