Something that could change CG forever...

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

if legit and if it does really work it will change 3d and CGI forever.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4

if legit and if it does really work it will change 3d and CGI forever.

Perhaps I misunderstood but it seemed to me that they went right back to polygon-based graphics in the end.

OMNI

not really they are trying to get it to work together so artist wont have to start over entirely from scratch.

the point is REAL time rendering and EXTREEM detailing capabilities.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
not really they are trying to get it to work together so artist wont have to start over entirely from scratch.

the point is REAL time rendering and EXTREEM detailing capabilities.

Real time rendering alone would change the world of CG in a major way. It would also make better CGI available to low budget productions. Imagine not having to watch those stupid low-budget Syfylys Saturday movies with nasty special effects anymore.

OMNI

indeed. tho there are still ALOT to work out before this is appliable this video shows that the future has great potential :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Real time rendering alone would change the world of CG in a major way. It would also make better CGI available to low budget productions. Imagine not having to watch those stupid low-budget Syfylys Saturday movies with nasty special effects anymore.

Aren't they half the point?? :P

OMNI

The reson those FX are so nasty is BC the tiny tiny tiny budget dedicated to the CG, if an artist is required to work for scraps he WILL produce CRAP.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
He avoided the issues of the computing power such visual detail would require and of costs.

OMNI

He avoided the issues of the computing power such visual detail would require and of costs.

yes. thats not all he avoided but that wasnt the point of this thread or the "demo" and like he says in the video the tech is still being developed.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I got the feeling that the technology was already there but game developers chose not to pursue that because of budgetary concerns and current computing processing power or lack thereof.

OMNI

I got the feeling that the technology was already there but game developers chose not to pursue that because of budgetary concerns and current computing processing power or lack thereof.

then you clearly misread what he is actually saying, also keep in mind this demo is sort of a sales pitch so him having a bloated language in regards to the tech is understandable but i asure you the tech is FAR FAAAAAAR FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from ready to be used for anything relating to CG for games or other entertainment but if the problems can be solved such as animation and a wide range of other things the potential is mind blowing.

personally i think polygonal 3D is the future for quite some time to come untill realscan and fractal (endles looping detailing) detailing can be perfected and as hardware and software becomes better and better as time progresses the potential for both ways of creating will continue to blow our minds.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Isn't it still polygonal? They just made the polygons smaller and smaller. What's fractal detailing?

OMNI

Isn't it still polygonal? They just made the polygons smaller and smaller. What's fractal detailing?
Yes and no its hard to explain think of polygonal only as surface geometry clad onto a shape and think of voxels as atoms which opens up potential for never ending detail levels like how the real world/ the whole universe is made up.

you know what a fractal is right? it is never ending detail/pattern ie the closer you look you will allways loop back to the original pattern as everything is made up but it so its the definition of infinite, an example maps and coastlines there can never be an EXACT number on the length of a coastline as its directly related to scale and what distance you are viewing it at so the closer you look and measure the longer the coastline becomes (pattern) and this is related to fractal behavior in nature look at rivers trees mountains water etc everything its all determined by one very simple mathematic equation yet it creates a pattern hat is inhearantly unpredictable and infinite in detail... it gets harder to explain from here and im not sure ive done a good enough job of it so far either... anyway look up "fingerprint of god" and it whould give you more on it, its quite facinating really...

anyway fractal detailing= endles looping detail like how the real world/universe functions ie zoo in to rediculous levels or zoom out to ridiculous levels.

and what it means by fractal is if you zoo in far enough youll come back to the original image same way if you zoom out as it loops...

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Do you mean like looking in the forest and looking further in and seeing the bark and looking further in and seeing individual ridges, etc.? Continuous detailing, I think I sorta get it.

OMNI

Do you mean like looking in the forest and looking further in and seeing the bark and looking further in and seeing individual ridges, etc.? Continuous detailing, I think I sorta get it.

indeed never ending detail ie infinite and in nature (the universe) is apearantly set up this way so in layman terms if you continue to zoom in youll eventually end up with the same image you started with regardles if you zoom in or zoom out

(Mandelbrot formula) aka "the fingerprint of god"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandelbrot_set

Images of the Mandelbrot set display an elaborate boundary that reveals progressively ever-finer recursive detail at increasing magnifications. The "style" of this repeating detail depends on the region of the set being examined. The set's boundary also incorporates smaller versions of the main shape, so the fractal property of self-similarity applies to the whole set, and not just to its parts.

i just saw a very intresting documentary about this yesterday so i cant help but to draw lines between the topic of this thread and this formula and both are facinating to me.

G

Graybrew1

I will say I am a total layperson when it comes to this type of stuff. ;) I think it is awesome the strides that we have made already. I was amazed by the difference between the old PS games to PS2 games and now to PS3 games. I enjoy just sitting back and experiencing the beauty of it. Cool stuff to see.:biggrin:

S

Stonelesscutter

This technology is nothing short of amazing. I'd love to see this come to life. I do wonder about what kind of technical specs would be required at minumum to run this sort of stuff comfortably. They say their technology offers lots more detail for the same amount of processing but I find myself hard pressed to believe that. It would be great if it were true though. I love it when technology gets pushed to it's limits.

OMNI

there is still ALOT of debate wether this is appliable or not but if it is it will most def change the cg world as we know it.

it has been suggested that a mix between the poly system and unlimited detail system would be preferd tho.

anyway im sure the future will give us the answers :)

S

Stonelesscutter

there is still ALOT of debate wether this is appliable or not but if it is it will most def change the cg world as we know it.

it has been suggested that a mix between the poly system and unlimited detail system would be preferd tho.

anyway im sure the future will give us the answers :)

In the further future this technology shall surely be preferred when processing power has become a non-issue. (this will happen eventually whether it is in 10 years or 50 years)