SyFy Forums going dark on January 1st

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Wayne hurlburt..................

Mr. Hurlburt definitely knew how to get my goat. Over on Skiffy I had this brilliant theory that they would 'deep six' the Adama from Razor, and start off with a much younger William Adama, say about 19 or twenty. Everytime I mentioned it he would give me a three page discertation on how my theories was worth a bag of rocks.

Having a run of Williams in my family I knew that Willlie( William, Willie, Will) was just an extra character.

Mind you he came up with some realy good info that connected the Adamas leaving Tauron, the Caprica series, Adama's birth, and both wars. Bing, bing, bang and boom. Everything fit.

Such is life.

Annoyed

Surly Old Curmudgeon

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I suspect that the SyFy Forum is now in its death throes. Unstable wouldn't be the word for it as all of the Threads have been wiped clean since around 9:00. The odds of them coming back are slim and there is no evidence that any of the Threads have been fully 'archived' on another website.

So much for me thinking that Gate World would swoop in and do some amalgamating with Skiffy. I think I know now how all the TV viewers felt when they started to loose all of their favourite Westerns. We are a dying breed I guess.

SyFy 404.png

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Considering how a lot of people on GW feel about Syfy, be it over SGA or SGU, I very much doubt helping out syfy ever crossed Darren or David's mind to be honest.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I suspect that the SyFy Forum is now in its death throws. Unstable wouldn't be the word for it as all of the Threads have been wiped clean since around 9:00. The odds of them coming back are slim and there is no evidence that any of the Threads have been fully 'archived' on another website.

So much for me thinking that Gate World would swoop in and do some amalgamating with Skiffy. I think I know now how all the TV viewers felt when they started to loose all of their favourite Westerns. We are a dying breed I guess.

My dad loved his westerns. When Star Trek came out in the 1960s, all the popular shows on TV were westerns, and Roddenberry had to hawk the show as "Wagon Train to the stars". But by the 1970s they were all gone. I don't think science fiction can go that way because it is forward projected, not a period genre. I think we will see the disappearance of the swords and sandals genre before scifi goes anywhere. Fantasy can stick around along with science fiction for the foreseeable future, along with the foundation itself which is drama.

Annoyed

Surly Old Curmudgeon
I think the breed that is dying is that which prefers to communicate with complete sentences and paragraphs. Most of the youngsters seem prefer the social media instant hits such as Facebook and whatnot. Combine that with the financial incentives Facebook and its ilk offers, I'm not surprised that SyFy decided to pull the plug.
With that said, I do regret their passing.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Considering how a lot of people on GW feel about Syfy, be it over SGA or SGU, I very much doubt helping out syfy ever crossed Darren or David's mind to be honest.

As I recall Darren was more than happy to play the part of hand puppet for SyFy during the SGU debacle. Need I remind anyone of the pathetically sycophantic "exclusive" interview with Joe Mallozzi that he did? Or how about GW's draconian moderating and banning of people that didn't step in line and happily gulp down the shit that SyFy was giving us during that time?

The bottom line is that GateWorld is nothing more than a bootlicking vanity site that cares more about pleasing their corporate overlords than actually defending, and advocating for, genuine science fiction. Darren proved this long ago. We even took screenshots of all the GW nonsense that happened. And we have testimonials of the ill treatment that people received there for not towing the SyFy party line. The archives should be full of these examples.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I think the breed that is dying is that which prefers to communicate with complete sentences and paragraphs. Most of the youngsters seem prefer the social media instant hits such as Facebook and whatnot. Combine that with the financial incentives Facebook and its ilk offers, I'm not surprised that SyFy decided to pull the plug.
With that said, I do regret their passing.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
As I recall Darren was more than happy to play the part of hand puppet for SyFy during the SGU debacle. Need I remind anyone of the pathetically sycophantic "exclusive" interview with Joe Mallozzi that he did? Or how about GW's draconian moderating and banning of people that didn't step in line and happily gulp down the shit that SyFy was giving us during that time?
He played puppet for the shows and the writer/producers, but I never saw anyone get in trouble for dissing Syfy unless they did it by breaking other GW rules.
The bottom line is that GateWorld is nothing more than a bootlicking vanity site that cares more about pleasing their corporate overlords than actually defending, and advocating for, genuine science fiction. Darren proved this long ago. We even took screenshots of all the GW nonsense that happened. And we have testimonials of the ill treatment that people received there for not towing the SyFy party line. The archives should be full of these examples.
Not towing the GW party line, sure.
Not so much a Syfy party line.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lest we forget that is how GateFans started back in those thrilling days of yesteryear - refugees from the GateWorld "Forum Lords". Remember back then we went by a different name....

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
He played puppet for the shows and the writer/producers, but I never saw anyone get in trouble for dissing Syfy unless they did it by breaking other GW rules.

Not towing the GW party line, sure.
Not so much a Syfy party line.

Well let's face it, the bulk of what we're discussing is SyFy related.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well let's face it, the bulk of what we're discussing is SyFy related.
Syfy connected, sure.
Actually related to syfy the channel? not what I was referring to at all bro.
GW was up the butts of the stargate crew, no argument, they were never up the butts of Syfy.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I have to agree SyFy likes shooting themselves in their own rear. Gate World was only taking advantage of the popularity of 2 or 3 SG series.

I think Mark Stern either left SyFy or was pushed out. He landed at Ascension, while I remember him as one of the major domos on the "Outer Limits" reboot. Everyone at SyFy was trying, unfortunately the wrong people were trying to hard. If Ascension was well liked then they would be singing his praises for years to come. Unfortunately Season 1 hasn't worked out like they planned.

Back to the drawing board for some of the people who produced "LOST Girl" and "Orphan Black". Hey, I haven't even seen 12 Monkeys yet. You don't know how excited I am to finally see Ascension, a 'space show' that actually takes place in space.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Guess what? It doesn't.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have to agree SyFy likes shooting themselves in their own rear. Gate World was only taking advantage of the popularity of 2 or 3 SG series.

I think Mark Stern either left SyFy or was pushed out. He landed at Ascension, while I remember him as one of the major domos on the "Outer Limits" reboot. Everyone at SyFy was trying, unfortunately the wrong people were trying to hard. If Ascension was well liked then they would be singing his praises for years to come. Unfortunately Season 1 hasn't worked out like they planned.

Back to the drawing board for some of the people who produced "LOST Girl" and "Orphan Black". Hey, I haven't even seen 12 Monkeys yet. You don't know how excited I am to finally see Ascension, a 'space show' that actually takes place in space.

Um...:ronnon_whistling:...

tumblr_ma628lRwNr1rcg3xpo1_500.gif

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Syfy connected, sure.
Actually related to syfy the channel? not what I was referring to at all bro.
GW was up the butts of the stargate crew, no argument, they were never up the butts of Syfy.

Piddling semantics, bah! :playful:

roflbot (2).jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think after following everyone's conversation there is a good chance that there is some sort of twist coming up. Mind you just because the space capsules of 1962 had about forty feet of interior space. I can see how the next guy would design something that would be able to fit what looks to be a tree.

snickering.gif