Star Trek Beyond Thoughts

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I understand that. But if in the Prime universe in a series episode the ship in question is voluntarily flying around in the atmosphere then no matter what a website says about them canonically they can fly in the atmosphere. Ergo, the NX is atmosphere flight capable so Beyond having an NX do it is not outside canon.

Now Into Darkness having the ENTIRE Enterprise acting like a submarine? That tripped my canon sensor too!

Well, that is a very loose interpretation of "flight" for a starship isn't it? Lets go further and say also that any object in space which enters an atmosphere is capable of flight, even if it is plummeting to the ground. It's still flying through the atmosphere! The saucer section of the Enterprise D in Generations "flew" to the ground in a crash landing in the movie. So, Galaxy class starship saucer sections can all "fly"? :)

Im just not so willing to let all that stuff slide through and say nothing about it. That does not make me right or anything, just a purist. :) Technically, the saucer separation in TNG was a Johnny come Lately. That saucer should have been able to land on a planet like Roddenberry himself originally intended. He was in charge still, when the first saucer separation scene happened in TNG, and he did not take the opportunity.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Beastie Boys was the shizzle. Best white hiphop of all time.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Beasties! But I just don't see them being great for Star Trek. Did you know Rhianna did a song for this movie too (Sledgehammer)? For Guardians of the Galaxy...yes. Star trek? Nah. But JJ trek, you can bring on Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Beastie Boyz, Eminem, Public Enemy, why not? Lets see Spock or Kirk rockin some skinny jeans. Show us Uhura's tramp stamp!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Um, the NX Enterprise is actually flying in the atmosphere not crashing both times. In fact in Storm Front it is even doing aerobatics as it duels the laser armed Stukas.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Um, the NX Enterprise is actually flying in the atmosphere not crashing both times. In fact in Storm Front it is even doing aerobatics as it duels the laser armed Stukas.

Okay, but that was season 4 in Enterprise when they knew they were on their way to cancellation...and it was Enterprise (already somewhat rejected by the fanbase when it was airing). Im not talking about exceptions. I am talking about ships designed for atmospheric flight vs those which are not (but can in a pinch). In TOS the Enterprise dropped low enough to be seen by a plane. The NX class is not designed as an atmospheric ship. I am not saying it could not fly in the atmosphere, but it was not designed to.

One of the reasons the 1701 Enterprise has the nacelles in an upwards V configuration is because Roddenberry wanted the ship to be obviously a spacefaring ship and not a "rocket" type ship or like any ship seen in scifi to that time. If I did not know that, I might be less picky. :) Enterprise was shoehorned into the prequel era, awkwardly at that.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Okay, after thinking for a while on the whole "is Star Trek Beyond Trek"? question, here is where I am at.

If this film can be considered by itself, in isolation from the other two, it probably would qualify as Trek - albeit one of the less deep episodes that all the series had.

On the other hand, if it is considered as part of the "Kelvinverse" trilogy then it obviously is not Trek - there is just too much baggage especially from Into Darkness.

Either way this is a good film. Simon Pegg should be applauded as should Justin Lin. Abrams, Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof by their own admissions left the franchise in a mess. Pegg and Lin managed to work that mess into a good, solid sci-fi adventure. I hope they get to do another Trek film, and in that one they are allowed to do some sort of time shift to wipe out the "JJ verse" nonsense officially instead of ignoring it like they had to do here.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Okay, after thinking for a while on the whole "is Star Trek Beyond Trek"? question, here is where I am at.

If this film can be considered by itself, in isolation from the other two, it probably would qualify as Trek - albeit one of the less deep episodes that all the series had.

On the other hand, if it is considered as part of the "Kelvinverse" trilogy then it obviously is not Trek - there is just too much baggage especially from Into Darkness.

Either way this is a good film. Simon Pegg should be applauded as should Justin Lin. Abrams, Orci, Kurtzman and Lindelof by their own admissions left the franchise in a mess. Pegg and Lin managed to work that mess into a good, solid sci-fi adventure. I hope they get to do another Trek film, and in that one they are allowed to do some sort of time shift to wipe out the "JJ verse" nonsense officially instead of ignoring it like they had to do here.

interesting (we really need an interesting (as well as the current informative) rating) - still not sure if I want to see it but you have intrigued me joelist. :D you have also gotten me re-interested in the last ship. ;)