Sons of Liberty

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Is anyone watching the sons of liberty? it's a history channel mini series and is quite good. There are discrepancies of course - sam adams was not that young and handsome, John adams was very short and John Hancock was a handsome young man- but over all it is well done.

watching it gives you a good idea of the impetus behind the Revolutionary war and WHY Madison wrote the Bill of Rights. Those first eight amendments (the first 10 amendments are known as the Bill of Rights) are an excellent description of what the Brits put the early colonists through - freedom of religion, speech, assembly and press in the first , the right to bear arms in the 2nd (never forget WHY the brits were heading to concord.... ;) ) no soldiers quartered in private homes without consent, no warrantless search & seizure, no self-incrimination, a (speedy)trial by a jury of ones peers, jury trials in civil cases, no excessive bail. contrary to popular belief the Revolutionary War was about more than taxes!

In Sons of liberty, they show the the mistreatment of the colonists by British gov't officials- who considered themselves above the colonists and chose which laws to enforce. Bribery was expected and if one was without funds - there was no recourse. Even if you bribed an official- the said official could (and often did) change the terms on a whim. No wonder our founding fathers codified the rights of citizens in law.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Is anyone watching the sons of liberty? it's a history channel mini series and is quite good. There are discrepancies of course - sam adams was not that young and handsome, John adams was very short and John Hancock was a handsome young man- but over all it is well done.

watching it gives you a good idea of the impetus behind the Revolutionary war and WHY Madison wrote the Bill of Rights. Those first eight amendments (the first 10 amendments are known as the Bill of Rights) are an excellent description of what the Brits put the early colonists through - freedom of religion, speech, assembly and press in the first , the right to bear arms in the 2nd (never forget WHY the brits were heading to concord.... ;) ) no soldiers quartered in private homes without consent, no warrantless search & seizure, no self-incrimination, a (speedy)trial by a jury of ones peers, jury trials in civil cases, no excessive bail. contrary to popular belief the Revolutionary War was about more than taxes!

In Sons of liberty, they show the the mistreatment of the colonists by British gov't officials- who considered themselves above the colonists and chose which laws to enforce. Bribery was expected and if one was without funds - there was no recourse. Even if you bribed an official- the said official could (and often did) change the terms on a whim. No wonder our founding fathers codified the rights of citizens in law.

Sam Adams, who refused to go into politics after the war, was a better politician than a brewer.

I have caught bits and pieces of the show. I do not watch much television anymore.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Oddly enough I never heard of this show. No matter though as I'll just click on the helpful link that was provided in the original post. :P

Seriously though, it sounds interesting. I'll see if I can catch it. I did notice that Vikings is coming back on the History Channel soon.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Wait for the crossover episodes between the two shows....

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Sam Adams, who refused to go into politics after the war, was a better politician than a brewer.

I have caught bits and pieces of the show. I do not watch much television anymore.

bolded= "huh?!"

Adams was knee deep into poli after the war. he was governor of Massachusetts.

http://www.nga.org/cms/home/governo...ent/main-content-list/title_adams_samuel.html

As for the mini series, I thought it was a poor excuse for history of any sort

it did the classic "lets have the undertakings of many portrayed as being done by a few"

it also showed Adams pre war,as being little better then a lout and criminal, while in fact he was a member of the MASS house of reps and also involved on several civil society orgs

In their depiction of the Bunker Hill battle, they show Revere as having played a key role ,when in fact he was just a prominent member of the artillery unit there. He, in all likelihood, never met, or had only brief encounters with Washington as well.

I believe that the HBO series JOHN ADAMS is a far better version of this time in history

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
bolded= "huh?!"

http://www.nga.org/cms/home/governo...ent/main-content-list/title_adams_samuel.html

it did the classic "lets have the undertakings of many portrayed as being done by a few"

it also showed Adams pre war,as being little better then a lout and criminal, while in fact he was a member of the MASS house of reps and also involved on several civil society orgs

In their depiction of the Bunker Hill battle, they show Revere as having played a key role ,when in fact he was just a prominent member of the artillery unit there. He, in all likelihood, never met, or had only brief encounters with Washington as well.

