"SIBERIA" on SYFYllis

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, I have developed a habit of every saturday night going to my on screen guide to see what type of schlock movie syfy has on.

Tonight I checked and no movie, but instead a show called SIBERIA. Guide states "16 strangers from around the world are dropped into Siberia and must learn to survive"

Ok

So I click to it.

IMO, it is obviously scripted.

Cliche "mistakes" and "injuries" happen that make some of the people have to decide to either stay on their own or help their injured co-competitor (there is a cash money prize for the last man standing).

The "computer geek" looks like a stereo typical skinny white guy with glasses geek. Teh fashion model looks typical-and acts it too. The women with troubled pasts dress and act the part. The "environmental activist" as well looks the part of a radical leftist "save the earther". There is also an older guy named Sam (Sal?) who looks and sounds like Brando in APOCALYPSE NOW, no doubt intentionally.

It ends with a mushroom hunt where the environmentalist goes missing with a camera man. The show ends with the camera man running into camp calling for help and bloodied. The host of the show then comes on screen to say there as been a fatal accident-the environmentalist guy has been killed--by the environment(?) cliche squared....

Then instead of "next week on" we see a bouncy cam filming enviro man on his mushroom hunt..then a noise off camera..shrieks, screams, an "oh no" and something in Russian from the camera man-then the camera on the ground...

I call BS big time here. A mix of SURVIVOR meets THE BLAIR WITCH. I see no sci fi tie ins except for the possibility of maybe radiation poisoning/effects (the geek catches a three legged frog-then the cowboy archetype dude says "good, then 3 of us can eat")

For it suppose to be an international group they all-save 2, the aussie model and an english rugby player, speak flat effected, American/Canadian english--wait-just like they speak in Vancouver!!! The hallowed casting ground of all new syfy shows!!

I bet they are all from Vancouver and to think of it, the camp area with neighboring river and swamp look like close in shots of BSG's 'Kobol' or any outdoor woodsy shoy from SG1.

Siberia my ass....

I would post the show's link from syfy, but it isn't even on their website--cancelled before it even finished airing? :popcorn:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I grabbed my remote, browsed to Syfylys and selected "hide channel" from program guide for tonight. Now I don't have to skip over it anymore when I'm surfing. :icon_lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Saw an ad for "Sharknado" the other day on SyFy. Yes, that's right, a tornado that carries giant sharks with it as it rips thru town. Now my first inclination as I type this is to throw down about 3 emoticon eye rolls, but this "movie" is so horrendous a concept that it doesn't deserve any emoticons, that's how awful it is.

SyFy needs to be shut down and the executive offices need to be cleaned out. Making everyone who works for SyFy unemployed is the only answer, then rebuild with a real name like SCIFI, and return to a serious view towards science fiction and the attending fans.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Saw an ad for "Sharknado" the other day on SyFy. Yes, that's right, a tornado that carries giant sharks with it as it rips thru town. Now my first inclination as I type this is to throw down about 3 emoticon eye rolls, but this "movie" is so horrendous a concept that it doesn't deserve any emoticons, that's how awful it is.

SyFy needs to be shut down and the executive offices need to be cleaned out. Making everyone who works for SyFy unemployed is the only answer, then rebuild with a real name like SCIFI, and return to a serious view towards science fiction and the attending fans.

Wait...you arent kidding!

:crying-028::smiley-laughing024::shep_lol:
--- merged: Jul 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM ---
Im so waiting for Sharkquake, where subterranean sharks dig their way through fault lines to cause earthquakes. And Sharkonauts, which are space sharks which tear into the International Space Station and wreak havoc.

:popcorn:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Wait...you arent kidding!

:crying-028::smiley-laughing024::shep_lol:
--- merged: Jul 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM ---
Im so waiting for Sharkquake, where subterranean sharks dig their way through fault lines to cause earthquakes. And Sharkonauts, which are space sharks which tear into the International Space Station and wreak havoc.

:popcorn:

Part of me believes that Syfy comes up with these crazy movies to give jobs (to fulfill contracts) for the "stars" of their failed tv shows; How many times as "Lt Scott (forget his real name-Brian something(?))" been in this saturday night specials?

So, if correct- we should be seeing a whole slew of new crap movies after DEFI gets axed...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Interesting show. It was filmed in Manitoba with probably a Vancouver cast/crew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberia_(TV_series)

Did I miss it in the show? Was there any type of disclaimer or small print that said "not actually in Siberia?" or is it just a total fraud?

With the accents of the "International cast" it is pretty clear that they are more then likely Americans/ West coast Canadians. Given Syfy's talent pool tells me they are from Vancouver.

Not to mention the absence of black flies. Siberia in the summer-as with the Canadian north, is filled with black flies. This also leads one to believe it was filmed in more southerly locales-like as far south in Manitoba you can get.