Star Trek Movie (2009)

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
I know of that interview. I think Leonard Nimoy said that. But in that interview they also said that there wasn't any relationship between them then. They may have considered it, but at the time of TOS it wasn't possible. And like I said there are a lot of interviews where they praise it as something new and bold.

And in regards to "hints", you can interpret A LOT OF things into scenes, if you want. There were probably more "hints" towards a Kirk/Spock relationship in TOS than towards a Spock/Uhura relationship and that still doesn't mean that there was anything more between them than normal friendship, even through Gene Roddenberry said this about Kirk and Spock:

The suppose "hints" of a relationship between Spock/Uhura are by the way quite ridiculous and you have to have a vivid imagination to see them. Shippers of those mentioned often as a "proof", that Spock helps Uhura on her feet, when she falls down during a battle (I would say that is simple the gentleman and nice thing to do.), the forced kiss between those two in an episode (It was forced, so no hint at all in my opinion.) and the main hint is this song of Uhura:

[video=youtube;l0dzoF7Ev-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0dzoF7Ev-E

I still don't understand where shippers see in that video the deep love between Spock and Uhura!
Honestly they say that this scene shows clearly that those two are together in a relationship. That scene is their main argument for a relationship between those two. For me the whole scene appears more like Uhura having fun, entertaining the other people and tease Spock in a friendly, non romantic way. I really don't think that there is something romantically between them in that scene.
Well neither to I :P that's kinda my point. I wholeheartedly agree that the Kirk/Spock/McCoy relationship far outclassed anything else on TOS.

I'm simply saying that i knew it was done FOR that, but that it wasn't the highest point of the movie. I did like that Quinto played the stoic Vulcan, but it maked Uhura look teenager and desperate and so unlike the frosty officer we all saw in the movies :P

i honestly think there were too many tropes and references shoved into 2009, but it was still very very fun :P The "Cloverfield" reference of the alien chase scene had me in hysterics since i loved Cloverfield.

Personally, i think Spock/Chapel had more believability since there was that scene with Spock crying in TOS and talking about Chapel. At least that's whta i remember. The last time i saw TOS it was remastered and in spanish of all things :P

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
I've been involved in shipper wars (namely Sam/Jack and i've been on the anti-side) and been called waaaaaay worse. I think when you care more for a ship than teh actual medium they're in, it's a problem.

Not all shippers are like that, but alot are and it's why i've detached from that world for the most part. If this is what Spock/Uhura brings out, then i'm just walking away :P

F

Frumenta

I didn't know, that she said this about watching TOS. Did she really say this? I personally hate it when actors don't bother to watch a previous incarnation of the role they are playing. I would have expected, that she watched at least some TOS episodes.
Otherwise I don't have a problem with her. I liked Avatar, too, although I personally think that whole CGI thing made the actors less important. You don't see her real face in the movie. It would be for example relative easy to replace her with another actress.

One quote from Saldana is this: I am actually! I'm very proud to say I am a geek. But I'm kind of a cool geek. I grew up in a very sci-fi home so I've seen a lot of sci-fi movies, from Dune to Alien, 2001, ET, Batteries Not Included... All these films I go crazy for. But never Star Trek. but I'm having difficulty finding the one where she said that even after being cast as Uhura she didn't bother to watch the old series. It is possible that she was misquoted and I've been despising her for no reason all this time. Hmmm. Simply never watching Star Trek isnt' a crime in itself, there are sci-fi staples that I've managed to miss (I've never seen the Matrix, for example)

As for her participation in Avatar, she acted using motion capture and from documentaries it looked like hard work. I do think she deserves kudos for that no matter what I think of the movie.

I loved Karl Urban's approach. He did his homework on McCoy and it shows on his performance. He was the best :) I hope the trio does get formed in the next movie. Uhura might get shoehorned in there but I'll take it if I get my McCoy!

S

Stonelesscutter

I'm in agreement with those of you who said that the actor who played Bones did an exceptional job in the latest movie.
As for the whole Spock and Uhura kissing stuff...
I don't really give a ****.
Great movie.
Can't wait for some more of this. :)

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
(rebooting an old forum here it seems...haha)

I do have to say that I was really scared that it was going to be horrible. But is was actually very good I thought. I was seriously impressed.

And, the reboot story line left the door open to more new and totally different Star Trek. I have to agree that if they did do a TV series out of it, it would be different actors. These actors would not be doing the series.

I am also in aggrence that it probably won't be a Series spin off this till at least after this next movie. Maybe they can get a good cast if they do decide to do that, (I hope they do.)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thats where they could stumble (and break their necks)

(rebooting an old forum here it seems...haha)

I do have to say that I was really scared that it was going to be horrible. But is was actually very good I thought. I was seriously impressed.

