Star Trek: The Next Generation

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
S1E10 - Hide and Q - 21/11/1987

Captain's log, stardate 41590.5. I don't see any men wearing skirts anymore aboard the Enterprise. It's the Q! I hadn't expected that from the title. "Your species is always suffering and dying." "Seized my vessel... Seized my vessel..." Lol. He wants to play a game. Good thing there aren't any saws in the neighborhood. O dear, if anyone gets a penalty Tasha will be gone forever. Someone make a penalty please. "When one is in the penalty box, tears are permitted." Oh, Picard. Q makes a log entry, "Stardate, today". Lol. Picard got under Q's skin. Wow! The phaser fire is so fake! O god, now Wesley is there too. And he got stabbed through the torso! Oh, but Riker spoiled it with his Q-powers. Data opening doors and juggling rocks to demonstrate his strength. Riker's becoming an asshole. On first name basis with the captain now. Q is giving a great performance in this episode. Geordi has eyes now. First thing he does is fawn over Tasha. Yuck. Nobody wants Riker's gifts. It's funny how old Wesley looks nothing like what we know Wil Wheaton looks like now.

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
S1E11 - Haven - 28/11/1987

Captain's log, stardate 41294.5. Riker has a table hologram of two ladies playing harp badly. A talking suitcase has a message for Troi. And wedding presents. The groom presents a chameleon rose. It changes color depending on the mood of the person holding it. Nice. Troi warns the captain that her mother is a little eccentric. Picard is honored to carry her luggage. The valet is quite a tall guy. The Haven planet has a stargate. A strange starship is coming. It's a Tarellian vessel. Apparently very dangerous idiots. The captain can declare all disagreements resolved. Lwaxana has a pet vine. And OMG she is so annoying. Lol, Data asks everyone to please continue the petty bickering. The Tarellians have arrived. Oh no! It's the groom's life long mystery lover! There are apparently only 8 of them left. The rest all died from a plague. Ah, the groom beamed over there. Guess Troi's off the hook. Mr. Homn likes the alcoholic beverages. The captain has naughty naughty thoughts about Troi's mum. O captain.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Haven was a weird sort of episode in that it had both doos parts and parts that gave one a headache.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Haven was a weird sort of episode in that it had both doos parts and parts that gave one a headache.
Having seen it plenty of times before, it was both boring and interesting at the same time. Best parts for me were Lwaxana annoying the captain.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Sorry, my computer went down for awhile and hubby had to wait for the parts to arrive to rebuild.

Yes, some of these eps are harder to watch then I wish, but there are little parts here and there that make it worth it.

For the last ep, I must say I have always found the Ferengi annoying even in DS9 when they were supposed to be part of the main gang on the ship. I don't find their greed based society in any way enjoyable to watch.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Having seen it plenty of times before, it was both boring and interesting at the same time. Best parts for me were Lwaxana annoying the captain.
It is difficult to say since the same actress is the widow of Star Trek, and she is the voice of the main computer. She was fine when she was a nurse in TOS, but annoying 95 percent of the time as Trio's mom.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It is difficult to say since the same actress is the widow of Star Trek, and she is the voice of the main computer. She was fine when she was a nurse in TOS, but annoying 95 percent of the time as Trio's mom.
Yes, she is bloody annoying! But she does annoying so well! In this last episode, the way she pretends Picard is romantically interested in her and treats him as if he were a servant is delightful.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Sorry, my computer went down for awhile and hubby had to wait for the parts to arrive to rebuild.

Yes, some of these eps are harder to watch then I wish, but there are little parts here and there that make it worth it.

