Star Trek Beyond' for Cinerama-Like Barco Escape

heisenberg

Earl Grey
What the fuck?

Moviegoers will get a panoramic view of the Enterprise this summer on Cinerama-like Barco Escape theatrical screens.

Unknown.jpg

This is what it will look like for those who don't know this tech. For me this looks really messed up

devin-super-tramp-barco-escape.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/star-trek-beyond-will-be-882334

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What the fuck?

Unknown.jpg

This is what it will look like for those who don't know this tech. For me this looks really messed up

devin-super-tramp-barco-escape.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/star-trek-beyond-will-be-882334

Is somebody reminiscing about Disneyland's Grand Canyon panorama experience? :facepalm:. WHY would anyone want to be forced to follow three screens? I don't want this at all, or 4D active seats. Is this desperation on the theater level? I want to know how they manage to make a billion on a movie when I no longer see lines outside of theaters and the theaters often show to empty seats?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Is somebody reminiscing about Disneyland's Grand Canyon panorama experience? :facepalm:. WHY would anyone want to be forced to follow three screens? I don't want this at all, or 4D active seats. Is this desperation on the theater level? I want to know how they manage to make a billion on a movie when I no longer see lines outside of theaters and the theaters often show to empty seats?
Well, here people still queue up to see movies

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why not use a curved screen? The latest screens are paper thin and can be literally rolled up.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/lg-s-see-through-rollable-1337718221365302.html

That is just idiotic.

It seems like the theaters are trying to get a jump on some sort of "immersive" experience to distinguish the theater experience from the home theater/movie theater experience. It is not working and it will not work. The 4D active seats is in the same category of gimmick that this ridiculous idea is.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
It seems like the theaters are trying to get a jump on some sort of "immersive" experience to distinguish the theater experience from the home theater/movie theater experience. It is not working and it will not work. The 4D active seats is in the same category of gimmick that this ridiculous idea is.

When I was a kid back in the 80s, the local amusement park was putting on display this new rocket ride in the parking lot at the mall. It was a rocket mounted onto hydraulics with seats inside and a screen at the front. When the hatch closed, a video would display at the front which looked like the outside parking lot and the rocket would take off.

The hydraulics would move and tilt the rocket synchronously to the video and it felt so realistic at the time. You really felt like you were leaving the Earth and exploring some strange worlds, sometimes battling aliens, sometimes with monsters. The ride would last anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the adventure being played.

Damn I miss that ride! :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When I was a kid back in the 80s, the local amusement park was putting on display this new rocket ride in the parking lot at the mall. It was a rocket mounted onto hydraulics with seats inside and a screen at the front. When the hatch closed, a video would display at the front which looked like the outside parking lot and the rocket would take off.

The hydraulics would move and tilt the rocket synchronously to the video and it felt so realistic at the time. You really felt like you were leaving the Earth and exploring some strange worlds, sometimes battling aliens, sometimes with monsters. The ride would last anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the adventure being played.

Damn I miss that ride! :icon_lol:

LOL! Out here, Disney had several versions of this concept starting first with The Grand Canyon. It was a huge room and about 100 people could fit in there. There were curved screens which went around the entire room, and it showed a panorama of the Grand Canyon...that was the 1960s. Then they closed the thing and made it into Mission to Mars where you are inside of a "shuttle" room and the whole room would gyrate, move and lurch as you "flew" over Mars and hit turbulence, etc. This ride is still running at Epcot Center in Fla. Yeah it did feel real! But it was a ride, not a movie.

Perhaps the theaters should convert to mini amusement parks and just have one or two rides in there? :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
hundreds. There are small ones,large ones as well as outdoor ones.
Wow. And you still get lines? I forgot...pirating is just about impossible in Australia. :) Here, many home setups rival actual theaters (in experience).

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Wow. And you still get lines? I forgot...pirating is just about impossible in Australia. :) Here, many home setups rival actual theaters (in experience).

Well, there are a few people who think that we are the worst pirates ever :lol: but I don't resort to such things. I either watch it or don't watch it or wait for it to comeout on dvd/bluray. Though, if you see how backwards things are here, there is no surprise that people are driven to that, however, we still spend an awful amount on movies - it's crazy.

Last edited: