Star Trek: Axanar

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It looks interesting but I am less sure on canonicity. The whole Four Years War seems to come from an old FASA roleplaying game as opposed to the "official" canon.

That is unclear. But I did find this reference to the Battle of Axanar:

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Axanar

According to that, this might have been a four year war including the battle. The war with the Klingons is consistent, but then the Wiki says that the Federation was in a "cold war" with them at that time. I give them a slide on it, because it was just before Kirk and that is when the Constitution Class starships came online. Kirk commanded one (the NCC-1701 Enterprise). Trek resources have added the Ares class ship to the fleet catalog.

I am not sure if you caught it, but in the short movie, they mentioned how the Andorians gave the Federation their phaser technology. Prior to that (Archer's ship and other Federation starships) used "phase cannons". They are shown in this clip too. The Constitution Class did not have phase cannons.

See, none of this stuff is relevant in NuTrek. :( We do not even know what class the new Enterprise is. We saw the USS Kelvin, and the new ship in STID, but there is no rhyme or reason to them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I heard this story about a writer pitching a new Star Trek television series to Paramount on NPR this afternoon.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/12/42113...me-one-enterprising-star-trek-fans-big-chance

Any of the rebooters need to get one thing straight: The UNIVERSE of Star Trek cannot be rebooted. Why even try that? They did not reboot the Star Wars universe just to let Abrams play in the sandbox. What he did to Star Trek was reboot the entire universe, and I find that unacceptable. They did not reboot the Dr Who universe, even if they rebooted the series and it's characters.

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Any of the rebooters need to get one thing straight: The UNIVERSE of Star Trek cannot be rebooted. Why even try that? They did not reboot the Star wars universe just to let Abrams play in the sandbox. What he did to Star trek was reboot the entire universe, and I find that unacceptable. They did not reboot the Dr Who universe, even if they rebooted the series and it's characters.

The cited story was about a proposed series that will be set 200 years after TOS. Next Generation was about 75 years after TOS. It will not be a reboot.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The cited story was about a proposed series that will be set 200 years after TOS. Next Generation was about 75 years after TOS. It will not be a reboot.

200 years? That puts it past Voyager. I dunno....

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm hopeful but cautious about Axanar.

On the one hand some of the Phase II episodes have been decently good. On the other hand another Trek fan film "Of Gods and Men" was just laughably bad. So we'll see.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I heard this story about a writer pitching a new Star Trek television series to Paramount on NPR this afternoon.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/12/42113...me-one-enterprising-star-trek-fans-big-chance

I like this a lot. :) Take Trek into the Andromeda Galaxy? AWESOME! Everything can be new then. They can even make the Federation have transwarp technology (stolen from the Borg?) to get to Andromeda. They can have whole new ships, and the Federation and Earth would be too far away to be able to just get them out of jams every time something happens. In the MW Galaxy, they just have to call up Starfleet and have an armada sent out to help. This could be awesome!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm hopeful but cautious about Axanar.

On the one hand some of the Phase II episodes have been decently good. On the other hand another Trek fan film "Of Gods and Men" was just laughably bad. So we'll see.

There are two exceptionally good fan productions of TOS: Phase II and Star Trek New Voyages. Evidently, the two productions are now sharing some resources (sets and post production), but they are two different productions with their own separate TOS-era characters. New Voyages has the money. I have not seen a horrible one yet from those two productions. "Of Gods and Men" was a one off, not associated with Phase II or STNV, and it was indeed a mess. :)

BTW, remember the episode with the Spaceship Yonada where the entire world was a hollow ball but it's inhabitants did not know? The female leader married Dr McCoy and cured him of an incurable disease using the Yonada computer. Anyway, STNV is going to finish that episode next. :) They did an awesome continuation of "Mirror, Mirror". Episodes are here:

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com/category/web-page/episodes/

Pop popcorn! If you are a Trekkie like me, you will love these episodes.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The scary part is New Voyages did help make "Of Gods and Men" and the people behind this are also the ones behind "Star Trek Renegades".

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The scary part is New Voyages did help make "Of Gods and Men" and the people behind this are also the ones behind "Star Trek Renegades".

Like I said, New Voyages has all the money. They have the most extensive and best made physical TOS sets, the best CGI people and the most complete production crew of any of the Trek fan projects. Paramount has even used them. The Deep Space Nine episode "Trials and Tribble-lations" was done on New Voyages sets, as was the Enterprise episode "In A Mirror Darkly".

Axanar is very very CGI heavy and green screen heavy. As far as I know, nobody has recreated the TNG-era sets for Enterprise 1701D or Defiant or any of the Enterprise sets.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This production is first class, no doubt about it. Even the actors are familiar faces from the various series. But what makes this great is the fact that it is in the actual Trek universe (the TNG/DS9/Voy/Ent universe). The direction this is going is entirely compatible with existing canon, even if the characters themselves (the actors) might be cast in different roles. This Trek does not need a Captain Kirk or a Spock or even an Enterprise, yet is it more Trek than any of the NuTrek movies are. The ships and graphics look much better than the production run TV series. Lots better by a large margin.

Here are 20 minutes of goodness from Axanar.

I had sent money before, I just sent another $50.00!

so what race is doing the "interviewing" of former combatants from all sides? Vulcans?

--------------------

hopefully the films creators have mastered the problem of making a good and tech interesting film for today without over doing the tech imagination of 1966

remember how in ENTERPRISE (quality of the show otherwise aside) they had an issue with using tech that was ahead of the tech from TOS? must be frustrating

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Oh jesus looks like they've JUST about to begin production on this.

https://www.axanarproductions.com/axanar-production-update-august-2018/

At this point, and this has only been discussed briefly, we think we are looking at two days of shooting in Los Angeles in Dec. – Jan. and then two days of shooting in Atlanta a month or two later. Our goal is to have everything in the can by end of February and a release date next summer. If all goes as planned, another Red carpet event at Comic Con will be planned.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
all the scenes on vulcan over the years-- how does the planet have any oxygen without any vegetation?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Still on the way--- i guess (???)

THIS is Star Trek! This is proof that Star Trek lives, and that there are professionals who know how to write it and how to portray it, and especially how it is supposed to look. I would be very okay with Alec Peters replacing the current showrunners, but not as the top boss. Guess who I want for that? Joseph Mallozzi! Yep. I have actually had the opportunity to chat with him directly and also interact with him on Twitter. He could do it. He would be the top boss, and Alec Peters would answer to him.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
THIS is Star Trek! This is proof that Star Trek lives, and that there are professionals who know how to write it and how to portray it, and especially how it is supposed to look. I would be very okay with Alec Peters replacing the current showrunners, but not as the top boss. Guess who I want for that? Joseph Mallozzi! Yep. I have actually had the opportunity to chat with him directly and also interact with him on Twitter. He could do it. He would be the top boss, and Alec Peters would answer to him.

yeah,, but is it ever coming out? :)

is axanar going to be anything more than a 20 some minute, one and done video? in the ST PACIFIC 201 comments, ppl were saying per agreement with "the MAN" that fan made vids cannot be more than 20 some minutes worth of content, with no sequels, per the agreement that came about because of axanar

is this correct?

Last edited: