Star Trek Discovery SUCKS.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You have to give credit to Midnight’s Edge for doing the detective work to confirm what a lot of us suspected (including Doomcock and Nerdrotic); which is that STD is not Canon and it is made under the same license grant CBS provided Paramount to make the Kelvinverse films. Also Kurtzman’s little company is actually the Star Trek crew from Bad Robot relabeled.

It sounds like we have to root for Shari Redstone to succeed in undoing the CBS / Viacom split. It sounds like she has a higher view of Trek than Les Moonves did and this could lead to reunifying the licensing.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
LMFAO, read the comments below the video!

i didn' read them before. yes so much love for CBS hey..... < sarcasm>

i just used YT to post the vid, they have been playing it nearly non stop on commercial breaks on ROKU CHANNEL

Which has its own delicious irony as the CBS ad and the "broken dick (peyronies disease)" commercial usually play in tandem :SmileyLaughingTears:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/...ancelled-renewed-season-three-cbs-all-access/

View attachment 35092

The bottom part of that screencap, "Telly's Take" about them getting a renewal because it is the flagship...I disagree. The show is too expensive, and it is not performing it's mission as being a "flagship". I just watched that CBS All Access ad with Sonequa Martin-Green, and although she is gorgeous, the service is mediocre at best. It isn't even on Hulu level. All old CBS stuff that is very cool (some of it), but not worth subscribing to.

My take:

Star Trek Discovery will be canceled after the season has aired, and another project will either begin production towards the end of Season 2 or there will be a break and the next show we get could be Picard. Keep in mind, CBS All Access has been online since 2014, so any thoughts of it being a newbie getting it's legs is a weak argument for their under performance.

how is STD being received by the millennial demographic - you know, the generation that is clamoring for all of this shit "sci fi"?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If Doomcock is correct both STD and Picard have been put on hold by CBS:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If Doomcock is correct both STD and Picard have been put on hold by CBS:

I participated in Doomcock's Valentine's Day livestream, and I did watch this video. I am not surprised! Kurtzman cannot be allowed to do further damage to the Star Trek franchise in the interest of profit. I think that when Shari Redstone decides that she is ready to merge CBS and Viacom, it will happen with no resistance. It is almost a done deal:

https://www.thewrap.com/cbs-viacom-should-merge-early-2019-bob-bakish-ceo/

Excerpt:

A merger of CBS and sister company Viacom that has been hovering in corporate and legal limbo for roughly three years may now happen during the first six months of this year, industry experts say.

“I would be surprised if this merger doesn’t happen during the first half of the year, maybe even the first quarter,” CFRA Research analyst Tuna Amobi told TheWrap.

This would mean that there would be no more need to create 3/4 Star Trek, and we would not have to settle for Paramount's Star Trek "wonder boys" whose only wonder is how they got the job in the first place. :anim_59:. All the PR being published these past couple of weeks on CBS's shill sites and Trekmovie and a few others (without reader comment sections, of course), has not improved performance of STD or gotten a surge of interest among Star Trek fans. I tend to believe Doomcock's source, and it would make sense that none of the Kurtzman/Bad Robot related material would continue production if the plan is to kill all of NuTrek and replace it with the real thing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wikipedia is in on the shilling too! I was reading the Wikipedia article on Star Trek Discovery, and I scrolled down to the Critical Response section and noticed that they ONLY print the critic ratings and not the user ratings. Not many people weigh the critic reviews that heavily, and I wanted to add the user reviews so I went to edit mode on Wikipedia and this came up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Star_Trek:_Discovery&action=edit&section=16

===Critical response===
<!--AUDIENCE RECEPTION AND RATINGS: Do not include them! Wikipedia does not support user-generated content in its articles, and thus audience ratings cannot be included. Please refer to the talk page before proceeding to edit this section, and view the multiple discussions raised on the topic. No consensus has been formed to allow this article to differ from Wikipedia's guidelines and policies by including such content. Additions of audience ratings will be reverted.-->

The [[review aggregator]] website [[Rotten Tomatoes]] reported an 82% approval rating for the first season, with an average rating of 7.07/10 based on 65 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "Although it takes an episode to achieve liftoff, ''Star Trek: Discovery'' delivers a solid franchise installment for the next generation—boldly led by the charismatic Sonequa Martin-Green."<ref name="RT">{{cite web|url=https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/star_trek_discovery/s01|title=Star Trek: Discovery: Season 1|publisher=[[Rotten Tomatoes]]|accessdate=December 18, 2018}}</ref> [[Metacritic]], which uses a weighted average, assigned a score of 72 out of 100 based on 20 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".<ref name="MC">{{cite web|url=http://www.metacritic.com/tv/star-trek-discovery|title=''Star Trek: Discovery'' – Season 1 Reviews|publisher=[[Metacritic]]|accessdate=November 3, 2018}}</ref>

thumbsdown.png

So, Wikipedia has purposely written the article to shill for Star Trek Discovery without ever mentioning how terrible it is actually doing. It isn't just an opinion that it is failing, it is failing by real world metrics. As of this date. February 18, 2019, no Season 3 has been greenlit, and my feeling is that they will not be renewed for a Season 3 because of finances and under-performance and general disinterest. The bottom line is that it will be canceled.