For the last ep, I must say I have always found the Ferengi annoying even in DS9 when they were supposed to be part of the main gang on the ship. I don't find their greed based society in any way enjoyable to watch.
The Ferengi are a great addition to Star Trek as their culture is so different, yet is has similarities with our own that are taken to the extreme. And of course, females shouldn't wear clothing, lol. The rules of acquisition are great too. And in one of the recent episodes, the first officer had the captain arrested for engaging in an unprofitable adventure, not unlike pirates on the high seas might do.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
The Ferengi are a great addition to Star Trek as their culture is so different, yet is has similarities with our own that are taken to the extreme. And of course, females shouldn't wear clothing, lol. The rules of acquisition are great too. And in one of the recent episodes, the first officer had the captain arrested for engaging in an unprofitable adventure, not unlike pirates on the high seas might do.
I still just really hate them.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
S1E12 - The Big Goodbye - 09/01/1988

First Officer's log, stardate 41997.7. Holodeck time! Dixon Hill, private investigator, at your service. I need your help Mr. Hill. Someone is trying to kill me. It's only just started and Picard already has lipstick on his face. Not to worry, Beverly is there to wipe it off. Captain just realized he was ranting about the wonder of the holodeck and the kiss feeling so real during a staff meeting and quickly changed the topic, lol. Data reads all Dixon Hill novels really fast. Data's from South America, obviously. Captain got himself arrested for murder. It's totally logical, because they found a business card with his name on it among the victim's belongings. Beverly now also enters the holodeck, joining Picard and Data, and some other guy who's likely to bite the dust. Oh no! They're all trapped on the holodeck! And the aliens are impatiently awaiting the captain's appearance. Beverly's not afraid to swallow. Another moment between Picard and Beverly, the second one in this episode. Getting cock-blocked by Data and the unknown soon to be dead guy. Uh oh, holodeck safeties are apparently off. And now they know they are trapped. Panic time! Cyrus Redblock is paying a visit. This dude is annoying me, the wimpy little rat sniffling the boss' butt. If Wesley does his thing and it goes wrong, everything in the holodeck could vanish, including the real people apparently, lol. And two holo-characters just stepped out onto the Enterprise and very slowly vanished while they stood there being aware of it. How cheesily done. Now they're all saved and the captain aced his alien greeting. The aliens were so honored. This was a nice introduction of the holodeck, but later episodes featuring the holodeck will be better.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I did not mind this episode actually. A lot of Season One eps were not up to snuff - this was okay.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
S1E12 - Datalore - 16/01/1988

Captain's log, stardate 41242.4. There is no common cold in the future. Data's overly fascinated with sneezing. First officer's log, stardate 4124.5. Lol, Riker apparently travelled back in time, or otherwise I don't understand how stardates work. To be fair, I don't know how they work, I've never looked into it. Data's home is dead. Good thing La Forge is there to find the secret button. The head Data's holding that's supposed to look like him does SO not look like him. Mr. Argyle is the Chief Engineer. Children's drawings are being studied in the meeting room. Dr. Crusher is performing android surgery. Lore has awoken. The start of annoyances. Captain's log, stardate 41242.5. I suppose that's what Jonathan Frakes was supposed to say earlier, lol. Gotta finish this off. Crystal entity, Lore, yada yada yada, Wesley saves the day, boooring.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
S1E13 - Angel One - 23/01/1988

Captain's log, stardate 41636.9. The planet's technological advancement is comparable to mid 20th century earth. That would make them a pre-warp society, and as such there shouldn't be any contact with them, yet Starfleet is adamant they want to maintain excellent relations with them. And they first visited the planet 62 years ago. That would supposedly have made their society more like turn of the 19th to 20th century level at the time of first contact. Weird. The planet is ruled by females. May god help them. Riker's going to look pretty in the special dress-wear the aliens have given him. A lot of crew members on the Enterprise are sick with something that looks an awful lot like the common cold. Interesting since in the previous episode it was established that doesn't exist anymore. Geordi told Worf to "make it so", enjoying being in command. The reason the Enterprise is even at the planet, is to look for survivors from some freighter they found. Turns out, the survivors don't want to leave. Although the female leader of the planet doesn't appreciate them being there. Men cause too many problems when they're disobedient. Lol, because the Enterprise won't take the survivors against their will, the leader has no choice but to sentence them all to death. Really, then why didn't you do that before the Enterprise arrived. Such bad writing. It seems to be very much a dictatorship on this planet. Ran by mistress Beata. Lol! Data warns the Enterprise can't take any of the people against their will as it would violate several Starfleet regulations, among which the prime directive. They sacrificed that pretty vase to demonstrate their humane method of execution. Riker made a rousing speech. The execution is delayed. And now cancelled. Better to exile them. Crusher found a cure for the disease. Riker helps the captain to order Data to engage. All is well. To the Romulans!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah, TNG Season 1 did not have the greatest writing. It really took TNG two seasons to find its proverbial sea legs.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
S1E14 - 11001001 - 30/01/1988

