Scientists warn that aliens may come to destroy us

heisenberg

Earl Grey
group of scientists have released a study warning against contacting aliens for fear of them flying to Earth and destroying us all. Are these researchers watching too much science fiction?There have been 20-30 major Hollywood alien apocalypse movies released in the last year or so, and more are on the way. They’re unavoidable. Some of them are cataloged here, but there are almost too many to count. As such, it’s no wonder that scientists have hostile aliens on the brain. Several researchers have released a study that says there is a good chance aliens will come and wipe us out if they think we’re irresponsible, expanding too quickly, or a number of other reasons, reports the IB Times. The researchers point to humanity’s own history of hostility toward unfamiliar humans, chimpanzees, and gorillas as evidence.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/scientists-warn-that-aliens-may-come-to-destroy-us/

:laughing:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
it is quite possible tho if they come here they likly would have come to take our resources... and as such have no need for pesky lil humans..

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Meh, zombie hoards will wipe us out long before aliens get here.

Tropicana

Council Member
I must say, any aliens capable of travelling from their homeworld to ours, would more than likely be capable of destroying us; just like if we were able to, we would be able to destroy their homeworld.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Any aliens capable of traveling from their world to ours would probably realize that they can get more out of asteroids and comets with less effort than fighting a bunch of evolved apes for water and whatever other resources they want to pull from the ground. Such an advanced race with eons of technological advancement can probably reconstitute water from hydrogen and oxygen, extract it from planetoids and from comets. The only thing I can see is perhaps food.

Still, if we're able to take fecal matter from sewage and turn it into edible steak and we're still in our technological infancy, I highly doubt any race advanced enough to cross the vast distance between our world and theirs would be flying around the universe starving:

http://www.dailytech.com/Japanese+Make+Delicious+Nourishing+Steaks+From+Human+Feces/article21932.htm

S

Stonelesscutter

Any aliens capable of traveling from their world to ours would probably realize that they can get more out of asteroids and comets with less effort than fighting a bunch of evolved apes for water and whatever other resources they want to pull from the ground. Such an advanced race with eons of technological advancement can probably reconstitute water from hydrogen and oxygen, extract it from planetoids and from comets. The only thing I can see is perhaps food.

I bet humans make for a great food supply. :D

Still, if we're able to take fecal matter from sewage and turn it into edible steak and we're still in our technological infancy, I highly doubt any race advanced enough to cross the vast distance between our world and theirs would be flying around the universe starving:

http://www.dailytech.com/Japanese+Make+Delicious+Nourishing+Steaks+From+Human+Feces/article21932.htm

:puke:
No more steak for me.. :)

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Remember everyone, when they come to destroy us, it was all ^his fault. Right?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Of course, knowing our own governmental/world paranoia, we wouldn't welcome an extraterrestrial visitor with the hand of friendship. We'd capture them and vivisect them, after, of course, torturing them (in a non-US location by non-US forces, so we could truthfully claim that Americans don't use torture) to find out whatever information we could.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
NOBODY "explores" for knowledge. Not a single culture on earth explores unless they have a reason and usually that is resources. EVERY culture that has "explored" has ended up invadind and then conquering the new found lands and plundering their resources. So, who would any alien culture go gallivanting across the galaxy unless they were LOOKING FOR SOMETHING?

Animals migrate to escape inhospitable weather, OR to seek new resources/mates and nothing else. The only somewhat benevolent situation I could imagine is a refugee situation where an alien race lost their homeworld and was stuck in space looking for a planet like Earth.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
You assume that an Alien race would have the same thought patterns as us. Exploring might be their entertainment; it might be that gathering knowledge of the unknown is worth far more to them then it would seem to us. To assume that a different race from a different planet would share even the most basic conceptual beliefs is probably a mistake.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
You assume that an Alien race would have the same thought patterns as us. Exploring might be their entertainment; it might be that gathering knowledge of the unknown is worth far more to them then it would seem to us. To assume that a different race from a different planet would share even the most basic conceptual beliefs is probably a mistake.

You're right, but there's also a certain amount of chance of what overmind says. Of course figuring out which chances are higher is more difficult. But one think I don't think anyone wants to chance is human nature. You just know the 'rich bastards and politicians' will find someway to screw us over in their attempts to 'control/mediate/benefit from' the situation.

G

Graybrew1

You're right, but there's also a certain amount of chance of what overmind says. Of course figuring out which chances are higher is more difficult. But one think I don't think anyone wants to chance is human nature. You just know the 'rich bastards and politicians' will find someway to screw us over in their attempts to 'control/mediate/benefit from' the situation.

This is sad, but probably true.:rolleyes:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
NOBODY "explores" for knowledge. Not a single culture on earth explores unless they have a reason and usually that is resources. EVERY culture that has "explored" has ended up invadind and then conquering the new found lands and plundering their resources. So, who would any alien culture go gallivanting across the galaxy unless they were LOOKING FOR SOMETHING?

Animals migrate to escape inhospitable weather, OR to seek new resources/mates and nothing else. The only somewhat benevolent situation I could imagine is a refugee situation where an alien race lost their homeworld and was stuck in space looking for a planet like Earth.

Though it is possible, I would think they're not necessarily out to pillage. Conquering is one possibility. Trading is another.