SGU question

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
They split into groups called 'team' this character, that character for whom the team want to ship with what character. Spend the whole show talking or naval gazing instead of actually doing something, when the characters do something, complain there is to much "pew pew" and not enough talking. In between talking about who should hookup, complain(during commercial) about the amount and length of commercials, beg for someones cable or satt tv password or their ruku or apple tv box or a site where can live stream the show. The biggie, Get indignant about spoilers on social media!
Now why would I want to stare at a Navy? <eg>

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So the answer seems to be that the writers had no clue what the hell they were writing when it came to the seeder ships and Destiny and the Ancients. None of it makes sense when you dissect it. Proof, once again, that this show deserved to be cancelled.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So the answer seems to be that the writers had no clue what the hell they were writing when it came to the seeder ships and Destiny and the Ancients. None of it makes sense when you dissect it. Proof, once again, that this show deserved to be cancelled.

But the answer to your question in the OP is still out there......in the void.....(insert tinkling piano)....:P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
But the answer to your question in the OP is still out there......in the void.....(insert tinkling piano)....:P

Perhaps Destiny was on a mission to discover why the show was so dumb? :icon_lol:

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
So....some of you are forgetting how and why SGU came to be? :) I never once forgot where the idea for SGU came from or why Stargate became a story about a ship lost far far from home, why the theme song was a tinkling piano, why hyperspace became FTL and why it was filmed with extreme shaky cam and had crippled gates. I remember when NuBSG was canceled and how the timing of SGU was designed to coincide with the ending of that show. :)

I think that some of you are retconning logic and creativity into the show when it wasnt there. :)

Just because years have passed since SGU was canceled does not mean it has become something different than it was: a cheap grab at the orphaned NuBSG audience. So, they put a gate on Destiny that is "short range" (except that it can be reached by using a special address dialed on a planet-powered stargate BILLIONS of light years away)? :). It does not make sense at all. Why would they send this ship out and forget about it after leaving Atlantis for earth? Why would they leave it out there during the time the Goa'uld were dominating the Milky Way and using stolen tech from the Asurans? Why would Destiny have shuttles on it and why did they have rockets on those shuttles?

SGU was not a "fantastic idea". It was derivative and it wasnt stargate. I find it easier to watch than dreck like Defiance or Dominion or The Leftovers, but that does not mean that after all this time SGU has become better or more worthy of being called Stargate.

While I can't really speak for Gatefan here, I would reword it to this. Yes the show was as intended, it wasn't poorly executed this is what the production team wanted otherwise it wouldn't of gone down the route we love to hate. What I have issues with, is that the setting and through it in turn potential of the show was completely smothered out by said production team, it could of genuinely great, but the writing team, well especially the writing on the show was mostly self destructive. Take for example the episode Time (yes the one where Chloe dies...twice!) that is actually the most watchable episode mainly because it has good character moments, but unfortunately because it was seen in the past it had zero impact on the continuity of the show's characters overall, we saw them develop in a unique circumstance only for the magical reset button to happen.

If this was given to a new writing team, one that actually wanted to write science fiction or use the SF genre to enhance dramatic elements then maybe we would of gotten a different more competent executed show. So imagine if you have a diamond in the rough, but it is just sitting there on a shelf, doing absolutely nothing while the craftsman is busy on facebook. That is SGU to me.

I'll always remember this blog post. http://wrongquestions.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/stargate-universe-season-1.html

B

Backstep

So....some of you are forgetting how and why SGU came to be? :) I never once forgot where the idea for SGU came from or why Stargate became a story about a ship lost far far from home, why the theme song was a tinkling piano, why hyperspace became FTL and why it was filmed with extreme shaky cam and had crippled gates. I remember when NuBSG was canceled and how the timing of SGU was designed to coincide with the ending of that show. :)

I think that some of you are retconning logic and creativity into the show when it wasnt there. :)

Just because years have passed since SGU was canceled does not mean it has become something different than it was: a cheap grab at the orphaned NuBSG audience. So, they put a gate on Destiny that is "short range" (except that it can be reached by using a special address dialed on a planet-powered stargate BILLIONS of light years away)? :). It does not make sense at all. Why would they send this ship out and forget about it after leaving Atlantis for earth? Why would they leave it out there during the time the Goa'uld were dominating the Milky Way and using stolen tech from the Asurans? Why would Destiny have shuttles on it and why did they have rockets on those shuttles?

SGU was not a "fantastic idea". It was derivative and it wasnt stargate. I find it easier to watch than dreck like Defiance or Dominion or The Leftovers, but that does not mean that after all this time SGU has become better or more worthy of being called Stargate.

Or pointing out the nonsense.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

My position on SGU has never deviated.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to come down in the camp that says that SGU was incoherent, poorly written drivel. The logical problems with the plot only got worse as the show progressed, the characterizations were terrible (especially the misogynistic portrayal of all the women characters) and the tone (feeling of the show) was all wrong too. Need we even go back into things like the "sexstones"? Or how about these?

