SGA Season 04: General Discussion Thread

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Just watching S4 E1 (Adrift). What a great show. So many really good ideas in one ep. I always liked anything with the Midway station. And Bill Dow in it as well.

And when Zelenka gets creamed by the micro-meteor. So many great effects.

Makes SGU look like the POS that it is — A bunch of retreads arguing in a ship that looks like a toilet. WTF? No wonder there's a site like this.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
for me, seasons 3 & 4 were when SGA hit the heights.... until near the end of season 4 and it became the mckay-shep hour> :rolleyes: but even that was better than sgpoo. :P

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
I'm currently on season 4 just watched Adrift and Lifeline for the first time and it was awesome! It was 12am and I thought it was only a two parter so I stayed up a while watching it. Question, when they extend the shield it can go from base to outside as well, and when Weir was hit it was going outside to base. Why didn't they do base to outside? :confused:

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
for me, seasons 3 & 4 were when SGA hit the heights.... until near the end of season 4 and it became the mckay-shep hour> :rolleyes: but even that was better than sgpoo. :P

HUH GOT YOU, YOU LOVE MCKAY, YOU LOVE MCKAY :P

Sorry on a serious note; I absolutley detested Carter on Atlantis (sorry sg1 fans) because I dont think she added any of the tension i had envisioned for good or bad and was just "there".

Scenes such as the announcement of KH death
done by Dr Weir would have been much more powerfull due to the build up of emotions over the previous seasons, but we get Carter and i didnt feel anything from her at all.

I also think this season was the start of the seperation of the team which comes to prominence in season 5 but IMHO starts in season 4.

There were and alsways is eps i like in all seasons but i go back to seasons 1&3 more than season 4.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Sorry on a serious note; I absolutley detested Carter on Atlantis (sorry sg1 fans) because I dont think she added any of the tension i had envisioned for good or bad and was just "there".

Yeah, all she did was walk around smiling. Gero was asked about it at the Dcon and defended it by saying she went on to become managerial. The fact the question was asked is evidence that fans were POed about it. And Gero certainly wasn't enthusiastic about the answer. Sort of "we fucked up" and don't talk about that.

Sure Atlantis wasn't perfect, cough (Keller) cough, but it's a thousand times better than that dog's breakfast they call SGoo.

stclare

Yeah, all she did was walk around smiling. Gero was asked about it at the Dcon and defended it by saying she went on to become managerial. The fact the question was asked is evidence that fans were POed about it. And Gero certainly wasn't enthusiastic about the answer. Sort of "we fucked up" and don't talk about that.

Sure Atlantis wasn't perfect, cough (Keller) cough, but it's a thousand times better than that dog's breakfast they call SGoo.

Yep I wonder how long after sgpoop is no more will we get the admissions that they made the wrong decisions with most aspects of the show?

Thing was I didnt like Carter to start with but was hoping that she would create conflict between her and Sheppard. it was more like anyone could have read the lines she was given for the impact they had. Not becuase AT is a bad actress but becuase the lines felt very generic to me and the hair oh god the hair in this, not my fave Carter hair!

Keller should have been an assistant to someone with brass balls, she didnt have the umph to make me believe she could run a department. I could totaly have got behind her being a genius in her chosen field and be competent but it takes more than just medical skill to run a dpt and to control people working under you who are older and probably resentfull of her being in that position. Conflict between her and others over this would have been good for her charcters development IMO but I guess there were so many missed chances with SGA.

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
Yep I wonder how long after sgpoop is no more will we get the admissions that they made the wrong decisions with most aspects of the show?

Thing was I didnt like Carter to start with but was hoping that she would create conflict between her and Sheppard. it was more like anyone could have read the lines she was given for the impact they had. Not becuase AT is a bad actress but becuase the lines felt very generic to me and the hair oh god the hair in this, not my fave Carter hair!

Keller should have been an assistant to someone with brass balls, she didnt have the umph to make me believe she could run a department. I could totaly have got behind her being a genius in her chosen field and be competent but it takes more than just medical skill to run a dpt and to control people working under you who are older and probably resentfull of her being in that position. Conflict between her and others over this would have been good for her charcters development IMO but I guess there were so many missed chances with SGA.

That's a really great point. Keller was really young to be in charge of the entire department. Having her work for someone else that took over for Carson (they should never have killed Carson) probably would have made people like her more.

I really love Carter. I was just happy to have the character continue on and not disappear with the end of SG1. One of the biggest blunders of Season 4 in my opinion is deleting the scene from the episode Trio where Sam basically admits she and Jack are dating. How could you delete one of the most important things ever to happen to the character? It speaks to the point that she was there just to fill in an empty position.

