S06E14 - "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe" (S32E14) *Christmas Special*

Tropicana

Council Member
dwxs.jpg

Synopsis:

The Time Lord crash-lands on Earth during the Second World War, where he tries to make sure two unfortunate evacuees and their mother have the best Christmas ever. He transports them to a magical land dominated by an enchanted forest - but that is when their troubles really begin.

Preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSiULL4wCKg

Airdates:

UK: BBC One, Sunday 25 December 2011, 7PM

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Honestly, I didn't think it was the best Christmas special ever. There was just nothing really special about it, IMO. Also, the beginning with the Doctor surviving for such a long period of time in the vacuum of space really strained my suspension of disbelief more than usual with a Doctor Who episode. Granted there could've been an air corridor there, but it just feels way too convenient. The end with the Ponds was probably the highlight of the entire episode. Some goods lines in there too though. But all in all, a fairly average episode.

Thinking about it, this is probably how I'd rank all the Christmas specials together:

A Christmas Carol (2010)
Voyage of the Damned (2007)
The Christmas Invasion (2005)
The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe (2011)
The Next Doctor (2008)
The End of Time (2009)
The Runaway Bride (2006)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
So now the Doctor can scream in the vacuum of space? :P

This episode was "meh" for me. The x-mas present portal and the tree people were sort of cool but the rest of it fell flat.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I saw it as he screamed while still in the sir blast out of the ship. As to surviving in space remember he is a Timelord not a human. It was established in previous Who that they have a backup respiratory system and can exist in a vacuum longer than humans.

I did not mind the episode - it was a whimsical sort of holiday themed fantasy and worked well on that level. Really I am glad they chose not to go dark and moody on Christmas.

Oh, and End of Time was HORRIBLE. Quite possibly the single worst piece of televised science fiction in history.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Typical saccharine Dr. Who episode/special (is there a difference really?). No children got hurt and Matt Smith got to pick up another paycheck. Meh.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Christmas specials are lighter and should be. They are also more whimsical and again should be.

Not everything has to be dark and gloomy - in fact I would contend that a major problem in recent scifi has been getting TOO dark and moody. Who has been refreshing especially under Matt Smith and Steven Moffat precisely because it has taken a less gloomy path. That's not to say no one dies or such - plenty have. And there was plenty of VERY dark episodes this last season, but the tone of the show overall is not moody which is good.

It will also be interesting to see how the doctor staging his own death (in the finale) to try to fix the problem that his fame and legend are causing across the cosmos works out. It is a good idea but may prove hard to maintain.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
So now the Doctor can scream in the vacuum of space? :P

This episode was "meh" for me. The x-mas present portal and the tree people were sort of cool but the rest of it fell flat.

Yeah, that kind of turned me off, too.

Bluce Ree

I saw it as he screamed while still in the sir blast out of the ship. As to surviving in space remember he is a Timelord not a human. It was established in previous Who that they have a backup respiratory system and can exist in a vacuum longer than humans.

I did not mind the episode - it was a whimsical sort of holiday themed fantasy and worked well on that level. Really I am glad they chose not to go dark and moody on Christmas.

Oh, and End of Time was HORRIBLE. Quite possibly the single worst piece of televised science fiction in history.

There was an old episode of Doctor Who that first established their ability to survive exposure to space for a short time. It was an episode called "Four to Doomsday" from the Peter Davison era (5th incarnation) where he bounced a cricket ball against the hull of a ship to push himself through space towards the TARDIS. I recall something about Timelords being able to survive exposure to space for a short period holding their breath.

Bluce Ree

What made The Doctor think it was a good idea to give children an inter-dimensional portal to another planet? And, when he realized the planet was hostile, snowy and the temperature was below freezing, why did he pull the little girl through with him in her PJ and slippers?

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
There was an old episode of Doctor Who that first established their ability to survive exposure to space for a short time. It was an episode called "Four to Doomsday" from the Peter Davison era (5th incarnation) where he bounced a cricket ball against the hull of a ship to push himself through space towards the TARDIS. I recall something about Timelords being able to survive exposure to space for a short period holding their breath.

Was the 5th doctor able to scream whilst holding his breath in outer space? :roll: :facepalm: :P

I didn't hate this episode but it's not something I feel I need to see again like some of the other Christmas ones. ESA's list is close but I would move this one down a few pegs.

Bluce Ree

Worse than Dimensions in Time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqWYOdlXzJM