SG-1 Season 08: General Discussion Thread

S

Stonelesscutter

One of my favourite season 8 episodes has got to be "Avatar", the episode where Teal'c is strapped into a game chair to test a new training medium for sg personnel.
It's different from the average sg-1 episode.
Teal'c has to endure some real hardship in this one and is pretty much broken in the end.
The video game aspect also speaks to me.
If ever we got to have "Stargate Worlds" to play... sigh.

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
Season Eight had a lot of Powerful episodes. New Order 1 & 2 with the replicators, Rekoning 1 & 2 with the Jaffa, Threads with Daniel and Anubis and Moebius at the end.

S

Stonelesscutter

Moebius was pretty funny with Carter and Jackson playing even geekier versions of themselves :D
Also it was nice to see Jack out in the field again even if just for a bit.
He had some nice moments as a general but really he's better of kicking alien butt with a smile.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, been watching through and while watching these irritating replicator ep's (with "Fifth" and the Repli Carter) I've noticed some direct contradictions/ incongruousness between what some of you have said about BSG and other shows you like (vs not being so fond of BSG)

Some of your issues with BSG were "machines (cylons/skin jobs) with feelings--emotions, physical pain" and how it helped made BSG unwatchable.

So, have we forgotten about these repli. ep's? Hmm? Conveniently stowed away in a dark recess of an otherwise happy sg1 memories in your amygdala?

Fifth tells the human carter he has "feelings" for her. later he gets mad (an emotion) when he realizes her betrayal.

The repli carter asks to be destroyed with the O'Neill designed ancient repli zapper. She doesn't want to "live" anymore, she is "conflicted" (another emotion?) over fifth's plans. She wants to be zapped because she says it is "painless". When asked if she feels pain she says (to the effect of) "i feel what you would call pain". she plots a double deceit-fueled by anger and revenge (emotions)

So how can machines, made up of metal links feel pain or emotion? At least in BSG, the skinjobs are a bit more organic with internal organs and brains, etc. The centurions we are told, have adapted their meta cognitive processors into a type of a "soul"-they are capable of "feeling" "cylon pain".

So, seeing how these sg1 eps came out in 2005, is it just possible that sg1 tptb's were copying the success (At the time) of BSG? Is it possible that as a hardcore sg1 fan then some of you may have realized this as a possibility? It angered you that you fav show was borrowing from an upstart show? Is this what may have caused you to "forget" that these ep's and what transpired in them, were nearly identical to some of the BSG skinjob 'machines feeling pain/emotions' paradigms?

Just sayin'
:encouragement:

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I thought the other human form replicators referred to Fifth as "a mistake". Been a while since I've seen that one though.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I thought the other human form replicators referred to Fifth as "a mistake". Been a while since I've seen that one though.
that was before Sam and sg1 lied to him and punked him out

he got all hard core after that. abducted sam and made a repli sam

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The premise of AI (artificial intelligence) becoming "human" is as old as scifi. In fact, robots were at first described in science fiction as being flesh and blood creatures, humans basically but without volition and freedom. Then they were described as metallic machines. Regardless of the description there's always been stories about robots (androids, whatever) seeking to become human and/or autonomous creatures that can reproduce in some fashion. Often the goal has been to become human though. "Mr. Data" from TNG is one example of what I mean.

So, basically, the question of who first came up with the idea of making robots human, SG-1 or BSG, is moot. The premise had originated long before either show came into existence. Hell, one could argue that it's lazy writing on both parts if you want to get right down to it.

And as for the Replicators, they were over used (more lazy writing). The same thing happened in ST with the Borg. Lazy writing and production in those instances. Instead of coming up with something new and original the writers just fell back on milking an enemy that the props department had costumes for (or CGI templates in the case of the Replicators).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The premise of AI (artificial intelligence) becoming "human" is as old as scifi. In fact, robots were at first described in science fiction as being flesh and blood creatures, humans basically but without volition and freedom. Then they were described as metallic machines. Regardless of the description there's always been stories about robots (androids, whatever) seeking to become human and/or autonomous creatures that can reproduce in some fashion. Often the goal has been to become human though. "Mr. Data" from TNG is one example of what I mean.

So, basically, the question of who first came up with the idea of making robots human, SG-1 or BSG, is moot. The premise had originated long before either show came into existence. Hell, one could argue that it's lazy writing on both parts if you want to get right down to it.

And as for the Replicators, they were over used (more lazy writing). The same thing happened in ST with the Borg. Lazy writing and production in those instances. Instead of coming up with something new and original the writers just fell back on milking an enemy that the props department had costumes for (or CGI templates in the case of the Replicators).

i know...

not saying on "who came up with the idea (sg1 or bsg) first" but rather, did the sg1 tptb try to copy bsg's success of the time? We have more 'evidence' of this bsg copy with the whole premise (nearly) of SGU. So we know the idea of doing this was in the "dns" of sg1/sg tptb.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So here is a thought--random and mostly not important but; Why doesn't anyone ever dial the DHD with both hands? Even under fire or in a time crunch, they still plod along one hand at a time.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i know...

not saying on "who came up with the idea (sg1 or bsg) first" but rather, did the sg1 tptb try to copy bsg's success of the time? We have more 'evidence' of this bsg copy with the whole premise (nearly) of SGU. So we know the idea of doing this was in the "dns" of sg1/sg tptb.

They copied more from Trek than BSG. Right after the cancellation of the last Trek series Enterprise, suddenly the SGC starts having starships, and with them and the Asgard tech they wrote in, those ships suddenly had phasers...er, "Asgard Beam Weapons", hyperspace, beaming, and of course, those ships now had bridges and Captains. There were no plans for a new Trek series and Voyager had ended its run so Brad stole ideas and integrated them. Then he did it again with SGU by copying the flavor of BSG and even the style and music. I think that seasons 1-6 of SG-1 were the best ones.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They copied more from Trek than BSG. Right after the cancellation of the last Trek series Enterprise, suddenly the SGC starts having starships, and with them and the Asgard tech they wrote in, those ships suddenly had phasers...er, "Asgard Beam Weapons", hyperspace, beaming, and of course, those ships now had bridges and Captains. There were no plans for a new Trek series and Voyager had ended its run so Brad stole ideas and integrated them. Then he did it again with SGU by copying the flavor of BSG and even the style and music. I think that seasons 1-6 of SG-1 were the best ones.

the point is they copied-what and whoever. they ran out of ideas to progress and borrowed as they saw fit. yes, sg1 should have ended with S6, they could have easily worked in things like Ba'al and the Ori into Atlantis. Wouldn't it have been interesting to have seen an alliance of Ba'al's remnant forces, Atlantis and the Wraith allied against the Ori? I think so.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the point is they copied-what and whoever. they ran out of ideas to progress and borrowed as they saw fit. yes, sg1 should have ended with S6, they could have easily worked in things like Ba'al and the Ori into Atlantis. Wouldn't it have been interesting to have seen an alliance of Ba'al's remnant forces, Atlantis and the Wraith allied against the Ori? I think so.

When you look at the entire span, what Brad did was the quivalent of what some cooks do when they "fix things up". They take a pre-prepared dish, then add things here and there to make it appear homemade. Brad never had a single original idea in any of the Stargate series. Not in SG-1, not in Atlantis or SGU. He merely took existing ideas and tweaked them a bit to get his "original" material. He stole from Trek, BSG. What a wanker!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

When you look at the entire span, what Brad did was the quivalent of what some cooks do when they "fix things up". They take a pre-prepared dish, then add things here and there to make it appear homemade. Brad never had a single original idea in any of the Stargate series. Not in SG-1, not in Atlantis or SGU. He merely took existing ideas and tweaked them a bit to get his "original" material. He stole from Trek, BSG. What a wanker!

Yes, yes and yes. :daniel_new_anime021:

The whole Star Trek rip-off was ghastly. I remember watching SG-1 and going "WTF???" when they suddenly started beaming people down to various planets. :rolleyes:

And like you said, BW didn't use anything original in terms of a premise when it came to Stargate. The whole idea of sinister and/or benign parasites taking over bodies is as old as scifi. Everything form Invasion of the Body Snatchers to Dark Skies to STDS9 have done that one. It's hardly original and most certainly not risky when it comes to using it as a premise.

By the time SGU rolled around though good old Brad couldn't keep us from figuring out that the emperor had no clothes. ;)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

well the beaming tech was around in sg1 for quite awhile-since the intro of the Asgard. so at least "brad' 'stole' from whoever came up with that

like i said earlier, it seems to me, while watching so many eps back to back, that the 'best' ones seem to be the ones that the DeLuise brothers either produced,wrote, directed or consulted on. and there were quite a few-especially earlier seasons. hell, they even acted in some of them.

in one of the slightly self deprecating eps of season 9 or 10 (not the wormhole extreme thing or the one where farscape characters are shown) they even make reference to eureka. i didn'tg et to it yet, but from what i remember; dr lee and some other techie are working on some problem in the sgc, carter and someone else are talking about sgc budget cuts with money going to atlantis. this conversation is at the time and in the same room as dr lee and his partner. when Carter's companion asks something about "what's the main thing wrong in getting money?" Dr lee and the other 'solve' their issue and say "Eureka" as if in answer to the other question. all the characters then give a brief smirk and move on. when i get to it i'll let you know.

I wish when ppl 'borrowed' ideas and plotlines they would make it a "combined" thing, like reference the other show outright in script, in sg1, for example Carter could have said " i was working on this problem and then i remembered what happened in (show X) and it gave me an idea". anything other then outright laziness would be better.