Samsung recalls Galaxy Note 7

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2778...rts-samsung-quick-fix-note-7-no-full-recharge

Ouch!

With a recall involving over 2.5 million of their most expensive phones, this is going to be hugely expensive. Then there is a big damage done to the Samsung brand. It all seems to go down to a Li-Ion manufacturing defect from one of their Galaxy Note suppliers.

At this point, a not unexpected thing is happening in the smartphone world: saturation. Apple no longer innovates, Samsung no longer offers a less expensive alternative equivalent to the Apple experience, and there is really no compelling reason to upgrade to the next model other than special incentives and/or promotions from carriers.

Regarding this Samsung thing, batteries that catch fire are very serious! Much more high profile than the shattering iPhones, antennagate (iPhone) or other various snafus. I stopped buying Samsung when they went Apple on me. :) Sealed batteries, voiding of warranty if you root, forced silent updates, and rising prices for incremental upgrades? No thanks!

I do have an iPhone 6S for work, and it is a competent enough phone with many cool features, but it still feels very limited compared to my now dated LG G2. I have to carry both phones, but I grab my LG G2 98% of the time.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2778...rts-samsung-quick-fix-note-7-no-full-recharge

Ouch!

With a recall involving over 2.5 million of their most expensive phones, this is going to be hugely expensive. Then there is a big damage done to the Samsung brand. It all seems to go down to a Li-Ion manufacturing defect from one of their Galaxy Note suppliers.
Lithium is quite dangerous when exposed to air or moisture given that it's an alkali metal, which is why it's stored in oil. This is why they say NEVER to open a battery that is lithium because it explode when exposed to water.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
At this point, a not unexpected thing is happening in the smartphone world: saturation. Apple no longer innovates, Samsung no longer offers a less expensive alternative equivalent to the Apple experience, and there is really no compelling reason to upgrade to the next model other than special incentives and/or promotions from carriers.

Regarding this Samsung thing, batteries that catch fire are very serious! Much more high profile than the shattering iPhones, antennagate (iPhone) or other various snafus. I stopped buying Samsung when they went Apple on me. :) Sealed batteries, voiding of warranty if you root, forced silent updates, and rising prices for incremental upgrades? No thanks!

I do have an iPhone 6S for work, and it is a competent enough phone with many cool features, but it still feels very limited compared to my now dated LG G2. I have to carry both phones, but I grab my LG G2 98% of the time.
There is already innovative technology available or that is rapidly growing(such as Li-fi, and/or 5G).Though you are right, most phones do their jobs for most people, but phones these days aren't for innovation but as a fashion/status symbol which is why people buy it every year. Though you are jumping the gun a little to say that not many are buying it - though the new iphones received a bad PR, it still managed to sellout
https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/15/iphone-7-plus-and-jet-black-iphone-7-sold-out/

Sealed batteries are now a common thing on most OEM products, and this includes things such as laptops, mobile devices.

http://gizmodo.com/your-new-galaxy-s6-will-have-a-built-in-expiration-date-1688853343

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The iPhone 7 is more an incremental upgrade across the board, but the larger battery plus doubling the onboard storage seem to be driving the sales upswing. I also agree about the "fashion symbol" effect, as if all people wanted their phone to do was phone, calendar, email, messaging then Blackberry would still rule the roost.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Snookie is in withdrawal....her phone was recalled... she'll live even though she's not sure. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Snookie is in withdrawal....her phone was recalled... she'll live even though she's not sure. :P

I used to swear by my Samsung Galaxy phones, now I just swear AT them. :) They took user control away like Apple does. If you root them to take control, your warranty is voided at the Samsung level and you cannot upgrade or service the phone. Screw that when you pay over $600.00 for one.