Spartacus; War of the Damned

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
anyone else keeping up with spartacus?

they are taking great 'license' with the doings of Caesar

it is known that he was on Crassus' staff in the war but little is known of his actual doings. he probably had no command and was little more then errand boy

also, a man has detailed and self oriented as Caesar would have definetaly wrote of his actions, especially if they were anywhere near as they are depicted in the show

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
yes. and your nudity/sex stament from before makes even less sence now and was def an example of you jumping the gun.

i have never expected this to be TRUE to historical account so its far from a valid critique imo.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
yes. and your nudity/sex stament from before makes even less sence now and was def an example of you jumping the gun.

i have never expected this to be TRUE to historical account so its far from a valid critique imo.

but that is the thing-there is so little in the historical account from the latin and greek writers

that they have even been able to squeek out one season is a credit to the creators. I am just saying that while other real historical figures have been portrayed with little to no deviation from their actual persona's and deeds (example Glaber was an idiot and a military "Shleprock"/ Crassus was vain,egotistical and hungered for the dictatorship) that they have taken quite a bit of artistic license in their portrayal of Caesar and his "black ops" mission.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I'm feeling a little melancholy about season 3, as I know the series will be over soon. For some reason I'm rooting for Gannicus to skate free when they conclude it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I'm feeling a little melancholy about season 3, as I know the series will be over soon. For some reason I'm rooting for Gannicus to skate free when they conclude it.
like i said, TPTB said they will have "an ending like you will not expect"

and this the actual details are sketchy concerning the end of the revolt, it gives TPTB the maneuver room they need to tell an ending in the way they would like.

the could have spartacus survive, or gannicus (his character never really wanted any part of it anyhow) or any one else..each story told before (Kirk Douglass and the USA Network prod) each showed us survivors so I am guessing the end here wont copy either one of those.

i still like the idea of them using Kirk Douglass as a very old Spartacus living his life on some mountain telling his tale as a cautionary one to somebody contemplating taking on rome-that no matter the righteousness of your cause-good cannot always overtake power. or that power is not a way to goodness. or some other blah,blah

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well, another show whose TPTB's over hyped the ending. It was still good though-a pretty good interpretation of the actual sources (some say spartacus died in battle, some say he was crucified, legend says he got away).

I really enjoyed their portrayal of Crassus-think they got it very close to how the man is depicted in the source writings (incidentally, i am now re-reading Plutarch's "lives" (aka 'fall of the roman republic')-When I read about Plutarch's description of Crassus-so much of it fits in with the on screen performance) he was usually the cool player doing things like they showed and his handling of Pompey and his claim for the victory and ensuing triumph--all for greater ends and personal power.

This is a show a may actually consider buying on DVD-something i next to never do.

time to call DIRECTV and cancel STARZ again :rolleye0014:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I saw a few minutes of the last show and realized they killed off Manu Bennett's character so I lost a lot of interest. I'll probably watch the finale' out of curiosity to see the very end.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I saw a few minutes of the last show and realized they killed off Manu Bennett's character so I lost a lot of interest. I'll probably watch the finale' out of curiosity to see the very end.

yup, kind of inevitable with that one--we do know from history what happened to Crixus, Gannicus and Oenamaeus--all Gauls or possibly Cimbri, and at that time, severely hated by the Romans. The only main character we do not have a firm record of (died in battle, crucified, died of wounds, got away) is Spartacus himself.

But i get why you are dismayed by the loss of Manu--he was one of my favorite actors in the show ( i believe he was the only one to be in all 4 seasons as well)-I think the guy is a great actor-don't know why we do not see more of him, maybe he gets more play in Australia? hey, he is in The Hobbit-you can catch him there :rolleyes:

Liked the way they worked in "my name is not Spartacus". The way he said it was kind of like "OK, I've been putting up with this damn name for so long and I've never gotten around to telling anyone, so before I die..."