Space stuff

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Since we have the random banter thread, I've noticed that I've posted quite a bit of tweets there by World and Science and also by Universal-Sci which are somehow related to new developments and discoveries in the field of space research, so I thought I might as well start putting those together in a thread of their own. Just the new ones mind you, I'm not going through all the former stuff to re-post it here.

Let's start with this nice new tweet about the WFIRST space telescope. It is set to "replace" the Hubble space telescope within about a year or two they hope. Apparently it'll be armed with a 300 megapixel camera which should enable it to take nice sharp pictures. It'll also sport a coronagraph which will block out light from stars so that it can take pictures of exoplanets. I find that mighty interesting. It's main mission though is to study dark matter/dark energy, but the side mission will be research into exoplanets.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
interesting. I can't wait to see what it produces.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Not news, but interesting. Well, to me at least. Never quite knew the difference between comets and meteors and whatnot. This explains it succinctly.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the black hole image is faked

have you ever seen a black hole in space with your naked eye? huh?huh?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
They used radio telescopes.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They used radio telescopes.

no way man..the flat earthers are right! it cannot be real unless you've seen it with your own eyes in he sky

hmm,hmmm?

how is it we can see this so called "black hole" in another galaxy but we cant zoom in on the us flag on the moon?

huh?huh?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
no way man..the flat earthers are right! it cannot be real unless you've seen it with your own eyes in he sky

hmm,hmmm?

how is it we can see this so called "black hole" in another galaxy but we cant zoom in on the us flag on the moon?

huh?huh?
Lol.

I only realized later that you were joking around posting flat earther videos all over the place.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Lol.

I only realized later that you were joking around posting flat earther videos all over the place.

YEAH you got me :)

the serious part though is the extent of this nonsense and just how much its 'tentacles' of stupidity is reaching into nearly everything

so much so, that those of us who have legit concerns about things (like MMCC or vaccines,etc) get lumped in with these nutjobs so that we can have our questions just discarded and ignored by those in science.

it like with the emerging evidence that there actually have been 'lost civilizations' pre dating the accepted "facts"based on new archaeological finds. But ppl who want to explore this more get sloughed off by the mainstream community of academics as if we are some kind of 'ancient alien/UFO' hunter crazy people

sorry for 'hijacking' your thread, just wanted to get in my PSA :)