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
I don't think the tpb wanted Carter outshining any of the existing main characters so they played her down a bit. I still loved her in season 4 and wish she had a bit more to do. I felt she was coming into her own towards the end of season 4 and she was great in Search and Rescue. Weirs character was all over the place and she never came across as leadership material. She made so many dreadful decisions that I would have been happy to see anyone replace her.

I actually really agree with your assessment of Dr. Weir. I was really happy to see Sam replace her. I liked Dr. Weir, but I loved Sam.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I don't think the tpb wanted Carter outshining any of the existing main characters so they played her down a bit. I still loved her in season 4 and wish she had a bit more to do. I felt she was coming into her own towards the end of season 4 and she was great in Search and Rescue. Weirs character was all over the place and she never came across as leadership material. She made so many dreadful decisions that I would have been happy to see anyone replace her.

I actually really agree with your assessment of Dr. Weir. I was really happy to see Sam replace her. I liked Dr. Weir, but I loved Sam.

:psycho:

:beckettd: :mckayrolleyes: :vala-newanime016:

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob

I have actually wondered for a long time if the character of Dr. Weir would have been more interesting if Jessica Steen had continued playing her. I love the Lost City episodes of SG1. I find her really compelling as Dr. Weir.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I still don't understand everybody's problem with Keller, I quite liked her character (ok granted I had a stonker every time J.Staite was on screen but that's by-the-by)

Her character wasn't enough to put me off the show (as I was never put off it) & neither was the writing. TPTB came unstuck with their shite writing in SGU & their refusal to admit to their folly. Please stop having a maxi-pad moment about Keller people! She really wasn't that bad............... she never got infected by Scott!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

This bold bit is exactly why I didn't like Carter in SGA. I would have much preferred it if Weir was left in charge of Atlantis, or, if she did have to go for some reason or another, go sraight to Woolsey (esp considering what he had already previously gone through on Atlantis anyway). For 10 years the chararacter of Carter was built up by AT and in 1 year (well, what was it 12 eps?) they dumbed her down for the sake of the other characters to be no where near the Carter I loved from SG-1.

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
I still don't understand everybody's problem with Keller, I quite liked her character (ok granted I had a stonker every time J.Staite was on screen but that's by-the-by)

Her character wasn't enough to put me off the show (as I was never put off it) & neither was the writing. TPTB came unstuck with their shite writing in SGU & their refusal to admit to their folly. Please stop having a maxi-pad moment about Keller people! She really wasn't that bad............... she never got infected by Scott!

OK I admit it. I like Dr. Keller. And don't hate me everyone, I really like Keller and McKay as a couple. The talent of David Hewlett turned a weasel-ish, unrelate-able jerk into a multi-dimensional human being that made me root for him over and over. I was really happy for him when he found someone that could not only stand being around him, but fell in love with him. I'm a sucker for romance. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Carter had a great moment when she gave Ellis a grilling for disrespecting McKay.

That is very true. If you sit down and really critique Carter in SGA, you tend to notice that whenever she is in a group situation, she melds into the furniture, but when it is just her and someone else, the "old spitfire" Carter tends to come out alot more.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Do you think that is because she had a lack of scenes with action in then. We are more used to seeing her in that type of role.

Hmm, could have been. However even in Mckays "technobabble scenes" she still tended to just stay in the background or just sorta nod her head and go "great idea Rodney" or provide minimal input of her own which sorta irked me.

stclare

OK I admit it. I like Dr. Keller. And don't hate me everyone, I really like Keller and McKay as a couple. The talent of David Hewlett turned a weasel-ish, unrelate-able jerk into a multi-dimensional human being that made me root for him over and over. I was really happy for him when he found someone that could not only stand being around him, but fell in love with him. I'm a sucker for romance. :)

I liked mckeller too! but i also agree with those which felt that it was forced. I would have liked there to have been more subtle overtunes of there relashionship after trio. I dont mean lots of screen time but a moment here and there of them together building up to season 5 slowly. The love triangle was just ridiculous IMHO and realy pissed me off. But I liked them together.

And yes I love David hewlett and have done since he was in Cube such a great film.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I liked mckeller too! but i also agree with those which felt that it was forced. I would have liked there to have been more subtle overtunes of there relashionship after trio. I dont mean lots of screen time but a moment here and there of them together building up to season 5 slowly. The love triangle was just ridiculous IMHO and realy pissed me off. But I liked them together.

And yes I love David hewlett and have done since he was in Cube such a great film.

Everytime I saw Mckay and keller together I would get a squicky feeling... like he's some child-molesting pervert going after a sweet young thing. :P gag me...he was too old and immature for her. I actually liked him with Katie.