Space: 1999 reboot

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I thought this was interesting. I did not know that Martin Landau was offered the role of Mr Spock before Leonard Nimoy and, instead, opted for his part in Mission: Impossible:

http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/main/crguide/vcaml.html

In 1965 he was offered the role of Spock in Star Trek, but Landau rejected this for the part of a master of disguise in Mission: Impossible.

Highlander

GateFans Cadet
I think I watched every episode of the orginal. When an actual season lasted 26 episodes, not this short season crap. Which is leading to the recreation of old shows which in some cases shouldn't be touched. I'll watch it just to see but im not sure how it will go. HMMMMMM:cool:

Bluce Ree

I think I watched every episode of the orginal. When an actual season lasted 26 episodes, not this short season crap. Which is leading to the recreation of old shows which in some cases shouldn't be touched. I'll watch it just to see but im not sure how it will go. HMMMMMM:cool:

If they don't go the cheap, overused green-screen CGI crap like they did with Sanctuary it may be an interesting reboot.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If they don't go the cheap, overused green-screen CGI crap like they did with Sanctuary it may be an interesting reboot.

I don't see how they can do this WITHOUT the aforementioned. :(. Even the original used loops of certain scenes, like when the shuttles would be flying over the lunar surface, they were loops used over and over in several episodes. They did it in Trek too. But if they are high quality, they can get away with it. A show like this would be prohibitive with high end sets. I sorta expect a lot of green screen.

Bluce Ree

I don't see how they can do this WITHOUT the aforementioned. :(. Even the original used loops of certain scenes, like when the shuttles would be flying over the lunar surface, they were loops used over and over in several episodes. They did it in Trek too. But if they are high quality, they can get away with it. A show like this would be prohibitive with high end sets. I sorta expect a lot of green screen.

That's why I said "cheap green screen CGI". When you compare Sanctuary to the new Total Recall (which also employed green screen), for example, night and day. Or even Sanctuary to the new V, for that matter.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I'm on the same page as you. Watched every ep of the original and will tune into the new version but I'll be wary at first.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I actually got the coolest thing cheap at a Half Price Books - Space 1999 Season One on Blu Ray!

First things first. They did a digital cleanup for the transfer and the image clarity is amazing (blows You Tube away). You can really see the visual work which was amazing then and looks great even now - the work done on this show with models was incredible.

As to the episodes, yes season one is fantastic work. Acting is really strong and the scripts are intelligent. What is interesting is that Space 1999 (in season one) was using a different flavor of Science Fiction from what we typically get today. It was more contemplative and had a very "Arthur C Clarke" feel to it. Some of the really strong installments were "Black Sun", "The Guardian of Piri", "Dragons Domain", "The Testament of Arcadia" and more.

Well, well worth it.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Not only are seasons not 26 episodes anymore, but they have this huge break in between. People begin to lose interest this way and viewers. It's like 19-20 episodes with half-year break in between. And if you watch some old shows and compare them to shows nowdays, you'll notice that the times of the episodes are different too. They used to be around the 44-48 range, now it's like 39-42 range. More commercials nowdays.
Yeah, I hate overused CGI. I mean watch the old star wars compared to the new star wars. The old ones have a more authentic feel to them, yeah? A more recent example is the LOTR movies with all of its real sets and real orcs compared to the CGI fest of The Hobbit. There really is a difference. Sure, sometimes it's appropriate but you lose some of the realism of it with too much CGI.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah, I hate overused CGI. I mean watch the old star wars compared to the new star wars. The old ones have a more authentic feel to them, yeah? A more recent example is the LOTR movies with all of its real sets and real orcs compared to the CGI fest of The Hobbit. There really is a difference. Sure, sometimes it's appropriate but you lose some of the realism of it with too much CGI.

:icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears::icon_rotflmao::SmileyLaughingTears:

I want to know where they found them!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
LOL they showed you in the movie! Underground and mordor. LOL I meant, completely cgi enemies as opposed to the make-up and stuff in LOTR.

Sorry, Ruprecht is not an orc!!!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Avatar I am using is of a character Steve Martin played in the movie "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels". Ruprecht was a name that character used for a time.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
The Avatar I am using is of a character Steve Martin played in the movie "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels". Ruprecht was a name that character used for a time.

Point of order, the activities of Ruprecht could be construed as "orc-like" on occasion. :P

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

Didn't he wear the eyepatch because he stabbed himself in the eye while trying to eat?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep.

Interesting how this started out on Space 1999 and now we're talking about Ruprecht the Monkey Boy...:)

Seriously though - Space 1999 in season one at least was good stuff. Yes the apparent speed of the Moon was pretty incredible (per the show itself Season One covered 2.5 years so they traveled to new solar systems in about 6-8 weeks - pretty impressive velocity). But I loved the tone of the show, the acting and as mentioned above how the plots seemed to come from the Arthur C Clarke school of SciFi.