SGA Season 04: General Discussion Thread

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
I actually liked him with Katie.
Yeah you got me there. But McKeller? OMG what to say? Re-watching it I can see she played the part, but the Keller character? :beckettd: What can you say other than, "they killed Carson for that?"

At Dragon Con someone asked about Carter being a piece of furniture in S4. So it's nothing surprising. She was good in Adrift at the Midway station but they should have left it at that.

The problem is they screwed up big time dumping Weir. I'd still like to know what was the driving force there. Gero wouldn't talk about it on a DVD extra. She either wanted a big raise or TPTB gave her the Mallozzi.

SerenityS

GateFans Member
I never really liked Weir until she left and came back as a repli!Weir and I saw how well she played with the other characters. If the writers could have found something to do with her character other than wave good bye or screw up negotiations I think I would have been a fan of the character.
Carter was terrific in SG1 but really wasted in Atlantis, they wouldn't let her be the uber-genius geek that she is, so it kind of diminished her character for me. I liked Woolsey in the leader position, and wish they would have gone straight to that - leaving Weir as a Repilcator recurring character.

I didn't mind Keller, if she would have stayed in a supporting position as a junior physician. But as a major player and CMO she was awful. She was always the blonde in distress, an embodiment of the dream girl the writers (whose avatar was McKay) wanted to get it on with. And they played that angle with a passion that was disturbing.
Keller comes across as a young girl, McKay is a middle-aged balding man (who I actually like as a character). I agree with Rac that it comes across as a perverted, uncle hitting on his niece type of relationship. Friendship and snark between the two I could undderstand but I physically cringe when I see them together romantically. Uggggg
In Season 5 there are entire portions of the show I did not watch or can never watch again because of how disturbing I find the relationship.

All this said, I did like Season 4 a great deal, because the McKay/Sheppard Show is my favorite part of the series. The banter and friendship between the two was what held my interest and I did love Team episodes. My preference would be for a major focus on Team (Shep,McKay,Teyla,Ronon) adventures. (and more Zelenka and Lorne:))

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Yeah you got me there. But McKeller? OMG what to say? Re-watching it I can see she played the part, but the Keller character? :beckettd: What can you say other than, "they killed Carson for that?"

At Dragon Con someone asked about Carter being a piece of furniture in S4. So it's nothing surprising. She was good in Adrift at the Midway station but they should have left it at that.

The problem is they screwed up big time dumping Weir. I'd still like to know what was the driving force there. Gero wouldn't talk about it on a DVD extra. She either wanted a big raise or TPTB gave her the Mallozzi.

I will agree with my Snookie that Weir was "the heart of Atlantis"...it never seemed right after she left. (But I am a sheyla shipper all the way :P)They could have done so much with repliweir-- an interesting turn of events. Weir studied the writings of the ancients on Ascension and could have really helped the asurans. I admit I am one of the few who liked Progeny and the asuran storyline. I thought it fit well in with what we knew of the replicators and the return of the ancients to the MW. I always thought that Reese's father was an ancient who made Reese to replace a deceased child or maybe sibling (lost to the plague?) and then discovered his programming was faulty. but that's just MHO. :)

F

Frumenta

I was ok with Weir. She never did much for me and I blame the actress. Torri was great in certain episodes (she broke my heart in the Real World) and just sort of there in others. I just didn't feel the character and after I saw Jessica Steen's Weir I can't reconcile the two. The difference is huge. Steen would have been a totally different character even with the same script, I think.

I liked Sam's addition but hated how the character was dumbed down. She should have been going toe to toe with McKay. The worst was in Trio I couldn't recogise the Sam from SG1 with all those years of experience going on missions. And she said something mean about Zelenka which I will never forgive.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
I preferred Jessica to Torri. Keller should have been a minor charactor not one that they devoted all those episodes to. I'm a fan of Jewels just not this charactor. She didn't have dept head skills. Hated Trio and one where she switched bodies, pretty much all the ones that she was the focus of including the date episode. Loved Carter no matter what she was playing.

