Space: 1999 reboot

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Anyone else hear of this? Jace Hall, who rebooted "V", is behind this reboot.

http://io9.com/5884500/why-space-2099-wont-be-a-dark-and-gritty-reboot-of-space-1999

Apparently, ABC is going to pick it up:

http://www.fandompost.com/2012/02/14/space-2099-being-set-up-at-abc/

If they do reboot this show, it will kill in the ratings just with the nostalgic crowd alone. I still catch the old eps from the original series. It's one show I never get tired of watching.

space-2099-full.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If it is faithful to the mood and spirit of the original I am on board.

Bluce Ree

I've read rumors of a reboot for years but this is the first time I've seen a major network mentioned as being attached to the project. It seems to good to be true.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'll believe it when I see it. I watched the original for a time, but eventually got bored and stopped watching.

Rumors and all that are fine, but unless I hear something "official", I take it all with a very large grain of salt.

Bluce Ree

I'll believe it when I see it. I watched the original for a time, but eventually got bored and stopped watching.

Rumors and all that are fine, but unless I hear something "official", I take it all with a very large grain of salt.

I'm so tired of taking everything with salt. Why can't we ever have a grain of sugar with these rumors? Or even a chili pepper. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Anyone else hear of this? Jace Hall, who rebooted "V", is behind this reboot.

http://io9.com/5884500/why-space-2099-wont-be-a-dark-and-gritty-reboot-of-space-1999

Apparently, ABC is going to pick it up:

http://www.fandompost.com/2012/02/14/space-2099-being-set-up-at-abc/

If they do reboot this show, it will kill in the ratings just with the nostalgic crowd alone. I still catch the old eps from the original series. It's one show I never get tired of watching.

View attachment 7416

OMG! OMG! :smiley_joy::daniel_new_anime021:smiley_squee:

carlton_dance.gif

I love Space 1999! Even the premise was cool, the Moon being thrown from earth's orbit and the moon base on it taken with it. This is GREAT NEWS!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I liked it too. Hopefully if they do this they make sure to preserve the tone and mood of the original - that is crucial.

Bluce Ree

OMG! OMG! :smiley_joy::daniel_new_anime021:smiley_squee:

View attachment 7418

I love Space 1999! Even the premise was cool, the Moon being thrown from earth's orbit and the moon base on it taken with it. This is GREAT NEWS!

I'd love to know what they have in mind to explain the moon breaking away in the reboot. I'm cautiously excited about this reboot. :)

Bluce Ree

I wonder if we can get someone involved in the project to do an email interview for the front page.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wonder if we can get someone involved in the project to do an email interview for the front page.

If I could just see how one of those is done, there might be a lot more of them! Filming an interview seems like an insurmountable task!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
ARGH!!!!! Damn computer is acting up today and I lost my whole post! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

At any rate, I'm torn on this one. Loved the show as a kid, loved the adult themes and dark edge it had, especially in the first season. They didn't treat the viewers like 8yo morons. The second season from what I recall got a little more schlocky with the introduction of "Maya" but I loved that season just as much as the first. That character was one of the first shape shifting aliens if I recall correctly. At any rate, great show for the time and I hope they don't mess it up in the remake. Fingers crossed!

3559341466_e87b924acf.jpg

ETA: Yes, the premise of the moon being ripped out of Earth's orbit and then going on to travel the galaxy (stopping at a new planet each week) was horrendously bad in many ways. I suspect the new version will have the moon get sucked into a worm hole type of thing so that they can explain the interstellar travel that way. To the credit of the original show I recall an episode where the moon came back into Earth's orbit and they discovered how much destruction had occurred. I liked that they didn't completely ignore reality in that regard...Although one has to wonder about the devastation it would cause every time the moon left a 3 day orbit (I think that was the time limit they had) around any planet it encountered.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
If I could just see how one of those is done, there might be a lot more of them! Filming an interview seems like an insurmountable task!

The trick is to not ask them to take their clothes off until after you start filming. Trust me on this. :congratulatory:

Bluce Ree

ARGH!!!!! Damn computer is acting up today and I lost my whole post! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

At any rate, I'm torn on this one. Loved the show as a kid, loved the adult themes and dark edge it had, especially in the first season. They didn't treat the viewers like 8yo morons. The second season from what I recall got a little more schlocky with the introduction of "Maya" but I loved that season just as much as the first. That character was one of the first shape shifting aliens if I recall correctly. At any rate, great show for the time and I hope they don't mess it up in the remake. Fingers crossed!

