SG-1 Season 01: General Discussion Thread

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So instead of starting a new thread, i thought i would resurrect this one

decided to re-watch via amazon prime-they have sg1 and sga

i had this question when i first watched it over a year ago-i asked it at syfy-no one had anything reasonable in answer

Why does everyone speak and understand English? Among all the human descended and populated planets we see ppl from Egypt, Norway/Scandinavia and Mongolia among others.

This means they should be speaking some dialect of their original language

But they all understand and speak english

I know that this can be easily fluffed off by saying they didn't want to confuse the script with other languages and translation problems

they could have wrote in a universal translator ("maybe something in the gate?) or do something like FARSCAPE did where we see Crichton "learn" all the languages with, what was it an injection or something

i just think with all the other detail they pay attention to we could have gotten something like an explanation.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
just finished rewatch of Solitudes-was always one of my favorites of S1 as well as Enigma and Torment of Tantalus

glad they cleaned out most of the "cheese" after S1 too

Notice how this show and others that started on HBO-SHOWTIME, etc were made with commercial tv in mind? that is there run times allow for the standard amount of commercials to add up to one hour. It would have been quite nice if the showtime seasons of SG1 would have been made with more scenes and damn the commercial slots....

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yes, the language thing has always bugged me. They did little to explain it but most people didn't seem to care. Drove me nuts how everyone on every planet they visited spoke the King's english and also lived in a renaissance fair setting. :rolleyes:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
While they could have done more to explain the languages, it still was entertaining. At least (unlike a lot of other Sci Fi shows) they had a logical explanation for why almost all of the worlds they visited were inhabited by humans - and it didn't involve putting rubber foreheads on otherwise normal looking people and calling them aliens.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Another "nit pick" for ya'...

in an ep in i think season 3-there was a situation where there was no dhd to get home (they solved it and found one later). that made me think of ep1 seas 1..how did apothsis and teal'c dial out of the sgc to get back to their world? at first i thought that they had a handheld device but no..later on abydos we see apothsis using the dhd to dial, and when they leave chulac with skara and the other new go'auld's-once again they use the dhd

was the "how they dialed" after the sgc attack ever explained? or was this just some type of oversight?