Star Trek Continues is back! Come not between the dragons

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Not bad. Their Spock is still their weak point as he still does not have the mannerisms and speech cadence mastered. But the rest of the cast (including Gigi Edgely - Chianna from Farscape - as a crew member at the center of things) was excellent. Nice visuals and a good if somewhat simplistic story.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Not bad. Their Spock is still their weak point as he still does not have the mannerisms and speech cadence mastered. But the rest of the cast (including Gigi Edgely - Chianna from Farscape - as a crew member at the center of things) was excellent. Nice visuals and a good if somewhat simplistic story.

I will watch this tonight! I have to say, I am not getting your Spock hate for the Spock in STC as opposed to the other Spock (Bruiser Spock) in STNV. You speak of cadence and mannerisms, and I agree they are different than the STC Kirk and Scotty and Uhura who are all pretty faithful renditions of their TOS characters. But this Spock in STC is a better actor to me. He obviously has more experience and training than Bruiser Spock and I prefer him by a lot over Bruiser. In the STC episode "The Fairest of them All" (continuation of Mirror Mirror), this Spock pulled off the roles of Evil Spock and Good Spock and also interacted with Marlena Moreau far more extensively than the original Nimoy Spock. Bruiser Spock would not have been able to pull it off IMO.

Besides Spock, STNV has ruined their balance with Kid Kirk and Miscast McCoy and Where Is Uhura (she is never in it anymore), and they keep switching her up. I have seen 4 Uhuras, and the newest one is not even black. :) They also don't have a Sulu or Chekhov worth remembering. Having the best looking Spock but that Spock not being the best actor and playing against Kid Kirk is not worth the tradeoff IMO. With their new Kirk, STNV has become unappealing.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I will watch this tonight! I have to say, I am not getting your Spock hate for the Spock in STC as opposed to the other Spock (Bruiser Spock) in STNV. You speak of cadence and mannerisms, and I agree they are different than the STC Kirk and Scotty and Uhura who are all pretty faithful renditions of their TOS characters. But this Spock in STC is a better actor to me. He obviously has more experience and training than Bruiser Spock and I prefer him by a lot over Bruiser. In the STC episode "The Fairest of them All" (continuation of Mirror Mirror), this Spock pulled off the roles of Evil Spock and Good Spock and also interacted with Marlena Moreau far more extensively than the original Nimoy Spock. Bruiser Spock would not have been able to pull it off IMO.

Besides Spock, STNV has ruined their balance with Kid Kirk and Miscast McCoy and Where Is Uhura (she is never in it anymore), and they keep switching her up. I have seen 4 Uhuras, and the newest one is not even black. :) They also don't have a Sulu or Chekhov worth remembering. Having the best looking Spock but that Spock not being the best actor and playing against Kid Kirk is not worth the tradeoff IMO. With their new Kirk, STNV has become unappealing.

I would point out that you agreed with me in other threads that while STC Spock looks the part more Bruiser Spock actually has the cadence and mannerisms down better. And I heartily agree that the NV cast as a whole is appalling. It's a pity as when they were Phase II they were hitting on most all cylinders. It's a pity Bruiser Spock is stuck with the goofy glue gang over there.

Regarding STC, like I said mostly they have the right cast. Their Spock may be missing on getting the speech cadence and such right but their Kirk is perfect, as is their Scotty. They even have a passable McCoy, and a good Sulu (Grant Imahara from Mythbusters) to boot. Right now, STC is the Trek fan fiction standard bearer.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I would point out that you agreed with me in other threads that while STC Spock looks the part more Bruiser Spock actually has the cadence and mannerisms down better. And I heartily agree that the NV cast as a whole is appalling. It's a pity as when they were Phase II they were hitting on most all cylinders. It's a pity Bruiser Spock is stuck with the goofy glue gang over there.

Actually, Bruiser Spock is just as I agreed, he does have the cadence, and the mannerisms down pat, as well as the standing postures. He does not, however have the trademark eyebrow raise over STC Spock. :). STC Spock (Todd Haberkorn) is a better trained, more experienced actor I believe. Besides that, the chemistry he has with Vic Migonona is clear and present in STC, and it is missing in STNV

Regarding STC, like I said mostly they have the right cast. Their Spock may be missing on getting the speech cadence and such right but their Kirk is perfect, as is their Scotty. They even have a passable McCoy, and a good Sulu (Grant Imahara from Mythbusters) to boot. Right now, STC is the Trek fan fiction standard bearer.

They also have the best Uhura, and they successfully added the only live portrayed Ship's Counselor in the TOS timeline as a main cast member. As far as the three years remaining in the original five year mission, that is more than the actual show got. :). It belongs to STNV and STC, and they are giving us excellent Trek!

Thanks for this announcement! I am going to watch it right now. :)

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I wish they would move STC forward in time to post Wrath of Khan. I'm getting tired of seeing a starship being run with plastic knobs and colored lights and a crew outfitted with pajama tops.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
OMG! Just finished watching this episode.

So ... much ... corn ...

93e9b12a31f5e6f77a79878ea114ba3a.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So OM did you watch it yet?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So OM did you watch it yet?

I started watching it and then my neighbor came over about halfway through and I did not finish it. I am going to watch it from the beginning again. I got to the part where they were using the Universal Translator in the Lt's cabin with that thing. Watching it now again.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I liked it. I also agree that the story was corny, but it was totally and thoroughly TOS Trek nonetheless. It's actually BETTER than the original TOS.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wish they would move STC forward in time to post Wrath of Khan. I'm getting tired of seeing a starship being run with plastic knobs and colored lights and a crew outfitted with pajama tops.

Alas, they have thousands invested in those standing sets of the Enterprise, plus they are SUPER faithful to the original TOS look and standards. The great thing is that they could indeed move forward into that period because it is part of the TOS continuum.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They won't move forward though, at least not until they complete the five year mission.