And, the reboot story line left the door open to more new and totally different Star Trek. I have to agree that if they did do a TV series out of it, it would be different actors. These actors would not be doing the series.

I am also in aggrence that it probably won't be a Series spin off this till at least after this next movie. Maybe they can get a good cast if they do decide to do that, (I hope they do.)

And the bolded would be the BIGGEST mistake they could make. I totally agree that we will not have the excellent cast that they picked for Star Trek 2009. The characterizations, the appearances, the extreme attention to detail, it just could not carry into a TV series with new actors. Especially with the second movie coming out soon with the same cast from the first one. The new cast IS Star Trek for the 21st Century. I dont see how they are going to do this in a TV series. But I can see a way out for them....

They could create a NEW series with a new cast, a la Voyager, DS9, Enterprise, TNG, but set it in the same universe as the new movies as well as use some of the footage and the same CGI models for continuity. Create a different ship and have a new crew on it. They could release movies on a regular basis to continue the present new cast in the movies, and leave the knockoffs/alternates for the TV series, whilst maintaining the new canon.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
And the bolded would be the BIGGEST mistake they could make. I totally agree that we will not have the excellent cast that they picked for Star Trek 2009. The characterizations, the appearances, the extreme attention to detail, it just could not carry into a TV series with new actors. Especially with the second movie coming out soon with the same cast from the first one. The new cast IS Star Trek for the 21st Century. I dont see how they are going to do this in a TV series. But I can see a way out for them....

They could create a NEW series with a new cast, a la Voyager, DS9, Enterprise, TNG, but set it in the same universe as the new movies as well as use some of the footage and the same CGI models for continuity. Create a different ship and have a new crew on it. They could release movies on a regular basis to continue the present new cast in the movies, and leave the knockoffs/alternates for the TV series, whilst maintaining the new canon.

Yep, I can't see a new ST series working without the movie cast as they were UNLESS they did the "spinoff" as OM1 suggests.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
After dragging my ass about it for several months, I finally saw the movie and found that I loved it. Imagine my surprise at that.

I thought they gave some great examples of Kirk's maverick Earthbound life that showed that he was a daredevil who would indeed rush in where angels might fear to tread. I came away thinking that if he hadn't managed to jump free of that car before it went over, he would have had an "Oh, well" response and gone on to meet the Next Big Adventure.

Your mileage may vary, but that's my take on it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Trekkies are the most anal sci fi fans out there!

Yep, I can't see a new ST series working without the movie cast as they were UNLESS they did the "spinoff" as OM1 suggests.

Trek fans are a very anal bunch of fans. :tongue:. We pay closer attention to detail and continuity than most all other fans because there is SO MUCH canon to adhere to. There are breaks in it, but usually they are addressed later on (depending how much the fans whine). Paramount has shown extreme loyalty to the Trek franchise over the years and DOES respond to fan demands. This movie was accepted wholeheartedly by even the most die-hard Trek fans from way back (like me :)). They have managed to reboot the franchise whilst still keeping the present canon intact, albeit future canon from the new perspective. The only kink in that is Enterprise, which is alleged to have happened BEFORE the timeline in the new Trek. There was a mention of Capt Archer in the new Trek, but they best avoid talking too much about him or his Enterprise.

After dragging my ass about it for several months, I finally saw the movie and found that I loved it. Imagine my surprise at that.

I thought they gave some great examples of Kirk's maverick Earthbound life that showed that he was a daredevil who would indeed rush in where angels might fear to tread. I came away thinking that if he hadn't managed to jump free of that car before it went over, he would have had an "Oh, well" response and gone on to meet the Next Big Adventure.

Your mileage may vary, but that's my take on it.

Yep, loved that part. I didnt like the idea that Nokia tried to get product placement in that scene, but it wasnt a deal breaker. I loved seeing the shipyards and the Enterprise on the ground as opposed to in space dock. This is how Roddenberry envisioned the building of starships. They were built at the same Norfolk Shipyards as military warships of the 2960s were built, then towed into space by tugs (according to references).

I like the idea of an emotional young Spock, but why make the kissy/smoochy scenes with Uhura? I would much rather have seen him do those scenes with some generic extra he was fooling around with in the Academy than Uhura. It cheapens her IMO. And how is it that Spock allows such a public display from her? The tonsil-washing on the transporter pad would be akin to having a female lieutenant french kissing her commanding officer in front of her fellow officers as he went on an aweigh mission.

I dont like some of the details of the ship design. Too many unlikely/illogical design elements like the curvy hull and nacelles...too Apple for my taste. The design of the bridge was also illogical to me. It looked more like an internet cafe than a functional bridge.

