Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
83B93E3F-6A19-4B62-8DBB-E9ADBAD4A37F.jpeg
Bow shot!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Passengers not allowed that far forward.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm back but turning around quick to head to the family for Christmas. I'll get a full presentation put together in a few days but for now here are some quickies:

IMG_0233.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg
IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0184.jpg
IMG_0131.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Nope. Christmas was in Indiana.

I should have the presentation done in a couple of days (I'm trying to save a couple of marginal shots by compositing with better ones).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Here's the first try at it:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sorry this thing is so long, but I had quite a few pictures to display in it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sorry this thing is so long, but I had quite a few pictures to display in it.

AWESOME slideshow! Question: roughly how many square feet does the Stonehenge circle cover?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
About 110 feet in diameter I think.

Then there are the other burial mounds and archaeological sites around it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
About 110 feet in diameter I think

maybe 110 meters?

its nearby twin woodhenge, measures at that

a artists rendering of woodhenge as it may have been:

woodhenge_research_2.jpg

there are other henges and sites as old as wood and stonehenge in the general area and throughout britain, made of stone or wood/both

as well as many single 'standing stones' all over. some with holes made into them so that 'wishes' could be written on some material and placed inside to, presumably, talk to the gods or dead ancestors

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/woodhenge/history/

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
seems the romans were not very impressed it it. no writings by any roman author speaks of it

but they did "possess" the pyramids and some other giants within their empire so they may have just said "nah, just a pile of rocks"

but then, since they couldn't transport it to rome (ala Egyptian Obelisks) maybe they just decided it was a non entity?
-------------------------------------------------------
seems that the miscellaneous groups we call the "saxons" were impressed though

they used it as a 'sacred place'- or rather the area very near to it, like the neolithic ditch, for executions and burials of the executed. which may have well been done for religious purposes/sacrifices

http://www.academia.edu/993424/An_Anglo-Saxon_decapitation_and_burial_at_Stonehenge

stonehenge does, apparently, roughly translate to "saxon" as "hanging rocks"

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually Woodhenge is significantly larger than Stonehenge. Stonehenge does come in at about a 33 meter diameter.

Stone_Plan.jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Actually Woodhenge is significantly larger than Stonehenge

i thought that I read that in a book, but I could not find it in an online reference to cite here

but the stonework always gets the glory! :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just thought I'd do a bit of a summary of things good and not as good on this excursion:

The Good:

a) The guide/driver I engaged was top notch. Not only was he knowledgeable and efficient he proved to be of assistance in one item I will be noting in the "not so good" section.

b) The staff at the hotel I stayed at in Southampton. Friendly and very professional.

c) The Platform Tavern in Southampton. When I decided to wander about a bit I found this place and had some tea and dinner (Bangers and Mash). VERY friendly and even with me being foreign and they not being a tourist location it was a lot of fun.

d) The policeman who came up when I was a bit lost and trying to navigate back to the hotel from the tavern. We had a delightful chat and he actually drove me back to the hotel.

e) The sites of both Salisbury and Stonehenge were glorious. At Stonehenge also the English Historical Society staff at the site, museum and the digs were all first class. At Salisbury as the Cathedral is an actively running church it is all volunteers who were likewise friendly and well versed in the site.

f) Basically everything related to the Queen Mary 2 was up to Cunard's usual high standards. Even things like having their representative come to my stateroom in person with my Gold Club pin (loyalty club thingee) which I had just earned showed a good personal touch. It was fun also talking to crew - especially the photographer who was daring enough to try photographing me outside in the weather we were in.

The Not so Good:

a) United Airlines. This was the Chicago to London Heathrow flight that started it all. Their lounge at O'Hare was okay if sort of dingy and way too warm. The flight itself was a flight with okay service; the onboard food was the big mistake on my part.

About an hour after their dinner my stomach began doing acrobatics which got steadily worse. After we landed the guide/driver noticed I was not well and got us out of the airport to a place with rest facilities. There I proceeded to lose my dinner which interestingly made me feel rather better. After a basic breakfast I was operational again. At Stonehenge my energy level started going up and I was actually feeling stronger by the time we hit Southampton than I had when we landed - despite the fact that by that point I had been up and running for about 29 hours.

I filed a report with United that evening in case it was foodborne illness and after investigation they both said no one else reported potential foodborne illness and refunded me a good portion of my fare - make of it what you will.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Obviously something in their food didn't sit well with you. It doesn't sound like full blown food poisoning but perhaps it contained something to which you are mildly allergic?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Perhaps. I even said I was just notifying them so they could check - I was not looking for recompense. And it was just a simple spinach pasta dish which I’ve made myself before.