I believe that the HBO series JOHN ADAMS is a far better version of this time in history

My goof. I must have confused him with someone else.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
My goof. I must have confused him with someone else.

there were many "sons of liberty" who became disenchanted as they believed that the British rule and monopoly on trade and freedoms was simply replaced by American one's,,, but ppl at the time said they were crazy...

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
bolded= "huh?!"

as far as anything History channel does it was okay - sure beats Vikings for realism! ;) Actually Revere did meet with Washington - which is why he alone got credit for "the british are coming"...myth made reality. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
as far as anything History channel does it was okay - sure beats Vikings for realism! ;) Actually Revere did meet with Washington - which is why he alone got credit for "the british are coming"...myth made reality. ;)

the problem with history=and History channel--is that when a period of time or an event is dramatized or even a documentary, the further back in time you go, the less the recency (of course) and the validity of any written record (especially those records NOT written)

so one can look at VIKINGS in a more forgiving light since it depicts events that occurred in the dark ages and where only one side of the story was written--and by those surviving the viking raids. So anything written was done by saxons/ britons or franks or others. the Norse had no written language at this time and kept no records beyond the oral histories

the problem with the Sons of LIBERTY is that it is a period of time much more recent with much better record keeping, therefore i see the mistakes and creative liberties taken as far less forgivable then the mistakes and liberties taken in VIKINGS

-------
As for HISTORY channel--well, I am guessing that by the time I am 70 or so, HISTORY will be making dramas that have George Washington fighting the Confederates at Gettysburg after he defeated the Japanese at Wake island....

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Not to go too far off track here but this has been bugging me for a week now. I caught Travis Fimmel, "Ragnar" from Vikings, on Live with Kelly and Michael ( a truly, truly horrible show if ever there was one). He was there to promote the new season of his show. Here's my issue -- he seems to be whacked out on drugs or something. He's unable to control his movements and keeps twitching about, even scratching himself uncontrollably at times. At first I thought maybe he had a neurological disorder like Parkinson's but the more I think about it the more I'm convinced what I'm seeing is the physical side effects of a drug problem. Watch the interview and tell me what you think.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Not to go too far off track here but this has been bugging me for a week now. I caught Travis Fimmel, "Ragnar" from Vikings, on Live with Kelly and Michael ( a truly, truly horrible show if ever there was one). He was there to promote the new season of his show. Here's my issue -- he seems to be whacked out on drugs or something. He's unable to control his movements and keeps twitching about, even scratching himself uncontrollably at times. At first I thought maybe he had a neurological disorder like Parkinson's but the more I think about it the more I'm convinced what I'm seeing is the physical side effects of a drug problem. Watch the interview and tell me what you think.

I think that he just had several drinks too many in the green room. I think I saw someone with the same haircut he has for the show at a WVU home basketball game on television.

Ragnar.jpeg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think that he just had several drinks too many in the green room. I think I saw someone with the same haircut he has for the show at a WVU home basketball game on television.

Fimmel is an Aussie so that means he learned how to handle his liquor by the time he reached the 2nd grade. ;)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
obviously "stoned" on something -- could be legal or illegal drugs. Some anti-psychotics have those kinds of side-effects; which is why they have a 90% non-compliance rate :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
obviously "stoned" on something -- could be legal or illegal drugs. Some anti-psychotics have those kinds of side-effects; which is why they have a 90% non-compliance rate :P

From what I understand Fimmel admits to being a hard partier. To me it looks like he's tweaking on something. You just don't have those kind of nervous body movements absent of a chemical issue (the possible exception being neurological ala Parkinsons, but that's more rare and more definable). Notice the way he sticks his chest out and scratches his side. Even Kelly Rippa comments on him being "itchy". That's tweaker behavior.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

well there is the two diff shoes and he did say he had been drinking....

or he could just be all giddy by being so close to goofy Kathy....

and then there is the answer for everything; he is from Australia :D

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well, whatever the reason for Fimmel's odd behavior I have to take him out of my spank bank. I don't do crazy. :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Indeed
Aussies need some kind of proscribed chemical to make them fucked up

Americans do it naturally.

:D