Rumour: Star Trek TNG Season 1 Bluray is Going to Be Expensive!(Confirmed!)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The highly anticipated release of, the remastered version of Star Trek TNG, is going to raise a few eyebrows if the rumours are true. Rumour has it, the bluray release of Star trek will cost around £51(GBP).That's around 81 USD. Though this story should be taken as a grain of rice.Meanwhile, Amazon.co.uk has the release date for this bluray release 23 July 2012.Below is a comparison between the bluray version to the standard definition version Enjoy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHUQ3aGLa5Q Read more at Trekweb

More...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
A wounded bull has no chance of charging more than Paramount when it comes to Trek, it's why you may or may not have ever noticed a distinct lack of Trek in my DVD collection :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WHY do these studios and consumers believe that Blu-Ray is all that? Just effing LOL! I was at a friend's house shortly after Christmas last year, and he had invited several people over and we watched Avatar. About 15 minutes in, he said "Doesnt anybody notice how exceptionally clear this is?". And we were all "yeah, it looks great". Then he threw out there that it was Blu Ray. Really? Not all that different to me. Certainly not worth the premium to buy BluRay discs and players. What is the big deal about Blu Ray?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
BluRay is not sufficiently clearer than ordinary DVD to justify the pricing. In fact it is not all that clearer than streaming over Roku (where I can get all the SNG episodes right now as part of Netflix).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BluRay is not sufficiently clearer than ordinary DVD to justify the pricing. In fact it is not all that clearer than streaming over Roku (where I can get all the SNG episodes right now as part of Netflix).

I agree. The Roku is a great little device. Kicks the AppleTV device all over the street and laughs while doing it. :). I was at Fry's today just less than an hour ago, and looked at the BluRay version of Shrek. WOW, amazingly detailed and rich in color and sharpness, but guess what? The HD version playing on a true 1080p HD TV looked the same. Even only 8 inches away from the screen! Not enough difference to make the extra $100 above the price of an HD capable DVD-HD player, and certainly not worth the cost of buying BluRay over DVD. The "higher end" is an illusion. Technology has eliminated the advantages of "high end" over middle offerings when it comes to DVD and HD video. The TV however is still a HUGE part of the picture. With a great HD TV with full 1080p, you are going to get a better picture than if it were only 720p, and you will be able to easily notice the difference. But the transition from DVD-HD to Blue Ray? Not very noticeable to me.

Reminds me of the reality of watches. :) The very best digital watch keeps no better time than a $1.00 watch bought in the 99c store. Not only that, but the very best Swiss-made mechanical watch crafted by Swiss families who have been doing it for generations still cannot make a mechanical watch AS accurate as any digital watch, no matter how they make the movement of the watch or what they make the parts from (gold, silver, platinum, magnesium, etc). But there are people who still think they are getting a better watch if it has Bvulgari on it. They are getting the name, and the style and the cachet of Bvulgari, but they are not getting a better WATCH. BluRay is just not all that.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I tend to think of Apple TV like the iPad and iPhone - all three remind me of the final part of that video review we rewatched where the Plinkett character compares the overdone and overlong lightsaber duel at the end of Revenge of the Sith to a middle aged balding man who buys a Lamborghini - same psychology at work.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
WHY do these studios and consumers believe that Blu-Ray is all that? Just effing LOL! I was at a friend's house shortly after Christmas last year, and he had invited several people over and we watched Avatar. About 15 minutes in, he said "Doesnt anybody notice how exceptionally clear this is?". And we were all "yeah, it looks great". Then he threw out there that it was Blu Ray. Really? Not all that different to me. Certainly not worth the premium to buy BluRay discs and players. What is the big deal about Blu Ray?

:teyla_ditto:

we don't have a huge tv so I see no need for blu-ray!

and that's discounted might I add. Paramount really likes to milk TNG...

or any of the treks which is why we own very few seasons of the various series...I'm thrifty, cheap, okay i admit it- stingy as all get-out! ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm with you guys. Blu-Ray just doesn't seem so magnificent that I can tell a difference in quality. It's certainly not significant enough for viewing purposes that it merits a higher price point in my opinion (and we all know how everyone here hangs on my opinion).

G

Graybrew1

I agree. The Roku is a great little device. Kicks the AppleTV device all ofer the street and laughs while doing it. :). I was at Fry's today just less than an hour ago, and looked at the BluRay version of Shrek. WOW, amazingly detailed and rich in color and sharpness, but guess what? The HD version playing on a true 1080p HD TV looked the same. Even only 8 inches away from the screen! Not enough difference to make the extra $100 above the price of an HD capable DVD-HD player, and certainly not worth the cost of buying BluRay over DVD. The "higher end" is an illusion. Technology has eliminated the advantages of "high end" over middle offerings when it comes to DVD and HD video. The TV however is still a HUGE part of the picture. With a great HD TV with full 1080p, you are going to get a better picture than if it were only 720p, and you will be able to easily notice the difference. But the transition from DVD-HD to Blue Ray? Not very noticeable to me.

Reminds me of the reality of watches. :) The very best digital watch keeps no better time than a $1.00 watch bought in the 99c store. Not only that, but the very best Swiss-made mechanical watch crafted by Swiss families who have been doing it for generations still cannot make a mechanical watch AS accurate as any digital watch, no matter how they make the movement of the watch or what they make the parts from (gold, silver, platinum, magnesium, etc). But there are people who still think they are getting a better watch if it has Bvulgari on it. They are getting the name, and the style and the cachet of Bvulgari, but they are not getting a better WATCH. BluRay is just not all that.
I have them both and I think they both have their ups and downs.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Actually, I've watched stuff in 1080p/720p vs standard definition and there is a significant difference. Picture is a lot clearer, it's a lot sharper etc...It all depends on what medium you watch it in...However, the price they charge is ridiculous I'll admit to that. Trust me, watching the BBC- Life on bluray is different compared to watching it in standard definition.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Actually, I've watched stuff in 1080p/720p vs standard definition and there is a significant difference. Picture is a lot clearer, it's a lot sharper etc...It all depends on what medium you watch it in...However, the price they charge is ridiculous I'll admit to that. Trust me, watching the BBC- Life on bluray is different compared to watching it in standard definition.

That, along with Planet Earth, is probably one of the best documentaries I've ever seen. There are some truly stunning images in those series, and they do look even more fantastic in HD.