Woolsey was funny, didn't mind him to much. The writers tanked this show. They never explored Altantis what makes anyone think they can find the bridge of a ship.

fumblesmcstupid

GateFans Noob
I think that the leadership of Atlantis should have been a JOINT one. Half Sheppard half Weir.

I have a few thoughts.

I think once TPTB got their hard on for Staite the show was doomed.

Keller came into a position she was not in any way shape of form ready for.

I still want to know WHEN they got Carson to clone him. I know it was in Misbegotten, but when?

Do you ever feel like you are not watching the same show that everyone else is?

I got the impression that Rodney and Co. liked Radek. Carter and Keller have not been there long enough to make the assumptions about anyone. (can ya tell I'm irked?)

In Adrift Keller should have stood up and said that she insisted that Rodney activate the nanites. Did she? Nope!

To be continued..........

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Some comments...

I think that the leadership of Atlantis should have been a JOINT one. Half Sheppard half Weir.
It actually was to some degree. I found the military/civilian arrangement good. IMO things got messy when they reestablished travel with Earth, though.

Yes, but Atlantis was such a strong show that it survived even bad decisions like this. The show was really doomed when BW & RCC started watching BSG...

Exactly!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I didn't catch the actress' name while watching SG-1, but I'm guessing that Jessica Steen is the blonde version of Weir. To me, she seemed like such a Carter clone. They had the same hair style, similar height and build and facial features. And, she was written to be this super doctor in much the same way that Sam was being written to me with only a very few differences. I think perhaps that's why they went with Torri who played the character differently and had a different look.

I never watched SGA for the expedition leaders; so as long as they weren't in the way, that was okay for me. Weir wasn't the best character to me, but she was alright. I didn't care much for the Real World episode - it was okay, but you could totally skip it and not miss anything if you're watching season 3 for the first time - but Lifeline for me was the best Weir episode. It was good how she stood up to Oberoth and tricked him, and then she sacrificed herself to save her team. That was touching, and if they were going to get rid of Weir then ending her story there would have been better than bringing her back in season 5 to me.

Back to Jessica Steen. I liked the actress. She was just too much like Carter so I'm glad that they didn't use her.

Cheers.

I adored the Real World...one of my fave sga eps...but then I have a degree in psychology and the ep was very intriguing for me. my hubby on the other hand found it dull. :P I loved weir and oberoth (i al;ways thought they were a good "ship) but then I shipped weir with several others- caldwell and janus to name two. :D I also loved before I sleep -- great time travel paradox ep! i wanted repliweir to stay and be a bit evil too. :D

I preferred Jessica to Torri. Keller should have been a minor charactor not one that they devoted all those episodes to. I'm a fan of Jewels just not this charactor. She didn't have dept head skills. Hated Trio and one where she switched bodies, pretty much all the ones that she was the focus of including the date episode. Loved Carter no matter what she was playing.

Woolsey was funny, didn't mind him to much. The writers tanked this show. They never explored Altantis what makes anyone think they can find the bridge of a ship.

yep the writers killed a great show and missed so many chances with atlantis.

I have a few thoughts.

I still want to know WHEN they got Carson to clone him. I know it was in Misbegotten, but when?

Do you ever feel like you are not watching the same show that everyone else is?

I got the impression that Rodney and Co. liked Radek. Carter and Keller have not been there long enough to make the assumptions about anyone. (can ya tell I'm irked?)

In Adrift Keller should have stood up and said that she insisted that Rodney activate the nanites. Did she? Nope!

To be continued..........

hell yeah with sga and with sgpoo (especially when the squeedrones get whining! ) there were so many missed opportunities with sga that it makes me want to scream!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I am about halfway through season 4 of sga...it beats the baloney on the tv these days :facepalm: ---anywaaaaay I have enjoyed revisiting these characters...wollsey as a twit is hilarious, poor sam for getting sidelined, and I love Jeannie (mckay's sister) returning! I can see the beginnings of the tanking of SGA though- the terrible beginnings of mckeller (gag!) mckay getting a second "oh no he's dying~" ep, and the fact it had turned into the the mckay and shep show! :P it's obvious the creators of the show were already working on their "new baby"
tomato.gif