Why are there media outlets who are willing to say anything just for a buck? Nobody was allowed to post pictures of Hall H at San Diego ComicCon when the STD panel was on. The reason is likely because the hall was more than half empty! I have a friend who went to the ComicCon, and I specifically asked him to go to that panel to tell me what was coming up. He said the hall was less than half full, and that there was no cheering from the convention goers, just the paid crew who was there with the STD group.

I would be willing to start a pool on the cancellation announcement date, and offer a prize, if anyone is interested. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Continuity mistakes...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
O dear god...I feel so bad for these actors. I have no ill will towards towards ANY of the actors or people involved in the production. My ire is focused on Kurtzman, the people responsible for creating the style and tone of the show, and the writers (particularly Heather Kadin and Akiva Goldsman). This was cute, but cringey.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I heard about this. The main goal for Kurtzman is to keep hold of Star Trek at all costs (or giveaways). Bad Robot has eyes on branded merchandise for their STD and Kelvin stuff, and they need a fanbase to be attached to their Star Trek or they will lose it back to CBS who can then give it to somebody else. He fails because his product is not Star Trek. It won't matter if STD is put on broadcast. I'm sure he thinks the failure is because people don't know about the show. He is wrong, it just sucks.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so, cbs has the first ep of s2 up on YT for free

i really,really tried to watch it

i couldn't make it past the point where Pike came aboard and they started talking about 'flashy uniforms'

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
they should just relaunch ENTERPRISE from where it left off..

at least we already know and have more or less accepted the faults in that--which were nothing compared to this shit show

it could have easily moved into the time period of this of this

anthologize, in a way, through the seasons. pick up a few yrs after the end with the federation/romulan war

then next season skip ahead to a new cast and crew and ship--still enterprise- to the time of this catastrophe they call entertainment

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
they should just relaunch ENTERPRISE from where it left off..

at least we already know and have more or less accepted the faults in that--which were nothing compared to this shit show

it could have easily moved into the time period of this of this

anthologize, in a way, through the seasons. pick up a few yrs after the end with the federation/romulan war

then next season skip ahead to a new cast and crew and ship--still enterprise- to the time of this catastrophe they call entertainment

That would be in the canon timeline, not the "Prime" timeline that STD lives in. So, we will probably not get it back until CBS and Viacom merge.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Really we have the Orville now - no need for a Trek fix as a result.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Really we have the Orville now - no need for a Trek fix as a result.

I am waiting for the first official Orville convention. The only flub I think Seth made with this awesome show is naming it The Orville. By doing that, the show is locked into the one ship, and it does not easily give way for a franchise about the other things in that universe. If it had been called Planetary Union: The Orville (wordy but flexible), we could get Planetary Union: The Krill War or Planetary Union: The Wrath of the Kaelons. The umbrella name would be Planetary Union or something similar like Space Journey: The Orville. Just some thoughts!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
re watched the first 4 eps of ENTERPRISE last night

i just had to confirm it for myself that it was in no way as offensive as ST:D is

in ENT we see familiar characters played by the same actor (Cochrane) and some core familiar aliens as they were (in appearance especially) with vulcans and klingons. then we later got some others from the TOS like the Orions and Andorians

yeah, ENT had issues--the 'tech before its time(in canon)' thing, and seeing aliens we never see again in past shows EVEN THOUGH we should has their planets and races have long been incorporated into the FED by the time of TOS

with STD we get an sudden urge to turn it off after 8 minutes, with ENTERPRISE- IMO (still after all these yrs) you want to watch more despite its faults

the actors in ENT have a big part in this as well. these STD actors all come off as snidey pricktitious jerks who dont seem to know how to act in an ensemble cast

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
"f" if i know :rolleyes:

i still thought--from what i read here-thatSTD was in the canon timeline?

they'll sort it eventually--like when we are 90

TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, ENT, all movies up to ST:11 = canon timeline (real Star Trek)

STD, Star Trek 2009, Into Darkness, Beyond = Prime timeline (fake Kelvin Star Trek)

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Don't pop the corn just yet because Season 3 may take a while. Starting on July 8th, in Toronto, if my favourite photo-blogger is to be believed.