View attachment 7422

ETA: Yes, the premise of the moon being ripped out of Earth's orbit and then going on to travel the galaxy (stopping at a new planet each week) was horrendously bad in many ways. I suspect the new version will have the moon get sucked into a worm hole type of thing so that they can explain the interstellar travel that way. To the credit of the original show I recall an episode where the moon came back into Earth's orbit and they discovered how much destruction had occurred. I liked that they didn't completely ignore reality in that regard...Although one has to wonder about the devastation it would cause every time the moon left a 3 day orbit (I think that was the time limit they had) around any planet it encountered.

That was an episode called "Journey to Where". Good memory, bro, but the moon didn't came back to Earth. At this point, they were a galaxy apart and they came across something like a wormhole that allowed 2-way communication with Texas City. The year back on Earth is 2120 (about 120 years have passed back home) and the former USA is now a collection of domed cities due to a major pollution problem. Texas City has technology to transport people back through the anomaly but the moon has 3 days before a galactic eclipse comes between the, When they attempt the first transport they end up going back in time on Earth to the dark ages.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That was an episode called "Journey to Where". Good memory, bro, but the moon didn't came back to Earth. At this point, they were a galaxy apart and they came across something like a wormhole that allowed 2-way communication with Texas City. The year back on Earth is 2120 (about 120 years have passed back home) and the former USA is now a collection of domed cities due to a major pollution problem. Texas City has technology to transport people back through the anomaly but the moon has 3 days before a galactic eclipse comes between the, When they attempt the first transport they end up going back in time on Earth to the dark ages.

Yeah that's the one. It's literally been decades since I've seen it. I'm kind of surprised the show hasn't been rerun in all that time. I'm looking forward to watching it again in the future when I have time. I'll have to see if Netflix has it available.

Such a good show for its time. I really hope they do it justice in the remake.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah that's the one. It's literally been decades since I've seen it. I'm kind of surprised the show hasn't been rerun in all that time. I'm looking forward to watching it again in the future when I have time. I'll have to see if Netflix has it available.

Ree---watch!

Bluce Ree

Netflix doesn't have it but, oddly enough, every full episode is available on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...3.3.0.135.626.4j3.7.0...0.0...1ac.S-sunW44I0U

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Bluce Ree

Cool. I was hoping I could watch it in full TV mode with clarity and everything, but I will take what I can get. :smug:

ITV has been really weird about its ownership. It took ages before it was allowed to be on VHS and then more years before it was available on DVD and a bluray version was just released. I don't understand why they've resisted having it on Netflix.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Um...er....my dad watched them and told me of them. You know, way back in the old days. :tongue: Seriously though, Irwin Allen made some seriously good scifi shows, at least in premise. The Navy wanted a flying sub so bad at that time. :) They still do.
Ever hear the story of the bucket they kept on set?

The Seaview would rock to one side, and they would throw themselves against that wall. Then someone would hit the bucket and they would throw themselves the other direction.

Lather.
Rinse.
Repeat.

I wonder if anyone ever got a credit as the "BucketBoy"?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
those were the days!

A few of my faves have this problem too:

Land of the Giants
The Invaders
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Lost in Space
Time Tunnel

:(

With the exception of The Invaders and Time Tunnel, I think that Land of the Giants and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea would do great. The Invaders was actually one of the first scifi-dramas I can remember. Much more drama than science fiction, but not soapy. Time Tunnel is too close to SG-1 and Primeval in premise to be different, but why do they lock these shows up under licensing when the owners are not allowing new stuff to be made using those ideas?

At least this one is coming back. :) Im wondering how they will do the whole escaped Moon thing though...scientificallly speaking, the moon being removed from Earth's orbit would completely destroy the biosphere, and many animals would be severely affected. Many circadian rhythms in our bodies are based in lunar cycles. Tides would be severely reduced. Many plants would perish. Just sayin...

when the scifi channel was first on they ran all of those great old scifi shows. look at the crud the new syfy is showing! yuck! :smiley-015:

I think that I've watched every show in that woodpile of yours except The Invaders, but I could be wrong about that.

I know that at least four of them were made by Irwin Allen, so what does that say about the sci-fi we watched when we were young(er), OM1?

It was GOOD scifi! I admit to watching them- I even admit to watching the planet of the apes tv series & the six million dollar [strike]hunk[/strike] man! I also saw the invaders in reruns...my mom loved the actor. (yep that is where I get "it" from! ) :biggrin:

Um...er....my dad watched them and told me of them. You know, way back in the old days. :tongue: Seriously though, Irwin Allen made some seriously good scifi shows, at least in premise. The Navy wanted a flying sub so bad at that time. :) They still do.

wouldn't you want a flying sub?