S06E03 - "Curse Of The Black Spot" (S32E03)

Tropicana

Council Member
603.png

Synopsis:

The TARDIS is stranded onboard a 17th-century pirate ship whose crew is being attacked by a mysterious and beautiful sea creature, called a Siren.

Preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeNqZ97xrN8

Airdates:

UK: BBC One, Saturday 07 May 2011, 6:15PM
US: BBC America, Saturday 07 May 2011, 9PM/8PM Central
CAN: Space, Saturday 07 May 2011, 8PM/7PM Central
AUS: ABC 1, Saturday 14 May 2011, 7:30PM

Official DW Page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0110g4b

Tropicana

Council Member
Just watched the episode, very interesting and a nice twist in the story I must admit; I was not expecting it at all. Amy looked so good in pirate's outfit and the Siren (played by Lily Cole) - so beautiful.

I'm currently watching Dr. Who Confidential atm on BBC Three. If you've never seen it, it's a behind the scenes episode that is shown every week, talking about the filming of the week's episode, what the cast and crew thought, how it was filmed, how it was directed. Very insightful. Not sure if Dr Who Confidential is shown in the U.S/Canada or not.

EDIT:

Oh yes, another dig at SGU's lack of evolution of the English language; in this episode, the Doctor talks about the Tardis' sensors but the Pirate Captain had no idea what he was on about, with which the Doctor responds with an acknowledgement that the word didn't exist back then.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
hehe...great episode this! Though, the only thing that bothered me was the swords.They were cheaply made(looked like tin or something)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Indeed, great and fun episode. In tone it hearkened back a bit to "The Empty Child / Doctor Dances". I especially liked the discovery of what the siren really was, and also the development of both Amy and Rory. He literally put his life in her hands and they are closer than ever.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Doctor Who saw its ratings rise last night as the third episode of the new series, The Curse of the Black Spot, topped 6 million viewers.

The episode was on slightly later than the previous which launched the sixth season as The Curse of the Black Spot went out at 6.15 instead of 6pm. It seems that has made some difference to the viewing figures as an average of 6.2 million viewers watched the episode with a peak of 6.7 million viewers. The weather also played some part in the higher ratings as it was as bright or sunny across the country as previous weekends. The awful new game-show Don't Scare the Hare even managed to break the 2 million mark last night but we doubt that will be enough to save it. Once final figures are taken into account in ten days time the ratings for The Curse of the Black Spot will rise somewhat. Final figures for the opening episode, The Impossible Astronaut, added over 2 million viewers to the overnight figures and that doesn't include the 1.5 million who downloaded it via the IPlayer. So Doctor Who still has mass pulling power just viewers aren't opting to watch it via its stupidly early time-slot.

ratings were at 6 million.

http://www.atvtoday.co.uk/index.php...ack-spot-ratings&catid=2:cult-sci-fi&Itemid=5

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Pretty fun episode, especially the beginning when the doctor meets the crew, lol.

Who was the chick that Amy briefly saw? I forget where it was but like a wooden compartment opened and some lady popped out of there saying everything will be all right or something? Who was that?

Tropicana

Council Member
Pretty fun episode, especially the beginning when the doctor meets the crew, lol.

Who was the chick that Amy briefly saw? I forget where it was but like a wooden compartment opened and some lady popped out of there saying everything will be all right or something? Who was that?
That's the mystery, we first saw the lady with the eye patch during the 2nd episode and now she shows up here again. Let's hope we start getting some answers soon.

B

Backstep

That's the mystery, we first saw the lady with the eye patch during the 2nd episode and now she shows up here again. Let's hope we start getting some answers soon.

The door with the sliding hatch and what the lady says, gives the feel of Institutional Hospital

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Finals put Curse of the Black Spot right at the 8 million mark.