Star Wars Holiday Special

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I had managed to never see this piece of drek the one and only time it aired in 1978.

Sadly, my dear gentle child showed me she posesses a heart as black and twisted as my own.

She made me watch the Rifftrax version. I think my brain is on fire now.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
That's the only one there was.

Carrie Fisher was apparently so out of it while it was being made that she doesn't even remember doing it. She sang a version of the theme to Star Wars to which lyrics had been added.

I wanted to gouge my own eyes out and stick pencils through my eardrums while it was on.

Yes, it is truly that bad.

Chewie's father is apparently called "Itchy" and his son is "Lumpy".

Lucas has said that if it were possible, he'd chase down every copy of this monstrosity and beat it to bits with a very large sledgehammer. The story goes that it was made with little to no input from Lucas, but it's got an animated bit that includes Boba Fett (done in a manner reminiscent of the Harry Canyon and Den sequences of Heavy Metal) and Fett's riding a dinosaur.

Methinks it stinks. I mean...it has Harvey Korman (in three roles), Bea Arthur, Art Carney, Jefferson Starship and Diahann Carroll in it, billed as "guest stars".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That's the only one there was.

Carrie Fisher was apparently so out of it while it was being made that she doesn't even remember doing it. She sang a version of the theme to Star Wars to which lyrics had been added.

I wanted to gouge my own eyes out and stick pencils through my eardrums while it was on.

Yes, it is truly that bad.

Chewie's father is apparently called "Itchy" and his son is "Lumpy".

Lucas has said that if it were possible, he'd chase down every copy of this monstrosity and beat it to bits with a very large sledgehammer. The story goes that it was made with little to no input from Lucas, but it's got an animated bit that includes Boba Fett (done in a manner reminiscent of the Harry Canyon and Den sequences of Heavy Metal) and Fett's riding a dinosaur.

Methinks it stinks. I mean...it has Harvey Korman (in three roles), Bea Arthur, Art Carney, Jefferson Starship and Diahann Carroll in it, billed as "guest stars".

SERIOUSLY? I am intrigued. Sounds like something fun to watch for a laugh, while stoned. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
SERIOUSLY? I am intrigued. Sounds like something fun to watch for a laugh, while stoned. :)
You would have to do some seriously heavy thing to that blob between your ears to be able to sit through this thing. It's TWO HOURS LONG!!!

But still...go for the RiffTrax version. It'll lessen the pain. It'll be like having your toes chewed off by a miniature Dachshund, instead of a Jack Russell Terrier.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I had managed to never see this piece of drek the one and only time it aired in 1978.

Sadly, my dear gentle child showed me she posesses a heart as black and twisted as my own.

She made me watch the Rifftrax version. I think my brain is on fire now.

OMG, I'll own up to actually watching this when I was a kid. I was such a Star Wars geek back then I would have watched anything SW related. And yes, it was pure drek! Even as a crazed, obsessed SW fan I knew it was bizarre and made no sense at all but I had to watch it cuz when you're a fanboy you really don't have a choice in these matters.

For years afterwards people thought I was making it up when I told them about this show. They couldn't believe it. :laughing: