Robotech/ Macross saga

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Continuing on with Anime, here is a classic from my childhood that is still good today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjM8PbTw5tU

Enjoy!!

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Why? It's a relatively harmless show....
Heh, if only it was on the internet. Seriously, there are plenty of annoyingly loud mouthed people on various forums with a bee in their bonnet about how Robotech somehow diminishes Macross or how Harmony Gold blocks the sale of Macross products in the US and stuff like that. Which is kinda sad, since I much prefer how Robotech turned out overall to the direction Macross took after Plus.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Heh, if only it was on the internet. Seriously, there are plenty of annoyingly loud mouthed people on various forums with a bee in their bonnet about how Robotech somehow diminishes Macross or how Harmony Gold blocks the sale of Macross products in the US and stuff like that. Which is kinda sad, since I much prefer how Robotech turned out overall to the direction Macross took after Plus.

Huh?
how does that work? YT has nearly all the eps for the first saga in single file format (like the one I posted), so they might as well be giving the show away, or are you talking about "merhandise" type stuff?

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Huh?
how does that work? YT has nearly all the eps for the first saga in single file format (like the one I posted), so they might as well be giving the show away, or are you talking about "merhandise" type stuff?
Well, there's more than one Macross show out there. Robotech happens to incorporate the first show with some alterations to fit in with the other three shows used to make it and to conform to the standards of 1980s syndicated animation. These other shows aren't really sold over here for a number of reasons: Harmony Gold has the distribution rights to Macross in the west (IIRC), most of the shows heavily involve music and would have really expensive licensing fees, and the plots of most of the Macross shows don't really appeal to Western scifi fans, denying the show a wider audience that is necessary for it to survive overseas.

Robotech, for all its faults and weaknesses, does have a plot that appeals to Western audiences: an epic tale of humanity rising up and overcoming terrible wars that constantly bring humanity to the brink of destruction. All the Macross shows produced after Macross Plus have roughly this plot: colony fleet defeats incredibly powerful enemy through the use of music/love/whatever and humanity becomes ever more unstoppable.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, there's more than one Macross show out there. Robotech happens to incorporate the first show with some alterations to fit in with the other three shows used to make it and to conform to the standards of 1980s syndicated animation. These other shows aren't really sold over here for a number of reasons: Harmony Gold has the distribution rights to Macross in the west (IIRC), most of the shows heavily involve music and would have really expensive licensing fees, and the plots of most of the Macross shows don't really appeal to Western scifi fans, denying the show a wider audience that is necessary for it to survive overseas.

Robotech, for all its faults and weaknesses, does have a plot that appeals to Western audiences: an epic tale of humanity rising up and overcoming terrible wars that constantly bring humanity to the brink of destruction. All the Macross shows produced after Macross Plus have roughly this plot: colony fleet defeats incredibly powerful enemy through the use of music/love/whatever and humanity becomes ever more unstoppable.

Well there you go, learn something new every day :)
I've got the HG release of the first 60 eps and the only 2 discs I could find of Macros plus, but I didn't know there was more than that. (besides 2 more sets for robotech)

Red Mage

Boney
I love Robotech. I actuallly just bought the Protoculture collection last month off Amazon. I'm working my way through all three sagas once again. It's a bit more cheesy than I remember, it's still very watchable. The Macross Saga is definately my favorite if only for Breetai who's one of my favorite anime characters ever. Anyone who can completely own a varitech fighter with armed with only a pipe is the man.

However, I like to pretend the Shadow Chronicles doesn't exist similar to how I like to forget about SGU...

220px-Rick_Hunter_in_Robotech_-_Prelude_to_the_Shadow_Chronicles.jpg
That is NOT Rick Hunter...

Red Mage

Boney
You know, I've yet to get around to seeing it, but I think the redesign had to do with the fact that HG didn't have the rights to the character designs for the Macross series in the west.

Yeah. I think that's the case but HG has never come out and admit it. They just say he looks that way because he's aged. However, there's a difference between changes in appearance due to aging and just looking completely different...

That's only the tip of the iceberg, the Shadow Chronicles is a pretty huge mess. Almost none of the characters make an appearance besides a handful of Mospeada characters and Rick. No Lisa, Max, Breetai, Miriya etc. No Kyle and Minmei either but that's probably a plus :icon_lol:. The absense of these characters is probably due to the character licensing issues. HG probably felt it was better to make new characters instead of having to reimagine the all the old ones. The new ones just aren't very appealing.

If you enjoyed Robotech at all, I would advise against watching it because it was awful. The Sentinels novels are better than that movie. If you happened to have read and enjoyed the novels and Sentinels pilot movie, be advised that the Shadow Chronicles movie retcons most of it.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
If you enjoyed Robotech at all, I would advise against watching it because it was awful. The Sentinels novels are better than that movie. If you happened to have read and enjoyed the novels and Sentinels pilot movie, be advised that the Shadow Chronicles movie retcons most of it.
Personally, having read at least one of the Robotech novels and seen some analysis of the Sentinels comics and the Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles comics, I think retconning the Sentinels stuff was a good idea. It had a lot of the magic elements that plague Macross and really had no basis in the show itself and just reeks of the post-TOS Roddenberry weirdness that was channeled into TMP and early TNG.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This show is on Netflix...I can check it out now.

I still hadnt seen this show yet, but I see that its on Netflix which means I wan watch it now. So, from what you guys are saying it should be worth watching at least once. :)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I still hadnt seen this show yet, but I see that its on Netflix which means I wan watch it now. So, from what you guys are saying it should be worth watching at least once. :)

It's good if you account for the time period in which it was written in. The story itself is timeless (big bad, fight for freedom, boy finds girl etc etc). Watch it, its much better than most of the crap we feed our kids these days as "entertainment".

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's also on Hulu. The last time I checked (which was a while ago) it wasn't part of the Hulu Plus thing, so if someone wants to check it out but doesn't have Netflix, they can go there.

Red Mage

Boney

It's definately campy. I watched the show growing up so my enjoyment now is partly due to nostalgia. I'm not sure if a full grown adult who didn't grow up watching it would like too much unless they like giant fighting robots and anime. If you go into it expecting a cerebal experience like Evangelion, you might be disappointed. Robotech is a simple scifi-character drama that feels a bit disjointed mainly because it was three unrelated anime series rewritten to fit together. I would recommend alteast watching the Macross saga and the New Generation. The second series with Dana, I didn't really care for.