I absolutely HATE the sounds used in the film for the shuttle engines (sounds like it was stolen from the Jetsons). I didnt like the swirly transporter effect, and I didnt like the sounds that the panels make on the ship or the background sounds on the bridge. Too gizmo-like. I hope they fix that. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Why the hell not:

Last edited by a moderator:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Anyways, can't find that music thread so I'll post here. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the movies, current movie franchise, it still had some pretty good music:

I also encountered this on pandora and thought it'd make a fantastic theme for a Trek show, the buildup around 2:00-2:41 mark would be a fantastic spot to put in the different Trek ships leaving their space docks. Then the crescendo from 2:42 onward would be an awesome spot to put a bunch of cosmic space phenomena with fading out scenes after each phenomena:

A lengthier version:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just read all the good stuff I said about this movie, and now my comments make me cringe. :shame:. After seeing Into Darkness and hating it, I watched 2009 and now I retroactively hate it because of what came later.

I do love the cast they have gathered. PERFECT (except Chekhov). But outside of that, I dont love much else about it. Orci and Kurtzman and Lindelof will be "writing" the third movie too, and I dont have much hope. These movies are driven by marketing and focus groups, not by science or even a sense of adventure. Transwarp beaming alone has ruined it. And Carol Marcus is now just a hot blonde who randomly stands around on space shuttles in her underwear for cheap teen titillation?

How does this:

carolmarcus.jpg

differ from this?:

ltjames.jpg

Then they changed the Klingons, they turned a virile, South Asian prince with the name Khan Noonien Singh into this:

kahn.jpg

:facepalm: I dont get the hoopla about Benedict Cumberbach. Why are EU audiences so in love with this actor? He over-acted every scene, and at no moment anywhere do I ever get the idea that this Kahn is dangerous or genetically augmented. And now, death is curable. If Spock ever dies, he will never have to worry about his Katra because McCoy or Starfleet Medical can just give him a shot of magic Kahn blood and he will come back to life.

I have lost interest in this Trek. Now I need to find something else more cerebral, but the pickings are slim. :(

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I just read all the good stuff I said about this movie, and now my comments make me cringe. :shame:. After seeing Into Darkness and hating it, I watched 2009 and now I retroactively hate it because of what came later.

I do love the cast they have gathered. PERFECT (except Chekhov). But outside of that, I dont love much else about it. Orci and Kurtzman and Lindelof will be "writing" the third movie too, and I dont have much hope. These movies are driven by marketing and focus groups, not by science or even a sense of adventure. Transwarp beaming alone has ruined it. And Carol Marcus is now just a hot blonde who randomly stands around on space shuttles in her underwear for cheap teen titillation?

How does this:

View attachment 29764

differ from this?:

View attachment 29765

Then they changed the Klingons, they turned a virile, South Asian prince with the name Khan Noonien Singh into this:

View attachment 29766

:facepalm: I dont get the hoopla about Benedict Cumberbach. Why are EU audiences so in love with this actor? He over-acted every scene, and at no moment anywhere do I ever get the idea that this Kahn is dangerous or genetically augmented. And now, death is curable. If Spock ever dies, he will never have to worry about his Katra because McCoy or Starfleet Medical can just give him a shot of magic Kahn blood and he will come back to life.

I have lost interest in this Trek. Now I need to find something else more cerebral, but the pickings are slim. :(

Excellent points! :encouragement:

I do like Cumberbach but you're right that he shouldn't have been in this role. The character of Khan requires someone more exotic. I'm not talking an Asian pretty boy but rather someone who at least isn't Anglo with a British accent. I don't care if this sounds racist because in my estimation making Khan an effete, white Brit completely drained the character of any sense of malevolence and danger. The name alone conjures up images of a rugged Mongolian warrior, not a white butler in Buckingham palace.

And yes, the casting for Chekov is horrible! Firing is too good for the person that made that casting choice.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Agree with you there Ape, I like B.C. as well. If they wanted to turn him into a Brit (which is puke-worthy enough as it is) they should have got James Nesbitt, preferably channeling whatever he did to play Jekyll, cause that cat be one KWAZY dude in that. (If you have never seen it, do it, cause it is AWESOME)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Excellent points! :encouragement:

I do like Cumberbach but you're right that he shouldn't have been in this role. The character of Khan requires someone more exotic. I'm not talking an Asian pretty boy but rather someone who at least isn't Anglo with a British accent. I don't care if this sounds racist because in my estimation making Khan an effete, white Brit completely drained the character of any sense of malevolence and danger. The name alone conjures up images of a rugged Mongolian warrior, not a white butler in Buckingham palace.

And yes, the casting for Chekov is horrible! Firing is too good for the person that made that casting choice.

They used the only actor who could have been believably Kahn in the 2009 movie as Captain Robau (Faran Tahir):

6a508d1c8cf357dfb05c59d92e569805bada8521.jpg

He should have been Kahn. His role in the 2009 movie was inconsequential. I think he would have made an excellent Kahn.

Last edited: