• No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't see why you are upset that you need to pay pennies to see it on another platform? I thought you guys liked competition. Having multiple players is good for the economy. This is 7 bucks which is more than I spend on my Public transport. If it's a quality product, it's a steal.

Perhaps, but how does that relate to this new Star Trek series itself? We do not need competition in Star Trek. We do not need a new old version, because the original is already there. A quality product has yet to come out of the whole NuTrek thing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The music? What's wrong about the music? It's orchestral which is exactly what the original Star Trek was. Besides, you are basing this on something you've read from journalists who write stuff to antagonise the fanbase to generate more viewers. Like I said, it should be taken as a grain of salt. I know the direction is not what we wanted, but I am still optimistic about this series.

:facepalm: I base my opinions and statements on MULTIPLE sources both on the web and on the telephone. Unlike you seem to be doing, I do not simply take anyone's word for something. I am not going to swallow any excuse about how this show is going to be in the Prime universe, or that it is going back to it's roots when that is simply NOT what is happening. There is no Star Trek DNA in this show. None at all. We have seen the ship. It does not look like any Federation or Star Trek ship ever made, and that is a bad thing. We have seen the Klingons. They suck. And we have photos. What I take with a grain of salt (more like a half teaspoon) is any notion that this show will be remotely recognizable as Star Trek when it airs.

I also don't see anything wrong with having it CBS exclusive. It is THEIR platform, and THEIR franchise, so they can put it however they want it. They are selling the license to Netflix so that international people can watch it. How else do you suppose they promote their new platform? I am sure that it will make its way on netflix eventually after 2-3 seasons.

Netflix and Hulu does the same thing with their exclusive shows.

They are making a huge mistake by putting it on the CBS All Access in the US. If you have Netflix, why pay CBS All Access if they have nothing worth watching but Star Trek? How come you do not look at more than whatever source you are getting your Discovery news from? Just about 2/3 of the fanbase hates what they have seen so far regarding this show. I base that on blogs, forums, and fansites and comments on YouTube. Not journalists. And on a personal level, I have seen the photos, read the writeups on the cast additions, and seen the renditions of the ship. There is not going to be any "2 or three seasons" if it is not well received. Netflix has paid for the first season but it already has cold feet after Bryan Fuller left, and they too are seeing the vitriol online.

How can one see and read all of the material available for this show and still be clueless, "lets wait and see"? Makes no sense. If I smell bacon cooking, I fully expect to be served something with bacon in it. I am not understanding here....

So, let's try something different:

Why is it you are looking forward to the show? Not just "there is a new Star trek show", but relate it to what you know already, the photos, the ship, the buzz about the cast and concept. Stuff like that.

How can you be clueless? How is it you are hoping for this to be great and you are taking an approach like you do not know what to expect, when you have SO MUCH information to work with? Why do you not seem to know why the show has been delayed (concerns it will fail from CBS)?

Have you even seen these (please look at comments)?:

http://www.startrek.com/article/introducing-the-u-s-s-discovery

Bryan Fuller was fired because he wanted to make the show Star Trek, and the Kurtzman crew wanted to make a whole new show and change canon and the presentation style. Bryan's departure from Discovery was based in CREATIVE DIFFERENCES. That is a huge red flag right there, and you can't see it? Fuller is Star Trek DNA. Nobody else involved with Discovery is, including Roddenberry's son Rod who has NOTHING in his resume except basking in the fame of his father, and doing a couple of ST episodes in TNG. He is not an actor really, and he could not even land a role in Star Trek New Voyages. He is not a writer.

I am just thoroughly confused at your optimism, but you are entitled to it!

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Klingons in this thing look like the Xindi Reptilians more than anything else in particular.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Klingons in this thing look like the Xindi Reptilians more than anything else in particular.
They certainly do. And they are not even as scary looking! They took the ultimate cool Klingons with flowing hair away, and replaced them with scrotum headed reptilian-looking laughables that I just cannot take seriously.

More FYI:

CBS All Access will charge a fee AND they will have a significant number of commercials! All for the same cost as Netflix which does not have commercials? :) They are almost begging people to pirate it or buy VPN service to watch in other countries on their Netflix accounts.

Just LOL!

This is supposed to be a Klingon now?

New-Klingons-Geek_prime.png

Just no. Why the blue contacts? Why the metallic jewelry on the ridges? The whole skull shape looks unnatural. And is that Neelix' nose they have stuck on his face? :facepalm:

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually that's a JJ Verse Klingon. Remember, these are the "Klingons" of Star Trek Discovery:

star-trek-discovery-klingons-734x270.jpg

As bad as JJ verse Klingons look these look even worse..... :S

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually that's a JJ Verse Klingon. Remember, these are the "Klingons" of Star Trek Discovery:

View attachment 33356

As bad as JJ verse Klingons look these look even worse..... :S

Yes, you are right of course. But these Klingons are almost identical to those in STID. Remember, the "JJ Verse" is actually the Kurtzman/Orci Verse. :) Neither looks remotely close to the Star Trek Klingons. The new "Klingons" appear not to have any facial or cranial hair at all.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The music? What's wrong about the music? It's orchestral which is exactly what the original Star Trek was....

Yes, that is true so I retract that statement. :) The music they played for it recently is on point and does sound like Star Trek.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
As bad as the JJ (STID) ones look at least they look vaguely like living beings - that pic of ST Discovery makes them look like mutations of automobile tires. You could decapitate four of them and have wheels for your car :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
: Facepalm: I base my opinions and statements on MULTIPLE sources both on the web and on the telephone. Unlike you seem to be doing, I do not simply take anyone's word for something. I am not going to swallow any excuse about how this show is going to be in the Prime universe, or that it is going back to it's roots when that is simply NOT what is happening. There is no Star Trek DNA in this show. None at all. We have seen the ship. It does not look like any Federation or Star Trek ship ever made, and that is a bad thing. We have seen the Klingons. They suck. And we have photos. What I take with a grain of salt (more like a half teaspoon) is any notion that this show will be remotely recognizable as Star Trek when it airs.

But those multiple sources get their news from the same source. Star Trek discovery has gone through a lot of changes. I know that Bryan has left the show and it's a shame that he left, but we have only seem glimpses of the new series. We do not know the synopsis because it's still at its preliminary stages and just going through post productions. CBS does care otherwise, they wouldn't be taking their time to have a premiere date to which we still don't have one. Unlike the movie, it has no set date still which should be seen that they want to get this done properly.
They are making a huge mistake by putting it on the CBS All Access in the US. If you have Netflix, why pay CBS All Access if they have nothing worth watching but Star Trek?

Why is it a mistake to put it on THEIR platform? Star Trek is their Intellectual property and this is their strategy to promote their new show on a platform. They are selling it a platform/product launch. We get Star Trek through netflix. Netflix did it with theirs. At the moment, they cannot do what netflix has done because it does not provide the platform with a comparative advantage.

How come you do not look at more than whatever source you are getting your Discovery news from? Just about 2/3 of the fanbase hates what they have seen so far regarding this show. I base that on blogs, forums, and fansites and comments on YouTube. Not journalists. And on a personal level, I have seen the photos, read the writeups on the cast additions, and seen the renditions of the ship. There is not going to be any "2 or three seasons" if it is not well received. Netflix has paid for the first season but it already has cold feet after Bryan Fuller left, and they too are seeing the vitriol online.

Because it's easy to piss off Star Trek and Stargate fans. It's like shitty faux news. What's makes you click an article. Star Trek Discovery News or Uncertainty over Discovery's future as no set date for show? We are very passionate about this and the writers know this. People also have a preconceived bias from what they have read and aren't viewing this objectively. Everyone that's bashing it is basing it from past events without having any facts in front of them. I realize that it paints a very thin picture on Star Trek with Bryan not being there, but I think that the series will be popular. It will succeed and I am confident that the series will create its own path. Most of what people are upset about is basically carrying forward from their preconceived bias that they left off from their previous banter. Trust me, I have been there, done that. Fans carry forward their prejudices. I am not saying that they are wrong, but they are not correct 50% of the time either. Let's wait and see.

How can one see and read all of the material available for this show and still be clueless, "lets wait and see"? Makes no sense. If I smell bacon cooking, I fully expect to be served something with bacon in it. I am not understanding here....

Have you actually seen the scripts yourself? Have you actually visited the sets yourself?

Why is it you are looking forward to the show? Not just "there is a new Star trek show", but relate it to what you know already, the photos, the ship, the buzz about the cast and concept. Stuff like that.

I am actually curious because of how tight lipped they are about the series. It brings it with it a mystery. I am confident that they'll do something good with the series.
How can you be clueless? How is it you are hoping for this to be great and you are taking an approach like you do not know what to expect, when you have SO MUCH information to work with? Why do you not seem to know why the show has been delayed (concerns it will fail from CBS)?

Have you even seen these (please look at comments)?:

http://www.startrek.com/article/introducing-the-u-s-s-discovery

I already have read those comments. Like the internet, it allows people to vent their pointless frustration. Those comments are also on VERY old information. If you saw the videos I posted in the past to show that the series has gone into full production, it has changed a lot since that fugly ass design of a starship.
I have to ask you about Star Trek: Discovery. It’s been delayed a bit, and you parted ways with Bryan Fuller. You still haven’t announced a premiere date, or even a launch window. Where is that right now? And how big of deal is that going to be?
It’s going great, I’ve actually been up there [to the set]. It is, you know, phenomenal. It is huge. And we’re very excited about the content, the creators, the actors, all coming together. As you said, we’re not tied to any specific release date. It’ll be there when we’re ready to do it, and when we feel it’s in a great place. We’re not worried about anything here. We’re excited, and we’ll have more specifics as we get closer to what will likely be the release dates.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/cbs-all-access-good-fight-star-trek.html
Bryan Fuller was fired because he wanted to make the show Star Trek, and the Kurtzman crew wanted to make a whole new show and change canon and the presentation style. Bryan's departure from Discovery was based in CREATIVE DIFFERENCES. That is a huge red flag right there, and you can't see it? Fuller is Star Trek DNA. Nobody else involved with Discovery is, including Roddenberry's son Rod who has NOTHING in his resume except basking in the fame of his father, and doing a couple of ST episodes in TNG. He is not an actor really, and he could not even land a role in Star Trek New Voyages. He is not a writer.

I am just thoroughly confused at your optimism, but you are entitled to it!
Bryan Left. He did not get fired. Bryan also gave the script to CBS who own the franchise.He left because the delay was clashing with other projects he had planned for so naturally if he is not able to do shit full or at all, he won't do it.

Turbulence at warp speed
After months of serving as the showrunner and primary spokesperson for Star Trek: Discovery, Fuller announced plans to step down from his lead role on the creative team in October 2016 after preproduction delays pushed back the show’s production schedule and put it into conflict with Fuller’s other projects.

Fuller’s departure was initially reported by Variety, with Fuller himself later indicating that fellow executive producers Berg and Harberts would take over in the captain’s chair.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/star-trek-tv-series-info/

I am being optimistic because unlike you I want this series to succeed and I know it will succeed unlike other crap that is on. I can't stand to watch sci-fi anymore because the genre has been butchered to and slaughtered and whatever meaning it has developed, it puts arthur c clarke/isac asimov to shame. I have zero interest in expanse/and whatever watered down bullshit Hollywood puts out, but when my gut feeling says that this show might actually be good, I tend to follow it. I have ZERO, jacksquat interest in "Star Wars" even though they share a similar setting. I don't find the stories of Star Wars interesting. I am also basing my opinion on facts not what's written by journalists.

Early rumors suggested that the series will be an anthology project of some sort, akin to American Horror Story or Fargo, with each season set in a different point in the Star Trek timeline and featuring different characters and cast members.

The latest news also confirms what CBS has made clear since the beginning: the series won’t be a spinoff of Star Trek Beyond and the rebooted franchise, so don’t expect any Marvel-style cinematic tie-ins with the rebooted film franchise.

Baseless rumours often start a controversy. It's classic trolling. It's how Hillary Lost. Often the news were fake news based on lies/rumours/speculations without any factual data/fact to back it up from the star themselves. This is why I would ban the media all together. They are the reason why we have so much nonsense in this world.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
But those multiple sources get their news from the same source. Star Trek discovery has gone through a lot of changes. I know that Bryan has left the show and it's a shame that he left, but we have only seem glimpses of the new series. We do not know the synopsis because it's still at its preliminary stages and just going through post productions. CBS does care otherwise, they wouldn't be taking their time to have a premiere date to which we still don't have one. Unlike the movie, it has no set date still which should be seen that they want to get this done properly.

Why is it a mistake to put it on THEIR platform? Star Trek is their Intellectual property and this is their strategy to promote their new show on a platform. They are selling it a platform/product launch. We get Star Trek through netflix. Netflix did it with theirs. At the moment, they cannot do what netflix has done because it does not provide the platform with a comparative advantage.

Because it's easy to piss off Star Trek and Stargate fans. It's like shitty faux news. What's makes you click an article. Star Trek Discovery News or Uncertainty over Discovery's future as no set date for show? We are very passionate about this and the writers know this. People also have a preconceived bias from what they have read and aren't viewing this objectively. Everyone that's bashing it is basing it from past events without having any facts in front of them. I realize that it paints a very thin picture on Star Trek with Bryan not being there, but I think that the series will be popular. It will succeed and I am confident that the series will create its own path. Most of what people are upset about is basically carrying forward from their preconceived bias that they left off from their previous banter. Trust me, I have been there, done that. Fans carry forward their prejudices. I am not saying that they are wrong, but they are not correct 50% of the time either. Let's wait and see.

Have you actually seen the scripts yourself? Have you actually visited the sets yourself?

I am actually curious because of how tight lipped they are about the series. It brings it with it a mystery. I am confident that they'll do something good with the series.

I already have read those comments. Like the internet, it allows people to vent their pointless frustration. Those comments are also on VERY old information. If you saw the videos I posted in the past to show that the series has gone into full production, it has changed a lot since that fugly ass design of a starship.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/cbs-all-access-good-fight-star-trek.html

Bryan Left. He did not get fired. Bryan also gave the script to CBS who own the franchise.He left because the delay was clashing with other projects he had planned for so naturally if he is not able to do shit full or at all, he won't do it.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/star-trek-tv-series-info/

I am being optimistic because unlike you I want this series to succeed and I know it will succeed unlike other crap that is on. I can't stand to watch sci-fi anymore because the genre has been butchered to and slaughtered and whatever meaning it has developed, it puts arthur c clarke/isac asimov to shame. I have zero interest in expanse/and whatever watered down bullshit Hollywood puts out, but when my gut feeling says that this show might actually be good, I tend to follow it. I have ZERO, jacksquat interest in "Star Wars" even though they share a similar setting. I don't find the stories of Star Wars interesting. I am also basing my opinion on facts not what's written by journalists.

Baseless rumours often start a controversy. It's classic trolling. It's how Hillary Lost. Often the news were fake news based on lies/rumours/speculations without any factual data/fact to back it up from the star themselves. This is why I would ban the media all together. They are the reason why we have so much nonsense in this world.

Fair enough. :) Good, well thought out response. My only disagreement is with Bryan Fuller's reason for departure. My sources say he was fired because he did not want to do what Kurtzman's team wanted him to do. If you know anything about Bryan Fuller, you would know that his dream of recent times was to head a new Star Trek series. His Trek vision, even though true to Star Trek was not in line with what they want to do with this show so he was given an ultimatum of "get with the program or leave". But I want to find that in print before I stand behind that.

I had some solid connections within the Industry until about a year ago, and now not so much. :( I was doing a lot of work on MGM properties and over at Paramount in Century City. I will do some sleuthing.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Fair enough. :) Good, well thought out response. My only disagreement is with Bryan Fuller's reason for departure. My sources say he was fired because he did not want to do what Kurtzman's team wanted him to do. If you know anything about Bryan Fuller, you would know that his dream of recent times was to head a new Star Trek series. His Trek vision, even though true to Star Trek was not in line with what they want to do with this show so he was given an ultimatum of "get with the program or leave". But I want to find that in print before I stand behind that.

I had some solid connections within the Industry until about a year ago, and now not so much. :( I was doing a lot of work on MGM properties and over at Paramount in Century City. I will do some sleuthing.
What are your sources please? I like to know.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't see why you are upset that you need to pay pennies to see it on another platform? I thought you guys liked competition. Having multiple players is good for the economy. This is 7 bucks which is more than I spend on my Public transport. If it's a quality product, it's a steal.

in regards to the potential quality of the show and whether it is Trek or not; my opinion on being double tapped as a NFlix (who are the one's paying for it-so it isn't real competition-NF is paying CBS to compete with it) subscriber to watch the show isn't what I am referring to

but rather how CBS is using every Trek fan's so wanting a new series and the hype built up to get subscribers to their new service

so, when you hear the TPTB's using phrases like "its going to be Gene's Trek; we are going to honor his memory" blah,blah-those are nothing but buzz phrases all compact and ready to re-tweet

the show will serve its purpose; it will get CBS the subscriber's they need to call it a victory then, when ppl see the show for what it is, CBS will blame the failure on anyone other then themselves and their need for action,sex and issues relevant to today's society (like lesbian starship officers, I am sure there will be some transgenders as well) forced into the script

they will call it a 'creative failure' or some such thing--the PR release for its cancellation is probably already in Les Moonves' desk

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
in regards to the potential quality of the show and whether it is Trek or not; my opinion on being double tapped as a NFlix (who are the one's paying for it-so it isn't real competition-NF is paying CBS to compete with it) subscriber to watch the show isn't what I am referring to

but rather how CBS is using every Trek fan's so wanting a new series and the hype built up to get subscribers to their new service

so, when you hear the TPTB's using phrases like "its going to be Gene's Trek; we are going to honor his memory" blah,blah-those are nothing but buzz phrases all compact and ready to re-tweet

the show will serve its purpose; it will get CBS the subscriber's they need to call it a victory then, when ppl see the show for what it is, CBS will blame the failure on anyone other then themselves and their need for action,sex and issues relevant to today's society (like lesbian starship officers, I am sure there will be some transgenders as well) forced into the script

they will call it a 'creative failure' or some such thing--the PR release for its cancellation is probably already in Les Moonves' desk

I just gave you a big cyber bear hug for this post. :) PRECISELY what will happen.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

been there, that was the first thing they reminded me of!

hey! let's give them the bennie of the doubt for a minute

maybe ( a big one! )

tptb's are going to answer why we don't see the Xindi rept's in the "future" Treks (TOS,TNG) is BECAUSE they joined the Klingon empire en masse to fight Earth on behalf of the empire!

Now THAT just might be interesting and entertaining and probably exactly the reason why we won't see anything of the sort!!! :(

I am really really hoping--for the benefit of trek if nothing else--that this isn't another recreation of the Klingon race! that the creatures we see are the xindi or at least some subservient subject soldier race of the Klingons

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Star Trek: Discovery - Michael Dorn turned down a role
Apparently, he was offered a role in the show: Dorn was approached to play an ancestor of Worf for the second time, following his cameo in The Undiscovered Country.

This makes a certain degree of sense, given that Discovery takes place ages before Worf's debut. It's set prior to Star Trek: The Original Series. But Dorn turned the role down.

Dorn himself (through a publicist) has told Trek Movie that he had "a couple of conversations with producers [of Discovery] last summer", but they did not lead to anything, and there are "no plans for him to appear at this time."

Matt Palm, a writer for the Orlando Sentinel, then sent this info to Trek Movie, claiming it's an inside scoop which Dorn revealed at a theatre event...

[There] had been interest expressed, but [Dorn] was not offered enough money. He said they had offered him less than 1 percent of what he made in his last contract as Worf.
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/star...rek-discovery-michael-dorn-turned-down-a-role

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Casts Rainn Wilson as Original Series Character Harry Mudd

Star Trek: Discovery” has cast “The Office” alum Rainn Wilson in the role of Harry Mudd, Variety has learned. It is unknown how many episodes Wilson will appear in at this time.

Mudd was a charismatic interstellar con man who had repeated run-ins with the crew of the Enterprise in the original “Star Trek.” The character, who was first played by Roger C. Carmel, also appeared in an episode of “Star Trek: The Animated Series.”

https://variety.com/2017/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-rainn-wilson-harry-mudd-1202019986/

heisenberg

Earl Grey

It's a sales pitch but everyone has that. People don't like being alienated but I am confident that they won't fuck things up. If CBS did give it on netflix, it doesn't promote their platform which as you say does not have a lot of titles. It's their franchise. They have no launch or standout title that promotes their platform. CBS would also have to pay an enormous rent fee to have it on netflix for the rest of the world and to include the US that would further put a hole in their budget.

This is why Star trek is so amazing and beats hand down Star Wars. It has had way more POSITIVE influence on humanity. Discovery reference at 12:36. Oh man, William Shatner, hilarious as always.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So if Dorn had accepted the role as a worf ancestor, wonder how they were planning on reconciling the look of their Klingons with the way we know Worf looks (let alone the millions of other Klingons)?

unless of course, my idea that those 'klingons' pictured are either a typo of the poster or they are a soldier race of the Empire

And, just HOW OLD is Mr Mudd supposed to be by the time we get to TOS time?

isn't this series set closer to ENTERPRISE then TOS?

BTW -ref the SW's vs ST comparisons (really? going 'there' again?)

I do like Apples and Oranges :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
So if Dorn had accepted the role as a worf ancestor, wonder how they were planning on reconciling the look of their Klingons with the way we know Worf looks (let alone the millions of other Klingons)?

unless of course, my idea that those 'klingons' pictured are either a typo of the poster or they are a soldier race of the Empire

Yeah, I don't know why that idiot was approached. I am actually glad he is not in discovery. To be frank, his character profile was quite boring/dry.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Michael Dorn? Really? :rolleye0014: Who was he going to be in Discovery? The Vulcans are very long lived, but not necessarily the Klingons. Who else could he be than Worf? It would be pointless to have him in the show and not be Worf. Anyway, no need to fret since he turned it down.

They want CREDIBILITY within the Trek continuum. They want desperately to tie in with existing canon, but the thing is that they simply do not understand Trek. Not Kurtzman, or any of the people he is working with have a clue how to do Star Trek. Bryan Fuller was their chance, but they clashed because his guidance was taking Discovery down the path that leads to good Star Trek and Kurtzman was not wanting that or understanding it. Everything about Kurtzman is a turnoff to me. This is the guy who wrote for Xena and Hercules. And how did he get those b-list gigs? He married the daughter of Nick Counter who was the President of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers from 1982 thru 2009. Pure nepotism. He is a scruffy hipster with some golden strings he can pull when needed.

There is just not much to get me excited about Discovery. Nothing I have seen or heard is really doing anything for me. I couldn't care less if it's delayed or not.