Star Trek- Strange New Worlds

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well this is the first encouraging thing I have heard about any of these shows:returning to episodic format. One of the MANY issues with STD and Picard was the serialized format.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well this is the first encouraging thing I have heard about any of these shows:returning to episodic format. One of the MANY issues with STD and Picard was the serialized format.
It's not going to be what this promises. It is still going to be more like Picard than Discovery, neither of which are episodic. Picard is officially classified as "long-form episodic" which is sort of an oxymoron.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It's not going to be what this promises. It is still going to be more like Picard than Discovery, neither of which are episodic. Picard is officially classified as "long-form episodic" which is sort of an oxymoron.
Long-form episodic.... Maybe like each season is like one long episode, similar to a long movie.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Still slated for 5th of May release. Who's looking forward to it? I am.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Weird trailer for sure. Really told nothing about the show.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We seem to have an image of a Strange New Worlds Klingon:

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 11.50.08 PM.png

Unlike the Hellraiser Cenobite "Klingons" in STD this is not a bad look. An encouraging sign.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
This show is in the same exact universe as the first seasons of STD.
These characters and actors were on the first 2 seasons and this is a spin off, not a stand alone new show.

Unless they are doing another time jump, every species should be very similar to what was on STD.

I know they talked about surgical changes to the Klingons before, but this just feels like another wash-over to correct how bad the first season was and how they they to separate themselves from it and yet keep the same universe.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Could be - this if true is a pretty extensive makeover of the Klingons.

Were I them I would just call the entire Discovery-Picard timeline an alt timeline and have Strange New Worlds in a timeline where discovery never existed. It would give them a clean slate to write on.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I also saw they are going to a new uniform look that is much closer to TOS:

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 1.15.35 PM.png

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This show is in the same exact universe as the first seasons of STD.
These characters and actors were on the first 2 seasons and this is a spin off, not a stand alone new show.

Unless they are doing another time jump, every species should be very similar to what was on STD.

I know they talked about surgical changes to the Klingons before, but this just feels like another wash-over to correct how bad the first season was and how they they to separate themselves from it and yet keep the same universe.
Could be - this if true is a pretty extensive makeover of the Klingons.

Were I them I would just call the entire Discovery-Picard timeline an alt timeline and have Strange New Worlds in a timeline where discovery never existed. It would give them a clean slate to write on.
why not just say.. i mean WHAT IS IT with the lack of imagination OR RATHER the imagination going in the wrong direction with TPTB's these days?

just say that the 'klingons' in STD were just citizens of the Empire? another species natives of a subject world? i mean the Klingon empire must rule over hundreds of subject worlds and would it be a stretch that NONE of them would willingly serve the empire?

they could be klingons in the same way Asian ethnicities of Russia are 'Russians' just not Russki

i think that would clean it up pretty easily

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We seem to have an image of a Strange New Worlds Klingon:

View attachment 35682
Unlike the Hellraiser Cenobite "Klingons" in STD this is not a bad look. An encouraging sign.
VERY encouraging. But unless they are going to explain why there are Klingons like this in the timeline where SNW takes place (literally just a few years before Kirk), it won't be canon related to Roddenberry Star Trek. Visually, they seem to have lots of stuff on point.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I still think they need to literally erase STD from the SNW timeline - have the Organinans or such show up in the premiere and say that just not mentioning discovery is not enough to fix the problem and then they basically do a galactic timeline reset. That way they have a clean path forward.