Captain's log, stardate 41365.9. The ship is visiting starbase 74. Binars operate as a pair. One of them is named 10 (one-zero) and the other is named 01 (zero-one). You'd think that'd lead to a lot of confusion on Binus, as seemingly there are only four distinct names in their culture. Geordi's teaching Data how to paint. Riker's about to try some enhancements they implemented. Riker wants it more sultry. Now he's gonna show off his bone-skills. I recently saw him do the same as a very quick cameo in one of the Librarian movies, the one with Dracula. Data's awaiting inspiration. Red alert! Abandon ship! Some dude in the background is wearing a very short skirt, lol, I still can't get over that. Good thing they dropped that in the later seasons. Perhaps Star Trek was even more ahead of its time than we already knew. Everybody's off the ship, except for Riker and Picard, who are still enjoying their New Orleans jazz bar on the holodeck. Minuet was just stalling for time! It was all a ruse! Those bloody Binars stole the Enterprise! Jean-Luc and Riker are about to kick some binary butts. They are setting the auto-destruct, and interestingly the ship's computer is speaking to them with a male voice. Worf has a pretty big head. Oh, the Binars just wanted some help. I suppose it's alright then. Just trying to save their civilization by storing all their data temporarily on the Enterprise. Picard and Riker will try to send the data back to the planet. They need the code to access all the data the Binar's stored on the ship's computer.. Data says the code will be in binary, in groups of either 8 or 16 digits, which is interesting, as it shows the show was created before 32-bit and 64-bit processing. Ah well, all's well that end's well. Except Riker has to live the rest of his life without Minuet. How sad.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
S1E15 - Too Short a Season - 06/02/1988

Captain's log, stardate 41309.5. Man, that admiral looks really fucking old. Way older than any person in real life, and apparently he's only 85, hah! Ah, he's in one of those funky futuristic wheelchairs. Only he can negotiate with the terrorists. Dr. Crusher is on to him. There's something fishy. The cripple walks! And now he's starting to look younger. And younger still. This episode is quite boring. Some stupid plot about dissidents with hostages, but then there are no dissidents and it's just this old guy with hostages and a personal vendetta against the admiral. And the admiral's a dick. And now the character looks like the actor actually looks. He's now explaining the history to Picard, yada yada yada, I can't bear to listen to it. Gonna get myself some cornflakes. Looks like I didn't miss anything noteworthy. And he croaked. If I never see this episode again, that's fine by me. Very poorly written.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Season One is VERY uneven...

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
S1E16 - When the Bough Breaks - 13/02/1988

Harry runs face first into Riker's balls. Riker limping onto the bridge. Ooo, a cloaked planet, fancy stuff. Captain's log, stardate 41509.1. Alien incursion! They just beemed onto the bridge without warning. And brought flowers! Luckily they can't handle the bright light. They stole Wesley! And a bunch of other children. An acceptable compromise I suppose. Bloody Aldeans, just taking what they want. You're an artist Harry! Lol. They knocked the Enterprise three days away from Aldea, at warp nine. Bastards! Captain's log, stardate 41512.4. Harry likes dolphins. Chief Medical Officer's log, stardate 41512.9. The children are revolting. Wesley leads a hunger strike. Data and Riker boldly beam onto the planet through a tiny intermittent hole in the Aldean shield. They've disabled the computer. Crusher's explained to them that their sun's radiation has been making them ill. Picard orders to beam the children up. All is well. The Aldean leader has a 180 degree change of heart in no time. The Enterprise fixed their ozone layer. Toddler on the bridge! All is well.