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads/is-the-use-of-the-communication-stones-in-sgu-rape.24667/

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/would-cannibalism-attract-viewers-to-sgu.23246/

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads/lou-diamond-philips-needs-a-job.24068/page-2#post-768550

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads...n-in-science-fiction-television-series.27089/

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So why infer I have forgotten or ret-conned stuff in my mind?
I don't get it.

My beef with SGU has always been that it was a waste of an idea, and that SGA got the chop for it.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I have to come down in the camp that says that SGU was incoherent, poorly written drivel. The logical problems with the plot only got worse as the show progressed, the characterizations were terrible (especially the misogynistic portrayal of all the women characters) and the tone (feeling of the show) was all wrong too. Need we even go back into things like the "sexstones"? Or how about these?

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads/is-the-use-of-the-communication-stones-in-sgu-rape.24667/

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/would-cannibalism-attract-viewers-to-sgu.23246/

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads/lou-diamond-philips-needs-a-job.24068/page-2#post-768550

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads...n-in-science-fiction-television-series.27089/

It was poorly written drivel, I have never disputed that claim either.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So why infer I have forgotten or ret-conned stuff in my mind?
I don't get it.

My beef with SGU has always been that it was a waste of an idea, and that SGA got the chop for it.

It wasnt necessarily referring to your comments....

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
As much as I hate thinking about this turd of a show I found myself wondering about that episode where they met up with the seeder ship. If the seeder ships manufacture and place the stargates on planets how could Destiny dial into any stargates past the point of overtaking that seeder ship?

Even allowing for the fact that Destiny wasn't flying in a straight line, there would still be a finite amount of stargates in whatever direction it went. The fact that they overtook a seeder ship proves that they had passed into the undiscovered frontier, hence no more stargates on planets they would be passing (in that direction at least).

Now I could be forgetting pertinent facts as I hate this show and the only fact I've made it a point to retain in memory is that it was a really stupid show that deserved to be cancelled. But maybe someone else remembers some facts about this topic and can enlighten me.

That was the ship where they encountered some aliens, right?

If so, wasn't it said that they had been trying to learn how to fly and control the ship? Perhaps in doing so they turned it about? Wasn't Telford involved in that ep as well?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Yes, when BSG ended, it was obvious that Sci fi execs were scrabbling to find something that would (hopefully) lay claim to those BSG fans.

I'd bet that if given to some other showrunners in the SG production world, SGU would have looked and did much better. It would have stayed far closer to the form of sg1/sga.

Ppl also forget that for those of us who did like it, BSG was a happy accident-as Moore and Eick admittedly had little idea of where to go season to season. It is hard to mimic a mistake that works out for the good (ah crap!!now here comes the rain of feces on me just for saying I liked bsg! :smiley-laughing021:)

and for the syfy execs to stake so much on a hope to replace eclecticism(bsg) with purposeful shenanigans(sgu) should have been enough to get them all fired

---------------------------------------------

you watch in years to come, those who never watched any sg will go to netflix or elsewhere and want to watch the whole sg filmex--if they start with sgu they will hate sga and sg1 (like watching ENTERPRISE and liking it then going to ST;TOS and hating it)

hopefully, they will start at the beginning

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That was the ship where they encountered some aliens, right?

If so, wasn't it said that they had been trying to learn how to fly and control the ship? Perhaps in doing so they turned it about? Wasn't Telford involved in that ep as well?

I can't remember the specifics of how the aliens got a hold of that ship but that still doesn't negate the question of what planets there would be past that point that would have viable stargates on them. Sure there could have been other seeder ships but what the would be in other sectors so basically the chunk of space Destiny was flying thru at that point would have been barren of stargates would it not?

Also, at the end of the series (yay!) they were leaving the galaxy and made no mention of seeder ships having reached the galaxy they were going to so the odds are that there wouldn't be stargates on the other end. Or if Destiny was following a charted path of Stargates that would mean that info would be in Destiny's data base and they would have been able to see exactly where they were going and would know in advance every stop they would make.

Ugh! This show is so stupid! Whenever I think of it I'm quickly reminded why it was cancelled and I'm glad for it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I can't remember the specifics of how the aliens got a hold of that ship but that still doesn't negate the question of what planets there would be past that point that would have viable stargates on them. Sure there could have been other seeder ships but what the would be in other sectors so basically the chunk of space Destiny was flying thru at that point would have been barren of stargates would it not?

Also, at the end of the series (yay!) they were leaving the galaxy and made no mention of seeder ships having reached the galaxy they were going to so the odds are that there wouldn't be stargates on the other end. Or if Destiny was following a charted path of Stargates that would mean that info would be in Destiny's data base and they would have been able to see exactly where they were going and would know in advance every stop they would make.

Ugh! This show is so stupid! Whenever I think of it I'm quickly reminded why it was cancelled and I'm glad for it.

That's what I mean per the aliens--perhaps they turned it around and then there very well could have been gates "ahead".

You seem confused--perhaps you should go and rewatch the series for some clarity :docianime16:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Im with you on this! :)